Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:37 PM   #1

Well, with new camera, an E-520,in hand-

The Cable Man was my subject. I used the Fl-50 with a diffusser to fill out the shadows.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2

Nice capture, Sarah. How do you like the E520?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:42 AM   #3

Hi Tullio-

Well, honestly,I am so new to the E-520 that I have barely gotten my feet wet. The E-520 appears to be a great camera, and it will keep me busy learning all of the in's and out's of it for quite awhile, I am sure.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:07 PM   #4

Hi Sarah,

First off, I wish you good luck with the E-520.

Secondly, I do have to apologize to you as I didn'tsee your question relative to my thought on either the E-520 or the e-420 in another post 'til now.

I do have to ask you why you chose to get the E-520?

If you don't mind my candor, I know that your a frequent contributor to the "what camera should I buy? Forum. Iusually scan it most every day and based on the input by the regulars, I get the clear sense that the Olympus line of DSLRs are pretty much treated like the red-headed stepchild of the family. So you have to understand that I'm a bit surprised that you wouldget one.

I want to be clear that I'm not saying that you dismiss the Olympus brand necessarily. Just that most of the respondants simply dismiss Olympus out of hand.

I realize that you just got it. So, after you get a chance to familiarize yourself with it, it would ge good to hear what you think.

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:44 PM   #5

Hi Zig-

I had an E-410 which I was unhappy with due to its very limited dynamic range. I also had an E-500 which has become outdated.

I did a lot of research paying particular attention to E-520 photos, and how it seemed like the E-520, while not a huge leap forward, was producing great looking results for other photographers. I also noted that the price for the E-520 body had fallen substantially. So, with the advantage of adding built-in IS via the body. and in view of the fact that I had all of the lenses, and a FL-50 flash it was a pretty easy choice.

Now by Photokina 2009 I might be laid back on my heels by what Olympus brings out as a new E-530, but I was willing to take a chance. You are correct, I am only two days into the E-520, but I like what I am seeing.

I was out on the back deck this morning shooting the neighbor's house. I wanted to test how the E-520 handled a white house in bright sunshine, using auto WB. I was pleased.

I promise to keep you posted.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images