Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:36 PM   #1

Santa brought me a new Oly 510 The two lens deal was too good to pass up. I had a few questions for the group.

I followed a recomendation to set the noise filter to low. DCRP also mention to lower in camera sharpening but I have not figured out how.

I have noticed that it tends to underexpose indoors as was warned. So I have been bumping up the exposure by 0.7 - 1.0 with many shots.

In auto mode, indoors, the flash tends to go off like a bug zapper for several seconds before it takes a shot. This does not lend itself to taking candid shots of my kids ;-) Changing setting to P and the focus to C-AF seems to be a fix. Is there a reason it takes so long to focus using S-AF? Is that normal?

Sorry for all the n00b questions,
Thanks,

Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:42 AM   #2

If you read through the message headers from the past you'll find messages that will help you learn more about your camera...personally I skimmed through a year's worth to find lots of links and tips, as well as finding the stumbling blocks others had gone through so I didn't have to go through them, or have to ask about the basics.

But, anyway one of the best sites to learning about your camera and how to customize the verious settings is:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

There's articles at Wrotniak about lenses, articles, how to customize your camera settings, technical articles, etc.

Note that settings on the camera are a PERSONAL preference and are dependent on the way you shoot...personally I use different settings on my cameras than the "recommended" ones, but I've been using cameras for over 35 years and have my own taste.

Quote:
In auto mode, indoors, the flash tends to go off like a bug zapper for several seconds before it takes a shot. This does not lend itself to taking candid shots of my kids ;-) Changing setting to P and the focus to C-AF seems to be a fix. Is there a reason it takes so long to focus using S-AF? Is that normal?
Many will suggest not to use Auto mode, to use Program mode instead as it offers many of the same features with the ability to change more settings and not limit you as much.

C-AF is called continuous auto focus, and it's more for tracking moving objects (like photographing animals at the zoo). S-AF is the more common mode to use for every day shooting (single-AF).

The pulsing of the flash you are referring to (unless you are on redeye flash mode) is the focus assist illuminator...when there isn't enough light to focus the camera will use the internal flash to provide enough light to focus. If you use either the FL-36 or FL-50 external flash instead of the pulsing the external flash will emit a red light that will help the camera to focus...for now you can turn off the focus illuminator if you don't like the pulsing (until you get an external flash and want to turn it back on) and learn how to use manual focus in situations where there isn't enough light to focus...one of the tricks is to enable ONLY the centre focus point and look for areas of contrast in the scene to lock focus onto, and then reframe the shot.

Here's another site that will help you learn more about your camera:
http://www.olympusdigitalschool.com/...510/index.html

Give yourself some time to read through the links given and get used to the camera, as well as practice...some people get a more advanced camera and are disappointed with the initial results as they expect a better camera will instantly improve their pictures, but a $6,000,000 racing car won't instantly improve your driving if you don't put in the time to learn.

Here's some inspiration for what is possible in low light (this was a 2.5 second handheld shot with an E-330, no IS):

p.s. If you have IS (Image Stabilization) turned on when you shut off the camera you will hear a noise like a rumble when it is powering off, it is NORMAL.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips Mike. I will check out the sites you mentioned. I had no illusions that the dSLR would make me a better photographer than my PAS Cannon S5 IS. My primary goal was to be able to zoom and shoot faster as I frequently missed good expressions of my kids waiting on autofocus or flash recharge.

The flash recharge is much faster between shots with the upgrade. Outdoors is a huge difference. Oly is much faster at both. Indoors is different. The AF assist is disappointing. I guess I had assumed the Olympus would have a IR focus assist like my Canon PAS. The AF flashes 3-5 times in low light before it will take a shot. That takes about 3+ seconds and completely ruins any chance of a non posed shot. I guess I will need to invest in the external flash. Is the omission of IR focus assist the standard with entry level dSLRs?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:48 PM   #4

AF Illuminat (aka Bug Zapper)

I figured out how to turn off AF Illuminat under one of the menu settings. I seem to be able to compensate using S-AF + MF setting. And fine tuning focus with manual ring. This allows me to focus faster without the distracting light show that the AF flash uses in low light.

Wow! That Wrotniak is a fantastic site. Thanks for the tip.