Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:34 PM   #1

hello everyone. I'm currently a nikon user, but I just bought an oly e520 + 12-60 (+fl-36r and a 70-300). so now I wanna get an UV and a C-PL, plus a remote control, an extra battery, and so forth. the rest of it - bag, tripod - I already own.

when it comes to filters, what I did with my d50 was just get a cheap UV filter (lower-cost hoya). but I'm wondering if there's anything else I need to know about filters. the 12-60 is a much better lens than my kit nikkor 18-55, and I wouldn't wanna ruin it with flare from a cheap UV filter. but I'm not a millionaire (yet ), so how far up the price column is it worth it to go?

plus, it seems like a regular UV won't vignette at 12mm. but what about the C-PL? is it worth it to get a slim one?

anything else I need to know, on filters or anything else? any tips would be appreciated.

cheers.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:39 AM   #2

Filters are always a personal preference item. I've gone both ways, with and without. If you're going to use a "protective" filter, I'd get a multi-coated version, no matter the brand. The two lenses I use today, the same ones you have, I've used without filters of any type with no issues. At one time I had the 14-54 and 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Zuikos and had multi-coated B+W slim filters on both. I want to say those were around $100-$120 each. The non-slim versions are little more affordable and shouldn't be an issue used with either lens. I've never used circular polarizors, so I'll let someone else comment on those.

Extra batteries and cards....always a good idea. You've got a nice outfit there. I'd use it until you run into situations where you'd find yourself in real need of an accessory before paying lots of extra money for something that just sits in your bag or at home. I love my Demb-brand "Flip it"flash bounce attachment....really gives a nice-looking light...

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

He sells a very nice, light weight flash bracket too.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:30 AM   #3

Same advice as Greg mentioned for UV applies to Circular Polararizers. I use a Hoya Super HMC CP and have been very happy with it. Here's the thing about filters. ANYTHING you put between your lens element and the subject will degrade image quality. The "chain" is only as strong as the weakest link. So, if you're going to have very nice, high quality lenses, you don't want the quality of all your images determined by a $20 piece of junk glass on the front.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:15 PM   #4

Hi Kezs,

Welcome, and nice Set-up!

I've only used UV filters thus far, both Rodenstock and B&W. I know that marketingwill play a role in perceived quality of a filter, but the Rodenstocks are currently more expensive than B&W's where I live.

I've been happy with both, and haven't tried Hoya or any other filter maker, so I can't comment on the quality of output on those brands.

From what I've heard the sharpness on that lens is astounding so to reiterate John G's comment, you don't want a cheap piece of glass covering the lens.

You can't go wrong with an extra battery, with or without an extra charger. A high quality case is another must too, although for backpacks, I've rigged up a couple of conventionals with extra padding etc, which saves me money over the Lowepro versions that didn't meet my needs fully.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:06 PM   #5

Hi Kezs,

Congrats on getting a fine combo. Greg and all have already given you great advice relative to your original post re: filters.I just thought it worth mentioning that a lot of Oly usersoften refer toWrotniak.net as a reference site for all aspects of olympus dslr camera equipment. There are technical reviews on most all of the ZD digital lenses as well as other accessories such as teleconvertors, flashes, etc.

Definitely worth a look whenever contemplating making a lens or other significant purchase. Here is a link:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

Regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:43 AM   #6

thanks, everyone.

there are some fairly cheap hoya pro1 filters on ebay (around us$ 60 to 80 for each of the UV and C-PL). seems to me like the way to go. or maybe a nikon C-PL, which seems to go for about the same price. any tips on coating/no coating, and brands?

only now am I realizing that some of the lower contrast I had when shooting in harsh light was due to cheap, non-multicoated filters. I know no filter is still better than the best UV filter out there, but I'm clumsy - though I haven't broken any UV filter so far - and I keep getting fingerprints on my filters. I wouldn't want to have to clean my billion-dollar lens (almost!) every month.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 2:46 PM   #7

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I've never used circular polarizors, so I'll let someone else comment on those.
Hi, Greg

Polarizers (linear or circular) don't do what they did many years ago, at least in terms of changing the sky color.As far as I can tell, the reason is because the high volume of commercial jet traffic across the US has put a large amount of water vapor (i.e. ice crystals) in the atmosphere at 30,000 feet or so. This makes the sky a pale blue instead of a deep blue.

No one really noticed this change over the years, until 9/11. In the first few days after that attack, when jet traffic was grounded, the sky was a deeper blue across the US. Manymeteorologists remarked on that change.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:16 AM   #8

just to let you in on it: I've been playing with my new e520+12-60+fl-36r and couldn't be happier with it. I like how you can customize almost every aspect of it, and the quality of the 12-60 is something I'd never seen before. I'll post my first shots eventually.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:51 PM   #9

I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your first images as that really is a nice combo......

To me, it's rather a shame that peopleplace such an importance on the name printed on the camera. If they tried some of the Olympus lenses i.e. the 12-60mm, 50-200mm, etc. they would be hard pressed to go elsewhere.

Congrats again!

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote