Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:05 AM   #1

Sptted this over at 4-3's:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/11/n...iece_cover.php

Looks pretty handy to have esp for the E3 - the eye piece cover on my E3 comes off way to easy so I think this is something that I'll be getting.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:16 AM   #2

Hi Harj,

Now that looks like a handy gagdet that makes a lot of sense.

And, knowing Oly, it will be reasonably priced-probably around 150bucks:?

Seriously, I'm going to look into getting one as I do a good amount of tripod work. That will definitely come in handy.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:33 AM   #3

Hi Harj,

In an attempt to see if I could get more information as to where/how to buy this item, I googled the EPC-1 and stumbled upon the Olympus website covering the Asia and European markets. Much to my surprise, Oly provides 3 separate focusing screens for the E system DSLR camera.

This is sometihng new to me. I tried finding this page on the USA website for Olympus and no such items exist. Not sure if these items are brand new or just not advertised in the States.

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/prod...tical_adapter/

Zig

Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:37 PM   #4

Very handy.

I have owned cameras with this same type thing before. I want to say the Canon Elan 7 film DSLR came with the sametypeaccessory that fit on to the strap. You'd just have to remove the rubber shroud from the eyepiece and then slide this over the finder.

As cool as they are I have never, not even once, ever used the finder curtain on any camera I have owned that had one other than just to check that it worked, be it the E1 or Nikon F4 or F3HP cameras many, many years ago. Never used that thing with the Elan 7 either.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:53 PM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
In an attempt to see if I could get more information as to where/how to buy this item, I googled the EPC-1 and stumbled upon the Olympus website covering the Asia and European markets. Much to my surprise, Oly provides 3 separate focusing screens for the E system DSLR camera.
That FS-2 screen with the microprism center and grid lines really interests me. I wonder how much it would cost to get it installed in an E3. Even the Katzeye for the E-3 is not really user-installable.

Scaling up Greg's prediction, probably $800...

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:12 PM   #6

Hi Ted,

I'm not really sure if this is really old information or not.. I kept trying to google the screens and actually found an FS-1 screen for an E-1 available from KEH.com. They specialize in used camera equip. and are located in Atlanta. They have two of the FS-1 screens and the pricing is outragously low $1.79.

Here's a link:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...p;GBC=&GCC=

It may be that a phone call to them might be worth it regarding getting more info.

Zig
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:39 PM   #7

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
That FS-2 screen with the microprism center and grid lines really interests me. I wonder how much it would cost to get it installed in an E3.

I saw someone on the Oly forum at DPReview received a quote from Olympus USA of around $70, plus what it costs you to ship the camera to them.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:47 PM   #8

Her's a pretty good shot of the screen

http://www.olympus.ro/consumer/dslr_fs-2.htm
Old Dec 11, 2008, 5:12 PM   #9

That's not a bad price but I'll need to find out if it works on an E3 and if someone local can do it. My backup cam is an E500 which for low-light photography is equivalent to a Chevy backing up aPorsche. I wonder if i can get it installed with a short turn-around time.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:24 PM   #10

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Sptted this over at 4-3's:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/11/n...iece_cover.php

Looks pretty handy to have esp for the E3 - the eye piece cover on my E3 comes off way to easy so I think this is something that I'll be getting.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
My E-330 has a neat little switch which blocks off theeyepiece when needed. I wonder why Oly didn't keep that for the newer models?

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote