Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:01 PM   #11

Nice shots Tuillio.

Was the cavern well lit? You shots are clean and without so many of the harsh shadows you would expect from the use of an on-camera flash on that kind of subject. Since you were in a line ofpeople, I'm guessing there was no time to set up off camera flash.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:31 PM   #12

Nicely done.

I've never been with camera when in caves, but they are beautiful.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:37 PM   #13

Thanks, Steven and Greg for your comments. The caverns are actually very poorly lit. There are spot lights behind the formations but that's about it. I was surprised myself as how sharp the images were considering that the shots were hand held and in most cases, w/o flash so I could capture the natural lighting and colors. That's what's so great about IS.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:43 PM   #14

Hi Tulio

Now those are some seriously cool pics ! Great selection of pics there and that just made me think that what a great place it is to be able to go and shoot!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:50 PM   #15

Thanks for the comments, Harj. As you can tell, there are major differences between the various formations. The pictures were taken in three different caverns. Each one has its own, unique formations. The only problem shooting inside the caverns is the lack of light. Luckily, the E520 has a very efficient IS system, which allowed me to shoot at low shutter speeds w/o picture blur. I did not want to increase ISO too much.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:48 PM   #16

Tullio-

That is a really great photo series! Thanks for posting them.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:31 AM   #17

Thanks for commenting, Sarah.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:56 AM   #18

Tullio,theseries aboveproves to begreataincentive forspeologyAh, the stalactites look like the teeth ofsome Mesozoic creatures! Youtook thesenoise freeandblur freeimages with noticeable colour accuracywith a camera which wouldn't give a shoulder-ache, vital for outdoor(!!) sports..

With this occasion I wish you a happy new year
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:31 AM   #19

Thanks for your comments, Bahadir. Photographing inside those caverns can be tricky primarily because the tour guide moves on quickly and does not allow any one to lag behind. The best way is to be at the end of the group so you don't hold anybody back but you still have to keep moving along. As you can imagine, there is very little time to compose, adjust the exposure/ISO and shoot. However, there are some longer stops in which one can take pictures without being in such a big rush. The problem is, those spots are much more open and the formations are much further away and unless you have a long zoom, you can not get too much details.

Anyway, you (and all here at Steve's) have a Happy New Year as well and may 2009 be a good year for all of us!

Cheers!