Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:45 PM   #1

......have you ever walked a cat on a leash?

It isn't an easy task working a cat on a leash but after many hours of patience and a lot of treats Autumn & I get along pretty well. We usually walk 2 or 3 blocks and never if the weather is too hot or cold, these are fair weather adventures only and they take a while.......cats are different to dogs!

We do walk every nice day and today it was nice following the freezing rain we had all day yesterday.

It also is amazing to learn how strong a 7 lb. cat is when she wants to go home and knows the way.............................

I took the E-300 & 14-45ZD f/3.5-5.6 along today and shot some PROOFs that Autumn does work from a leash. The photos turned out ok too.

Here are some and more at http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/galler...50242811_rEWJ6

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:17 PM   #2

Hi Bob,

This is a definite first for me, as I can honestly say that I've never seen someone walking their cat before. Judging from the stretch of the leash, Autumn seems to enjoy pulling you along.

I can't imagine you have a lot of folks in your neighborhood that walk their cats as you do. I do have to ask though, what happens when you encounter a person walking with their dog on a leash? I gotta think there must be some puzzled looks on the face of the dog as well as his master.:shock:

By the way, the photos are great, especially, considering the fact that you're trying to walk and take photos at the same time.

What that saying??? Hot Toddy..etc. etc.

Ziig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:46 PM   #3

Come on Bob: you really expect us to believe a cat on a leash?? Are you sure there is no Photoshop at work here?? LOL!

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:43 PM   #4

Too funny! My 21 pound cat wouldn't do that in a million years!

Also funny you'd mention using your E300. I pulled mine out this evening and messed around with it a little as a result of getting into this conversation earlier over at DPReview..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=30581458

One thing I started noticing as I was taking a few images....they were all coming out level. I've had several instances where I was shooting with my E510 where images were coming out unlevel and started thinking I was losing my equilibrium (sp?), but I now wonder if, possibly, the finder is a little misaligned like I've seen a few mention about their E3.

The other thing I noticed about the E300 was, it has the same undelayed firing of the flash as the E1 when in TTL mode. I can never get a shot of my cat with his eyes open with the E510 due to the TTL preflash and have to resort to non-TTL auto, but with both the E1 and E300 I get his eyes open every time...this was taken with the E300 this evening with the 12-60 Zuikoand FL50R flash in TTL mode:

You can actually see the E510's preflash in the finder before it blacks out to record the image but not with the E1 or E300, so the timing on the earlier models is different/better for subjects that tend to close their eyes than later consumer models.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:33 AM   #5

........hey guys,

Thanks for the comments

Zig, Autumn is of 'alley cat' heritage, she does show a bit of aggression from time to time with her ears laid back, big eyes and a high back 'halloween cat' stance all followed by the side stepping tip-toed prance. I am wanting to get that on video. Anyway, her temper level is such that she really does not pay much attention to the dogs. There are a couple Jack Russell's that pause long enough to take a good look at Autumn though. This outing was tough shooting with one hand, thus, the lightest hardware combo I could put together.

Steven, we do have some video of the exercise, I am wanting my grandson to do a You Tube piece...........

Greg, he is a 'big' great looking cat. When he lays across your ankles you are anchored, huh? My daughter's cat is at 12-15 lbs so I can relate his size.

I read the tagged discussion, interesting and I tend to agree regarding the E-300 at low ISO and color.

Speaking of 'level', I have noticed that I rarely need to rotate a 300 file while at least 10% of the E-3 files need a touch. Always the first thing I look for at every file is 'level' and the 300 files are usually ok.

Since I really do like the E-300 for how it feels and handles, I too think the design accounts for my keeping it level, whereas the prism OVF build of the E-3 seems to cause me to hold it at a tilt, I do the same with my daughter's N-D80, my elbow is usually away from my body where it is in close with the E-300, system weight maybe.

So, with my theory I expect the E-330 also would likely be level more often than not for me. I have not read about E-3 finder misalignment, maybe that is a problem but if I pay close attention my E-3 files are ok, it is just that I don't need to be quite as cognizant with the E-300.

With flash all my shots were lucky if they are good.
____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:18 PM   #6

Hey Bob!

Now thats a first ! I'd been thinking recently if cats could be put on a leash and if so for how long so its good to hear its possible. Autum looks liek a fab puddy cat ...liek a mini tiger!

Greg - fine pic with the E300 of you puddy cat too! I'm just wondering if Oly's QC at the chinese plant isn;t what it should be, esp as the E3 and the newer E4xx/5xx cam;s were made there and not in Japan. I don;t ever reading of any of the porblems that the current cams have had on the E1/E300/E330's.

Cheers

Harj

: o )>
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:41 PM   #7

Greg: interesting discussion over at DP, thanks for sharing.

I can't speak for the E-300, as I've never owned that model. But I will be glad to admit that the E-330 is probably my favorite camera.

I have always admired the blue sky results in it's photos. True, where I live we have a lot of days with absolutely beautiful blue skies. Lot's of people comment that it appears I'm using a filter to enhance the blue, but that's not the case. Except for special situations, I can usually set the ASO to auto, so the film speed is on the low end, but I have had very good colors up to 400 speed. And the shots are dead on level. It also works very well with all the legacy lens from my OM-2.

Since I do a lot of low level flower shots etc, the articulating screen is much appreciated over the fixed screen of the 500. Sure,the E-3 is a much better camera, but I think I'll rather spend the money on additional lenses.

I'm probably prejudiced because I like my C8080 so much, and the E-330 handles very similar tothat camera. So I use both of them very frequently. Just old fashioned in some ways I guess.

Interesting discussion.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote