Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:29 AM   #11

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I know for sure if I shot my E510using +.3 to +1 exposure compensationI'd wind up with a lot of blown highlights in bright and/or contrasty conditions. Using multi-segment metering not tied to the AF point (there's a menu option to set that), I often will have highlights JUST starting to be clipped, but I know if I shoot RAW those are areas I can retrieve. I also have an E1 and I'll say the multi-segment metering of the E510 isn't nearly as foolproof as the E1. Especially under harsher conditions I wind up with a higher percentage of E1 images that need less processing corrections than with the E510, but shooting RAW the E510 does fine.
Metering
That sounds like some useful information Greg. When you talk about multi segment metering not tied to AF, I am not clear. Under METERING I have a bunch of symbols that stand for Digital ESP (default), Center, Spot, HI Spot, SH Spot. Is that the menu to which you refer?

RAW
I have not been shooting RAW. Though, I did see the benefit in my pre-purchase testing on various cameras. The only thing I have to edit now is iPhoto or Olympus Master 2 There is quite a cost in card space and post processing. I fear I would quickly fall behind in post processing. I thought about shooting RAW+SHQ then comparing photos and deleting the RAWs where I could not see much difference and processing the ones where I could. Do you tweak only the images you need then batch convert your RAW images? I am sure there are threads to which this discussion is dedicated.
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:05 AM   #12

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
Metering
That sounds like some useful information Greg. When you talk about multi segment metering not tied to AF, I am not clear. Under METERING I have a bunch of symbols that stand for Digital ESP (default), Center, Spot, HI Spot, SH Spot. Is that the menu to which you refer?
Quote:
There's actually a spot in the menu system whenyou click on the MENU button where you can set how the camera will utilize multi-segment metering. It can be tied or not tied to the AF point. I don't have my E510 here as I type, so I can't go step by step right now as to where you find it, but it is in the actual menu system, not the metering option screen where you choose between the various metering options.

RAW
I have not been shooting RAW. Though, I did see the benefit in my pre-purchase testing on various cameras. The only thing I have to edit now is iPhoto or Olympus Master 2 There is quite a cost in card space and post processing. I fear I would quickly fall behind in post processing. I thought about shooting RAW+SHQ then comparing photos and deleting the RAWs where I could not see much difference and processing the ones where I could. Do you tweak only the images you need then batch convert your RAW images? I am sure there are threads to which this discussion is dedicated.
Quote:
Yes, there is a big hit, storage-wise,to shooting RAW on every image, but I do.
Quote:
Ah, a MAC user! My old PC is on it's last legs and my plans are to, at some point not too far down the road, buy a 24"iMac, which means I have a number of programs I'll be looking to convert, one of which is Olympus Studio, which is what I use to process both my E1 and E510 RAW files. Studio is a lot like Master, just fuller featured. I can pretty much do just about anything in Studio I need to a file until it comes to working in Layers, where I then turn to Photoshop.
Quote:
My PC is old and slow enough I haven't been able to upgrade my Photoshop CS2, but I really like Studio for my Olympus RAW files and will probably continue using it. In Studio, I can run through each RAW file, makeindividual adjustments I want to eachand then run one batch process to convert a full set into another set of JPEG's thatI then upload to my website, which I use as an off-site backup storage.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:34 PM   #13

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
Metering
Quote:
There's actually a spot in the menu system whenyou click on the MENU button where you can set how the camera will utilize multi-segment metering. It can be tied or not tied to the AF point. I don't have my E510 here as I type, so I can't go step by step right now as to where you find it, but it is in the actual menu system, not the metering option screen where you choose between the various metering options.

RAW
I have not been shooting RAW. .........
Quote:
Yes, there is a big hit, storage-wise,to shooting RAW on every image, but I do.
Quote:
Ah, a MAC user! My old PC is on it's last legs and my plans are to, at some point not too far down the road, buy a 24"iMac, .......
I am probably just missing it but I still cannot find. I did find another menu item called AF METERING that has the same symbols as the METERING menu. So if you happen to see it next time you are at your camera let me know.

I just ordered a new Lexar 133x 8GB CF card from Adorama today for $1.95 AR with free shipping. Awesome deal if you are brave enough to float the $80 rebate. That should help with more space for RAW images.

As for the PC MAC I dont want to go too far off topic. I am a long time PC user and switched to Mac about 18 months ago. Now I love my Mac. Would be happy to address any issue to switching to Mac by private message.
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:34 PM   #14

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
I am probably just missing it but I still cannot find. I did find another menu item called AF METERING that has the same symbols as the METERING menu. So if you happen to see it next time you are at your camera let me know.
In the 2nd menu series there's an option "Metering", with the various metering options to the right. If you move the curser over to the multi-segment metering option, you can continue moving to the right (you'll see a rightpointer)where you have the option of tying metering to the AF point or independent of the AF point.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote