Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2008, 7:07 PM   #1

If you've been checking out LL over the last 2 weeks you would have noticed a series of pics taken with the Pana G1, so a review of sorts was due. Well here it is... and very positive as well.

http://luminous-landscape.com/review...sonic-g1.shtml

Interesting read that from base to ISO 800 the new sensor from pana is as good as any APS sensor on the market and ISO 1250 looks to be very good too. What suprised me with the review (which is very postive) was that Micheal is now a 4/3 shooter ... and thats pretty cool to read!

"
The Bottom Line The Panasonic G1 is an appealing camera. It's small size, light weight, and high image quality come together in a slightly pricey but basically affordable package. Though Lord knows I have enough cameras, I was so taken with the G1's compactness, decent standard lens, and image quality that a body and two lenses are now part of my travel kit for when a regular sized DSLR is just a bit too much weight and bulk, and pocket camera doesn't offer quite enough reach or high ISO sensitivity. There's always room for a Goldilocks."
My own thoughts.. when we see a LC1/rangefinder style M43... I think PanaLeica or Oly will hit a home run, and count me in for one of those!

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:55 PM   #2

Hey Harj,

Congrats on the new addition and thanks for the heads up on the review at LL. That Michael had good things to say about the G-1 or any 4/3 digicam is indeed a suprise.

I'll read the article in the morning and am looking forward to your posting a few pics with the G-1.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 6:14 AM   #3

Hi Harj,

I finally had a chance to read the review. Hi praise for the G1-a good read and thanks for the heads up.

And, by the way, it finally dawned on me that you didn't buy the G1 but were quoting....Duooohh!!!

Zig
Old Nov 30, 2008, 8:45 AM   #4

Hi Zig

I was a little suprised by the review, as I was expecting him to say nice idea but when APS versions are going to be better becuase of a slightly larger sensor, etc. I do like MR and his hands on reviews, and that he actually bought a G1 twin lens kit says a lot. One thing I did note was that he likes the IQ of the two lenses - from the SLR gear review we know the 40-200 is an ok'ish lens so I'm wondering what he'll say when the Leica and Oly HG m43 lenses appear and step up the ante.

Now looking at the 40-200... it looks absolutely tiny :

How much bigger a Leica D or Oly HG/SHG ZD version would be is going to be pretty interesting. When you look at that setup - m43 is going to be The street cam system , esp if your looking at something light, discreet, high IQ and good glass.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:04 PM   #5

Hi Harj,

Yes, I too caught the SLR Gear review of the m43 40-200mm lens. I was hoping that the review would be better than it actually was. Having said that, it still is a marvel that Panasonic was able to release a lens with that range, in that size.

As for MR, I'm looking forward tohis in-depth report complete with sample shotsusing the 40-200. He'll be reviewing it as a reviewer AND an owner.

One thing I did notice in his report of the G1 was that image quality at ISO800 and ISO1250 was quite good. Can't remember what he said exactly but it was a very positive statement.

Overall, with the release of this camera and the soon to be released Micro 43 by Olympus, this coming year will be quite interesting as the fourthirds system continues to grow and improve.

I wish I had deeper pockets.

regards,

Zig

Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:53 AM   #6

I surely do agree that the Panasonic G-1 is a very interesting camera. However, it is fairly high priced for the current camera market.

I would dearly love to have one, but I will wait to see what Oly does with their forthcoming Micro 4/3 entry, as Panasonic Price is more that I want to pay right now.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:18 PM   #7

The G1 is certainly an appealing camera because of its small size combined with good IQ. However, I'll wait for the Oly first micro 4/3. Based on its prototype, it looks like an even more compact camera than the G1.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote