Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:50 AM   #11

Good morning all,

I was surfing the net this morning and caught this article about a fellow named Alex Majoliwho won an award in 2004 as National Magazine Photgrapher of the year over at DPreview:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6468-7844

It's of interestin that the photog'sequipment used were Olympus C-5050, C-5060, and a C-8080P&S digicam. Of more interest isthat at the tail end of the article the photographer appears to be describing a micro4/3 slr as his ideal camera.

Anyways, good article with great photos.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:00 PM   #12

Zig-

I agree that there is indeed a lot of potential for future development in the Micro4/3 format. The first hardware that we have seen is the Panasonic G-1. Next will probably come from Olympus. Olympus will probably make their announcement of a Micro4/3 format camera as part of the media build-up to the big photo shows in early 2009.

As late as October, Olympus was showing a Micro4/3 mock-up camera, see the attached photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:36 PM   #13

If Olympus has half a brain (?), they willsupply the 4/3-to-Micro 4/3 adapter as part of the kit when they introduce their Micro 4/3 camera. For those who want to buy it separately later, the adapter should be sold at cost.

The two branches of the 4/3 family should be seen as complementary parts of big system. Current 4/3 owners should be encouraged to buy Micro 4/3 cameras as compact alternatives which can make use of their lens investment. New buyers of the Micro 4/3 should be encouraged to look at the range of full size lenses that they can use on their Micro 4/3 and later use if they move to a full DSLR.

That adapter is the critical bridge that makes a unified system out of two, otherwise incompatible, systems.

It's in Oly's best interest to make that adapter a common, inexpensive item that encourages growth of both parts of the format.

I'm afraid that Oly might look at the adapter as it's own little profit center. Oly stuff is expensive enough as it is. I'm afraid the marketing guys might think they can make a nice buck by selling adapters at $159.00. In that case, they'll probably sell a few very profitable adapters and NOT sell a few thousand cameras and/or lenses.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:03 PM   #14

It's a pity that only a few Zuiko lenses will work on the G1. I was hoping that Olympus would provide a firmware upgrade at least to the old 14-54mm or better yet, to the ZD 70-300mm since the G1 kit lens covers the WA range. Nevertheless, the G1 is an attractive camera and Amazon is now selling it for $733 (down from $799).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:13 PM   #15

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
It's a pity that only a few Zuiko lenses will work on the G1. I was hoping that Olympus would provide a firmware upgrade at least to the old 14-54mm or better yet, to the ZD 70-300mm since the G1 kit lens covers the WA range. Nevertheless, the G1 is an attractive camera and Amazon is now selling it for $733 (down from $799).
My suspicion is that Olympus will eventually get around to doing justthat. But is holding off until the release of their micro four thirds version as well as the E-30

If I were in charge of Olympus'marketing,I would not want to take away from potential sales of Olympus' newproducts i.e. E-30s and the new micro 4/3 cameraby offering a perfect solution for existing users of Oly Dslrs to go off and buy a lot of G1's.

Zig
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:44 AM   #16

Just whenI thought that the excitement over the G1 had died down, Pop Photo goes and names it the camera of the year!

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5678...ix-dmc-g1.html

Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:06 PM   #17

Well, Zig, on one hand I agree with you but on the other, I think it is Oly's best interest to get people to adopt the 4/3 system. After all, it is a system that has been widely criticized in terms of its limitations resulted from the small sensors. I just don't believe they will upgrade the old 14-54mm because they are releasing a new one, so they most likely want people to buy the new lens instead of keep using the old one.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote