Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:35 PM   #1

Hi all

Newbie RAW user

I have had a Olympus E500 since March 2007, and have always shot in JPEG mode which produced files sizes of between 4.5mb to 6 mb.

Last week i decided to shoot in RAW because i heard it keeps details that JPEG throws away.

So i shot 90 photos (average photo 18mb in size)

Now if i use Photoshop CS2 Raw software, if open and re-save the RAW as JPEG at the highest setting it saves at only 960k

or if i use just photoshop and re-save a Raw as JPEG (highest setting) i only get a file size of 3.5 mb never more

Is more information lost through software based JPEG conversion than Camera JPEG.

Why i'm i not getting the 5-6mb file sizes as before

thanks

E-500 (17-45mm)
Panasonic FX10

zack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:08 PM   #2

Filesize is determined by several factors, but in this case I'd look at:

Resolution...are you saving the image in its original size, or did you reduce the pixel size.

Compression...what compression are you using when you save the file in Photoshop?

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:59 PM   #3

HQ

1/4

pixel count

3200 x 2400

compression

1/2.7

RAW Photo info

Adone RGB 1998

8 Bits channel

3264 x 2448

240 pixels inch

photoshop cs3 RAW 4.0

image options

quailty 10 maximum

A 13.8 mb RAW file becomes a 3.5mb JPEG file.... as before the standard E500 JPEG files use to be 5-6mb

Have i spoiled my day out

Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:28 PM   #4

You'll have to wait for someone who specifically uses Photoshop to tell you what settings to use.

zack71 wrote:
Quote:
Have i spoiled my day out
As for spoiling your day out, you did do your work on BACKUP copies of the images, leaving the original RAW files intact, right?

You NEVER work on your only copy of your images, whether you are working in RAW or JPEG.

The whole idea is to keep your original files so you can go back to them in case a new program comes along that can do a better job, or you try to do something different with the original file.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:40 PM   #5

Sounds like you are shooting RAW+JPEG.

When you process the RAW file in Adobe Camera RAW and the JPEG opens in Photoshop, when you "save as" make sure when the last box opens up you pick a high number to save the file using the least compression. There's a scale that runs from 1-12, with 12 being the least compression. When I process my E1's 5 Megapixel RAW files, I always wind up with around a 4-5 MB JPEG file. If you pick a low number, the files do get extremely small.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:40 PM   #6

Sorry, duplicate post....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:53 PM   #7

I don't think that your day was spoiled -- at least insofar as your RAW files go. I don't believe that Camera Raw allows RAW files to be overwritten. When you process the RAW file through ACR, it saves the settings that existed at the time when you saved/exported the RAW file as a separate file from the RAW. It saves the settings as metadata either in (your choice) the Camera Raw database or as .XMP files stored in the folder containing the RAW files. So it never actally alters the RAW file itself. You can open a RAW file and re-do it as many times as you want and the only thing that changes is the metadata.

I've never saved straight out of ACR, so I have no comment as to whether your experience is typical.

Your question about whether Photoshop's JPEG compression scheme is throwing away more data (via more aggressive compression at its highest quality setting) than the camera's own compression scheme is an interesting question. I can't answer that.

Do you add sharpening to the JPEG's in question before they're saved? I've noticed surprising differences between the file sizes of JPEG's saved without sharpening and the same files re-saved (at the same quality setting) with sharpening. I don't remember offhand how big the difference was. Probably not big enough to account for your experience.

If you don't get a good answer here on that question, try asking Adobe and posting whay say. I'd be interested in the responce.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:16 PM   #8

Hi Zack

Now thats a pretty good question! Ok, here's my set up with ACR 4.6 but I think the settings will be very similar :

Colour Space: Adobe RGB
Depth: 16bit
Size: 10MP
Resolution: 314 dpi

Now I think all EX in cam's resolutions is 314dpi - Adobe CS/LR/ACR by default use 240 and 8bits, so you want to change that in your settings.

Once I've made the necessary PP (inc any sharpening) to save it as a jpeg - change the mode from 16bit to 8bit. As Greg mentioned you want the jpeg IQ setting to be at its maximum = 12. In my experience the jpeg file size from PP does get effected by the amount of sharpening/USM thats applied to a file as well usually the ACR file will be 1-2MB larger than the incam jpeg, but sometimes it may actually be smaller but not by much.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:37 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply guys...

In Adobe CS3 RAW 4after opening the RAW file, there were just too many options to choose (as a Newbie) to edit the photo, so i just clicked the 'Auto' button and saved them as Jpeg.

I than deleted the RAW file from the E500, i still got kinda low file sizes 3.69mb where'as the JPG files tend to be 5 mb

Is the advantage of RAW so that you get more control over the image settings, or is it the fact you would get less noise in your images at high ISO (400+)

Even when shooting in JPEG i use to go into Photoshop

Adjust auto contrast and then unmask sharp ... and thats it

I just don't know how to get aphoto more better IQ wise

Ps

Is my kit lens any good

4 photos converted from RAW to JPEGembeded profiles (resized in photoshop to 1024 x 768)

Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:38 PM   #10

Hi Zack

As your using ACR 4 - I;d download the latest update to it ACR 4.6 and install that. With regards to RAW files its a pretty interesting question and one that does get asked quiet a bit. Here's a wee tid bit from LL about workflow - its got a nice section on RAW:

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...workflow.shtml
"Regard a RAW file as you would a film transparency or negative. It is the score sheet from which you "play" the image. I never discard RAW files unless they are real duds, like an accidental shot of my boots. One never knows. Storage is cheap. Regret is expensive.
Remember that if you shoot RAW you needn't worry about White Balance, color balance or sharpness settings in the camera."
Now Olympus in cam jpegs are usally pretty much superb when you get the exposure, white balance just right and you might not be able to match or better it even with a RAW conversion unless you used Oly Studio or Master.

Personally, I do like to shoot RAW+Jpeg. If everythings right with the jpeg then, great I won;t need to fiddel about with it too much but I won;t throw away the RAW file either. You never know when something might come along and knock the in cam RAW conversion for six. For example DxO's raw conversion software, which Jim pointed out a wee bit ago looks seriously impressive and I'm hoping that they'll provide Oly support.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote