Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:04 AM   #1

These were shot using either the 12-60 or 70-300 Digital Zuikos. Shot RAW and processed in Olympus Studio.

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...31727127_wpHFE

One super plus in starting to use the E1 again, files convert via Studio to high quality JPEG'svery fastdue to the 5MP size and upload to Smugmug in seemingly no time compared to the 10MP files of the E510, and outside in full sunlight, the metering system of the E1seems far less apt to clip highlights. On 2-3 occasions, I actually found myself dialing in POSITIVE exposure compensation.

It's also nice to have the (comparitively) huge, brightfinder of the E1 compared to the E510, and I have the grid screen mounted in mine, making the leveling of landscapes and placing off-centersubjects in the traditional 1/3 intersections of the findera snap. Next weekend I have a wedding on Saturday and a 30 person family portrait session on Sunday. Today was just for fun..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:56 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

Your images are a great reminder of what can be done with aclassic 5MP camera. I think we all get caught up in the pixel race at times and forget just how good some of the older cameras are. But ahhh, if it only had on board image stabilization.

BTW, thanks for posting the link to your gallery. I had a chance to again look at the images taken with the E-1 and 7-14mm lens on your trip to France. Now, those indeed are wonderful images.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:21 PM   #3

Hi Zig!

Yes, that was a fun trip.Several months after returning, I simply wasn't using it enough locally to rationalize tomyself keeping $1,600 invested in that one lens so I sold it for what turned out to be a price within $150 of what I paid for it...less than it would have cost to rent one for the 13 months Iowned it.

My intentions have been to re-purchase it at some point but, darn it, *other* expenses keep getting in the way. I just turned 47 and had my first root canal and crown last week. Next month I'm having all my wisdom teeth removed and I'm hoping to be able to replace my PC with an iMac relatively soon, so new lenses have fallen down the priority list in the short term, at least.

Can't really complain about what I've got right now, although the 70-300 can start to become a challenge on the E1 once you need to start upping the ISO setting in lower light. You really need the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 with that camera, which I did have back in 2006 during the Paris trip. I also had a sore back every evening when we got back to the hotel from lugging that three lens combination around that city all day. I think if I went back there today, I'd probably rather have a combination of something like the E510, 9-18 and 40-150 Zuikos.

One thing I've noticed in looking at comments about the new 50-200 SWD lens, it evidently is not an f2.8 lens nearly as long into the zoom range as the original version, which was f2.8until it got pretty close to the (35mm equivalent)200mm settingand only thendropped to f2.9 for a while longer.

Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:27 PM   #4

A really great series, Greg-

I also pulled my E-1 out this morning (12/07). Here is a snap with the Zukio 40-150mm.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:10 PM   #5

Hi Sarah!

Nice image. It really is hard to complain a lot about what the E1 can still do today compared to the consumer equivalents Olympus is selling. The ISO 800 and higherperformance of the E510 is better and the image stabilization does extend the usefulness of my 70-300, but the E1's exposure system, especially for outdoor shooting in full sunlight, produces far better control with less clipped highlight issues.

After using an E510, the E1's LCD looks REALLY small, but after using the E1 for a while, the LCD doesn't look nearly so bad, and the E1'sbig built-in buffer that gives you a 12 RAW image burst capability is still better than the Oly consumer models give, and autofocus speed with the 12-60 SWD is as good as I need.

The more I look at things, rather than the E30 or E520, I may well use the E1 for a while, E510 when I need the high ISO performance, and look to get a new E3 later next year at the end of it'sproduction cycleand keep the benefits of the nicer, bigger finder.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:44 PM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
The more I look at things, rather than the E30 or E520, I may well use the E1 for a while, E510 when I need the high ISO performance, and look to get a new E3 later next year at the end of it'sproduction cycleand keep the benefits of the nicer, bigger finder.
Absolutely!
As appealing(to me) as the E-1 is, and the price is certainly right, I too keep looking at the E3. I'm holding out 'til the release of the E-30. My thinking is that as soon as the E-30 arrives, pricing for the E-3 will drop significantly. It's already available on B&H and Adorama for 1298.00US

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote