Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:31 AM   #1

Hi all,

Caught this link at Fourthirdsphoto.com :

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...2/11/9815.html

It shows photos taken with the G-1 using various 4/3 lenses and an adapter.

Quite impressive.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:17 PM   #2

Hi Zig

I had a look at the pics and I'm impressed with the IQ and colour in a lot of teh shots. Very nice indeed - looks very promising to me. I wonder when Stev's review will be up ?

On a related note, it looks like MR is really liking the G1 as he's been postign G1 shots non stop the last few weeks, and today theres a new pic which I really like - captured the moment just spot on if you ask me:

Taken with G1 + 40-200 Lumix G lens 1/15 f8 @ ISO200

What I was planning on posting was this video that MR had recorded showing you how small the G1 really is compared to the Canon XSi and Nikon D40, and those are pretty small APC DSRL's.

Here's the video:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/vi...-compare.shtml

Is it me or does he really like the G1 ??? :O :G

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:41 PM   #3

Hi Harj,

I was especially impressed with the shots of the butterflies and the 9-18mm lens photos were pretty cool as well.

Yes, MR seems to be quite pleased with this little performer.. I did catch his video earlier in the week and he continues to post impressive sample shots taken with the G-1. I'm actually happy that he posted the video comparing the sizes of the 3 different cameras. I knew that the G-1 was small, but when compared to the Canon and Nokin, it's a midget.

Everything I've seen, to this point confirms that this is a great camera. Now, for Panasonic and Oly to release some additional lenses. It's nice having an adapter that allows the utilixation of existing 4/3 lenses, butthat defeats thedesign intentof having a small camera.

Zig
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:01 PM   #4

There are still things this camera can't do that'd keep me from being too interested. I like shooting action, panning and shooting bursts. I've had a feeling, as good as the camera can follow focus while panning with the camera, as soon as the shutter is released the EVF would blank out like all digicams do.

Haven't really found anyone with the camera yet who has provided anyvisual evidencethe camera is useable that way, and Pop Photo in this month's issue where they tested the G1 did indeed try and reports there's still a blanking out once you actually start shooting a burst, meaning it's virtually impossible to shoot bursts while continuing to pan and follow a subject in the finder. If you arewilling to keep the camera in one position andtry timingthat one shot, or just let the subject run through the field of view as you burst this is no issue, but I'll bet there isalso still *just* enough of a delay between what you are seeing in the EVFand what you actually shoot that there needs to be some anticipation used to not just miss what you are trying to record when shooting a subject in motion.

It would also be interesting to see what happens when you mount an external flash and use it in TTL mode with the camera set to manual exposure modeso you can set your own exposure. I often use my DSLR like this, setting a manual exposure of something like 1/125 sec at f5.6 or even f8 or f11 if I'm shooting up close. With EVF's in the past, the view always was based on the prevailingambient light, so if you set an EVF camera up at 1/125 second at f8, especially indoors and/or at night, the EVF goes completely dark even though the ambient light in the room is irrelevent since you are using flash. The camera needs to *recognize* there is a flash in use and keep the finder bright enough to beuseable so you can frame and shoot. Does the G1 allow for this? Again, seen nothing posted by anyone about this, but I have seen in low light the view gets pretty grainy and the refresh rate slows...again, not good.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:09 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

All the points you raise are valid and I've yet to see any samples or reviews that answer your concerns.

I keep thinking that it would suit me just fine to have as a street camera whenever I'd go to the city or on a vacation.I remember how much I enjoyed using my C-5060wz when my wife and I went to the Mediterranean a few years ago. It was small and I could carry it around all day inthe pocket of my cargo shorts ( yeah,I looked like the ugly American)The only thing I missed, at the time, was the ability tochangelenses for different shooting situations-specifically, it would have been nice to have a longlens. We were ona cruise and at times we were too far away for the C-5060WZ' lens to get the shot I was looking for.

I generally don't do a lot of action photography, and for that I'd still use my DSLR. I like taking landscape and shots of static objects, people, etc.

For the type of use I would give it, the camera, with it's small size and ability to change lenses,appears to be an intriguing option.

By the time I'm ready to do something, another new and exciting camera will come along. Of course, theres also the Panny LX3 which goes in a totally different direction. So many choices:?:?

Zig

Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:28 AM   #6

Hi Zig-

Please keep in mind that we have not yet seen the Olympus proposal for the Micro4/3 format. It is reputed to be even smaller than the Panasonic G-1. I imagine that we will see it announced right before Photokina 2009 or some other big photo show.

Itmight have the ability to use the Zuiko lens linefrom the git-go without the need a separate adaptor. A lens like the ZD 25mm pancake lens would be an ideal beginning point for the Olympus Micro4/3 format. Using the ZD lenses will provide more truly fast lenses that will address Greg Chappel's concerns as well.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:36 AM   #7

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hi Zig-

Please keep in mind that we have not yet seen the Olympus proposal for the Micro4/3 format. It is reputed to be even smaller than the Panasonic G-1. I imagine that we will see it announced right before Photokina 2009 or some other big photo show.

Itmight have the ability to use the Zuiko lens linefrom the git-go without the need a separate adaptor. A lens like the ZD 25mm pancake lens would be an ideal beginning point for the Olympus Micro4/3 format. Using the ZD lenses will provide more truly fast lenses that will address Greg Chappel's concerns as well.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
The registration distance is shorter in the micro standard. With that fact in mind, there will need to be an adapter necessary for any 4/3 lens.

That's the downside. The upside is that almost any lens will be useable via adapter due to that short registration distance. Think Leica M lenses.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:19 PM   #8

Thanks, Greg-

I appreciate you providing more details on the technical requirements for the Micro4/3 format. I sincerely believe that the Micro4/3 format could really offer Olympus a much needed sales boost which they need badly.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:46 PM   #9

Greg Quoted:

"The registration distance is shorter in the micro standard. With that fact in mind, there will need to be an adapter necessary for any 4/3 lens.

That's the downside. The upside is that almost any lens will be useable via adapter due to that short registration distance. Think Leica M lenses.

Greg"

In addition to an adapter being required, some of the OLY ZD lenses will not be able to auto-focus. According to a recent Oly firmware update announcement, after the firmware isupdated in the lens, the 28mm pancake and 40-150mm ZD lenses will auto-focus. At this point, all the others will have to be focused manually.

As for thinking about Leica M glass...............hmmmm that would be sweet. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately:roll my pockets aren't that deep.

And speaking of Leica,the Oly micro 4/3 camera is another potentially exciting alternative. It reminds me of a Leicafor sure.

Zig

Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:17 PM   #10

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
And speaking of Leica,the Oly micro 4/3 camera is another potentially exciting alternative. It reminds me of a Leicafor sure.

Zig

Pana has a 7-14 f4 on the micro roadmap. I've always lusted after the Zuiko 7-14, and with the limits of the 4/3 mount lifted, the size and potential quality will make the micro camera an interesting possibility.

I'm really quite happy with my current Oly equipment, but the new standard has some potential advantages. Most interesting to me are the ability to design extremely compact wide to normal lenses (see the Leica M series as a starting point) and making such lenses faster than is currently common with the 4/3 mount. The body could be very compact too, with a shutter wisper quiet.

I'm sure I won't be an early adopter, but my eyes are open. The slow zooms currently available don't light my fire, but the possibilities ARE interesting.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote