Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:37 PM   #1

I don't see a single Zuiko Digital lens whose aperture is larger than f2.0. Are there any third party lenses that venture into the f1 range?

I had some clown tell me on Friday that if a camera doesn't have an f1 lens available to it, then it's not a good camera.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:44 PM   #2

Of course, as soon as I post I see Sigma carries a 50mm f1.4. Anyone have any experience with this lens? I'm trying to budget for a larger aperture lens for concert shooting and was about to spring for the 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 Zuiko lens.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:56 PM   #3

TheSigma 50mm f1.4 is a relatively new lens for everyone and looks to be very good. Go to DPReview and check out the review..

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/

It should be an even better performer on an Olympus DSLR since the sensor area is smaller and utilizes less of the periphery of the optical system of the lens.

On a 4/3rd's body, you need to remember this 50mm lens is going to be the equivalent of a 100mm lens in 35mm terms, so this is a short tele/portrait lens, not a general photography lens.

The better general shooting lens would be the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f1.4, which is the 35mmequivalent of a 50mm lens..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4_Leica_D.html

Expensive? Oh yes, but I've seen some really, really nice images shot with it on Olympus DSLR's over on both the Olympus and Panasonic forums at DRReview.

Regarding that f1 thing....go looking for an f1 lens for any system. They are few and far between. Canon had a 50mm f1L at one time. It was over $2,000 and hasn't been made now for a long time. Nikon never had an f1 lens for their SLR/DSLR systems. They had a 50mm f1.2 back in the manual focus film days and an f1.1 lens even further back when rangefinders were the thing in the 1950's/early 60's, but never anything faster than their normal 50mm f1.4 since AF lenses took over the world.

If you've got $7,000 and are looking for something to blow it on, there's always this option, assuming you can find a Leica M to 4/3rd's adaptor to use with it..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...octilux_M.html

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:14 PM   #4

I have a copy of the Sigma F 1.4 30mm that I use with my Nikon D-50. I have excellent results with it. Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:07 PM   #5

What about the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8? Is the difference between f1.4 and f2.8 great enough that I should stick with the 30mm f1.4?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:51 PM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
The better general shooting lens would be the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f1.4, which is the 35mmequivalent of a 50mm lens..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4_Leica_D.html

Expensive? Oh yes, but I've seen some really, really nice images shot with it on Olympus DSLR's over on both the Olympus and Panasonic forums at DRReview.
I use the PanaLeica 25mmF1.4 a lot in low light, and it is indeed a great lens. But what folks tend to forget sometimes is that at F1.4 you don't have squat for Depth of Field. I can't imagine using an F/1 very often - the subject would need to fit in a very narrow plane of focus.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:57 PM   #7

cristovao12 wrote:
Quote:
I don't see a single Zuiko Digital lens whose aperture is larger than f2.0. Are there any third party lenses that venture into the f1 range?

I had some clown tell me on Friday that if a camera doesn't have an f1 lens available to it, then it's not a good camera.
As was noted above, thelenses available from Nikon and Canon aren't faster than F2.8. I believe the reason that Oly and Leica produce F/2 or faster lenses is because the 4/3 format doesn't perform as well as full frame sensors at high ISO - in this case size matters. But if you have a CaNikon with the APS-C sensor you're pretty much out of luck- you can't go faster than F2.8 and your sensor isn't appreciably larger than a 4/3, so you're stuck withspending thousands for a FF camera body.

Yep - that guy who told you that is indeed a clown.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:14 PM   #8

cristovao12 wrote:
Quote:
What about the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8? Is the difference between f1.4 and f2.8 great enough that I should stick with the 30mm f1.4?
Have you ever used a lens as fast as f1.4?

Depth of field in incredibly thin. If AF is just a little off, you are out of focus. Even if you hit the AF right on, it can still look soft. f1.4 lenses are not typically good performers at f1.4 because most of those lenses are old designs going back 10-15 years or even more. The more modern designs like the Panny/Leica 25mm f1.4 and Sigma 30 and 50mm 1.4's will be better f1.4lenses.

While newer,and the Sigma 30mm f1.4 can be very good, I've alsoseen plenty of complaints from Olympus DSLR users about it being soft at f1.4, some of which may be users not used to using a lens that fast, and some could be Sigma's well known quality control issues with many lenses. If you buy a Sigma lens and don't think it's producing what it should, send it back and get another one. It alsomakes sense in buying Sigma lenses to make sure you are buying from a store with a consumer-oriented return policy, not just the store with the lowest price.

An f1.4 lens doesmake the finder extremely bright and easy to use all the time since viewing with areflex system is done wide open, but you will be better off most of the time using an f1.4 lens at f2, saving f1.4 as a last option.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:22 PM   #9

cristovao12 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Cristovao12,

How goes the rock concert scene these days? If my memory serves me, you've got an E-500 that you were using to shoot rock concerts for your blog. I imagine that the lens question just posted is relative to that use.

One concern using a prime lens that I can think of first off is that you and your camera have to move in order to properly frame the shot your looking to get. Probably a little difficult in a crowded nightclub or similar venue. That's why the use a zoom is popular.

Ted and Greg have already mentioned that fast primes have a razor thin depth of field, so that makes getting a proper shot of the entire stage in focus almost impossible.

OneOlympus fast zoom that would probably be your best option is the 14-35mm f2.0. But that's pretty pricey-about $1,850.00.

I know this is an Olympus DSLR discussion group, so I'm hoping the other forum members forgive me, but thinking out-of-the-box you justmay want to look at the

Panasonic LX3 compact digicam. It has a 24-60mm f2.0-2.8 Leica lens with 10MP. Has really good low light performance, good high ISO performance, can shoot in auto or manual and can shoot RAW files. Best of all, it costs $400.00.

It is a very highly rated camera that might be your solution.

You can read a review here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

As much as I love my Olympus E-510, I'd be hard pressed to get a 14-35mm f2.0 lens since you would really need an E-3 DSLR to get the full benefit out of that lens.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:43 PM   #10

Excellent info, thanks guys!

With all that in mind, what are your thoughts on the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and Zuiko Digital 18-54mm f2.8-3.5 for low light, concert shooting? I've read a number of posts that Sigma lenses can be problematic and I might get my hands on a Zuiko for a pretty good deal.