Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:25 PM   #31

cristovao12 wrote:
Quote:
OK, lots to respond to today...HA!

First, dnas and Sarah, I'm glad you're settling your discussion board differences. I didn't want to be the one who started the post that evolved into a war...HA!

dnas, I did indeed try my Zuiko OM 50mm f1.4 last night and I found it very hard to manually focus. When I get home tonight, I'm going to try again and post the results for all to see. It should be noted though that the results of last night's test was far better than my initial attempt. BTW, I was indeed using Aperture priority when shooting with the OM lens.

Zig, first and foremost, thanks so much for the compliments on my photos compared to past shots you've seen of mine. I do have you to thank for encouraging me to use NeatImage as you know, I was reluctant. I trust you clicked on each image to see larger versions to really see if I'm doing the right thing in the application. It almost seems too easy and I do sometimes tweak the settings rather than use the default. I tried Noise Ninja back when you first suggested it but didn't really like it. I may have to try it again now that it's the only standalone application available for Mac. Either that or dish out $1000 for Photoshop, which I'm sure all of you would agree that money would be better spent on a lens. As far as the ISO increments, I wasn't referring to anything higher than 1600. On the E500, there were more choices between 800 and 1600 while on the E510, there are none.

HarjTT, thanks for chiming in. After taking dnas' suggestion to try the 50mm OM Zuiko, I found that for concerts I'll definitely need something with more range as 50mm is too close in such close quarters. With that and everyone elses comments and suggestions, I'm now leaning towards the Sigma 14-50mm f2.0 as it's around $500 and gives me more flexibility with the range. I just hope that f2.0 will be good enough to improve the lighting and quality of my concert shots and hopefully I don't get a Sigma dud. If so though, I'll just follow the advice of someone else on another thread to make sure I buy it from a retailer with a good reputation for warranty/repairs/exchanges.
Yes, I did have a look at all the images you posted and they ARE much improved. Neatimage is a great piece of software that is so easy to use and your photos show that you're certainly comfortable using it. BTW, I compared them to a lot of rock concert imagesthat I found on the web. They compare quite favorably.

FWIW Photoshop Elements 6.0 is a stripped down version of Photoshop. It sells for around 60-70 bucks and allows for Neatimage to be used as a plug-in with a MAC operatig system.

Also, as for manually focusing a legacy lens, the E-510's small viewfinder makes it ratherdifficultto properly focus in a dark environment even if you are using a 'bright' lens. A split focusingscreen really does help you quickly focus manually. I got one from a supplier on EBay for around 20bucks. It works well, doesn't appear to affect metering in any way. and is easy to install. But it appears that you've moved away from that as a potential solution so I'll leave it at that.

Looking forward to seeing your results taken with the 50mm f1.4 and good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:13 PM   #32

cristovao12 wrote:
Quote:
dnas, I did indeed try my Zuiko OM 50mm f1.4 last night and I found it very hard to manually focus. When I get home tonight, I'm going to try again and post the results for all to see. It should be noted though that the results of last night's test was far better than my initial attempt. BTW, I was indeed using Aperture priority when shooting with the OM lens.
Hmmmmm...... OK.

It's true that it requires practice to manually focus. Did you use liveview with the 7x magnifier? (the green box?)

Another help would be an adapter with focus confirm. Does you adapter have that?

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:15 PM   #33

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
dnas-

I apologize for taking your comments incorrectly. I think all of us are commited to helping Cristo get the photos he needs.

Sarah Joyce
Ok, let's put the past behind us, and be friends!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote