Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:59 PM   #1

Took these today at the Dallas Arboretum. Not too many subjects out there this time of the year, but if you look really close, there are a few smallobjects where closeups with the EX25 macro tube work very well.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:34 PM   #2

....hi Greg and Happy New Year !

I am getting cabin fever from all this 'gotta get things done around the house' work.

Nice photos, noticed the 50-200 SWD.... One of these times I am going to try a tube, never have, yours always cause me to want to.

I was expecting some cotton bowl shots from you, were you there?

For me Grace Prep Academy baseball will start in about ten days so I need to get my stuff lined up for that. No new hardware....I've been thinking of the HLD-4 for the E-3. I just don't do much vertical for baseball but this year I intend to do more and with the weight of the system the grip might be a bit more comfortable, though even heavier.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:01 PM   #3

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
I was expecting some cotton bowl shots from you, were you there?
Hi Bob!

Actually, yes I was, but I did not take a DSLR. I wanted to go light that day, so I just popped a Panasonic TZ5 in my pocket and took some shots to record the day around the Cotton Bowl since it's the last one there. I don't think the atmosphere around the game will be as good in that sterile environment over at Jerry-Land from next year on. The Cotton Bowl stadium is (still)a great venue for college football.

Ole'Miss fans had a good time. Hoddy Toddy. gosh awl' mighty... I have no idea, but I heard that all day...

Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:38 PM   #4

............mighty sharp files from the TZ. I will take a look at your SmugMug files of the day.

Not sure about the chants, but if it were Missoura-eze I might could help. Notice the MO spelling, I am from North Central MO (Randolph county) where we say Sent Luuuis & Kans City and where ya' heer we'uns & you'uns a lot

So this could be; Hoddy Toddy -- Hot Toddy(WOW that was somethen)
gosh awl' mighty... good golly, I ain't beleevinit

Bet you are right about the atmosphere, college and HS football belongs in the open air stadium and after 72 or 73 years the old cotton bowl just has memories that leak into the atmosphere of the game.

The new place here in town is going to be awesome for NFL and certain other events but somehow it seems the Cotton Bowl (one of the originals) doesn't belong there, but then I am just an old guy that doesn't like for some things to change.

Have Fun,
____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:08 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

You certainly do have fun using the EX-25! Your photos continue to prompt me to get one.

I have a question for you relative to the AF speed of the 50-200mm. Do you notice a difference in speed when using the lens on the E-1 vs when you use it with the E-510? Reason for the question is that I picked up a 50-200mm a couple of weeks ago and while I'm very happy with the IQ, the AF speed seems slower than I had hoped for. My guess, is it's the camera that's the limiting factor.

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:59 AM   #6

Zig,

I imagine you are right about the camera being the limiting factor, but I imagine it's the E3 where the big difference is. The AF speed appears to be about the same whether used with the E1 or E510.

Having owned the earlier version of the 50-200, the new SWD version is extremely silent in comparison. The times Inotice it being relatively slow are when I switch from shooting extreme closeups to going back to normal distance shooting. These SWD motors are as silent as theUSM motors in Canon's lenses, but not nearly as fast on the lower-level bodies. The ring USM motors rip into focus whether you are using a 1D series cameraor a Digital Rebel.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:47 AM   #7

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Zig,

I imagine you are right about the camera being the limiting factor, but I imagine it's the E3 where the big difference is. The AF speed appears to be about the same whether used with the E1 or E510.
Thanks for the response.

You've given me another reasonto upgrading to an E-3 at some point rather than considering the E-1.

Another question: do you find yourself using the 50-200mm with the EC-14( I thought you had one)much these days, especially in view of the fact that you also have the 70-300?

I keep looking at getting the EC-14 to use with the 50-200 but at 350bucks (Amazon)it may simply be more cost effective to get another 70-300mm lens instead.

Zig
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:14 PM   #8

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I keep looking at getting the EC-14 to use with the 50-200 but at 350bucks (Amazon)it may simply be more cost effective to get another 70-300mm lens instead.

Zig
At$295 from B&H, with free shipping, the 70-300 is a more economical route.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Zuiko_ED.html

I haven't looked at the prices of the EC14 in a while. B&H has it for $384....WOW! The converter makes it easier to carry the combined reach vs. having to choose between carrying the 50-200 or the 70-300 (or carrying both), but that is quite aconvenience price to pay. Converters aren't cheap no matter the brand. I see the Canon 1.4x is $280, and I imagineany storesells at least 50-100 of the Canon converters foreach Olympus converter sold and that has to accountto some extentfor the price difference.

At one point in the past I did have the old version of the 50-200 and also had the EC14, which I believe made the long end a 280mm f5 lens, so the 50-200+EC14 is slightly shorter and a little faster than the 70-300 at the long end. The 50-200 is definitely sharper wide open at 200mm and f3.5 than the 70-300 is at 300mm and f5.6. At some level, I am sure the wide open performance of the 50-200 is compromised with the EC14 fitted, but I'm not sure if you'd see it just looking at an image.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:38 PM   #9

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
At$295 from B&H, with free shipping, the 70-300 is a more economical route.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Zuiko_ED.html

I haven't looked at the prices of the EC14 in a while. B&H has it for $384....WOW!
Yep,

I just can't get myself past the fact that that's a lot of dough:shock: for a teleconverter that I'm going to use only a fraction of the time.

Zig

Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:01 PM   #10

That's why I don't have one today. I rarely used it. The better thing to do with these higher resolution camerastodaymay be to just shoot at 200mm and crop the image down to get closer.