Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:54 AM   #1

I've had my E-510 a little over a year. A few days ago I went out to do some shots and found that the display in the viewfinder is no longer visible. In addition it does not "beep" when focus and exposure are locked and the green "ready" dot does not appear. It does still focus, the lens rotates and I can snap a photo when it is no longer rotating (I assume its locked on), but something is definitely wrong. Is the consensus that I will need to send it to OLY for repair-or whatever is needed to reestablish the display in the viewfinder?
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks
Angie I.
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:14 AM   #2

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but, sometime people forget: Do you have the Liveview function enabled? If so, you cannot view through the view finder since the mirror moves and blocks the viewing sacreen.

If you don't have it liveview, then yes, a repair at Olympus would be required

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3

No, live view is not on. I can see through the viewfinder just fine-there is just no right side display showing the aperture value, shutter speed and exposure mode; nor does the green AF confirmation dot light when focus is obtained. The lens does move when the shutter button is depressed and I can snap an exposure when it quits its focusing movement. I haven't put any of those up on the computer to see how perfectly focused they might be though.
Unfortunately I guess that does sound like a trip to Olympus is in order, SIGH.
I appreciate your help.
Angie
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:23 PM   #4

Before sending it in, do a hard reset to put the settings back to the original factory values. It there is some obscure function in the menu system that was mistakenly set to a wrong value, that would bring it back.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:38 PM   #5

Hi,

Greg's suggestion is a good one and worth a try.

Also,when I look thru the viewfinder,, I have a tendency to look straight at the center focus point because that's the one I use. I also wear glasses. This is a deadly combination, in that I never see the right side display. In order to see it, I've got to force myself to look at the right side of the finder. Another point is that the right side display is on momentarily after depressing the shutter release button halfway. After a second or two, it shuts down to conserve battery power.

One other suggestion, If you have another lens, try it and see if the same thing happens.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:25 AM   #6

Well, I've done it all--reset to factory values, changed lenses, no luck. I do agree that I frequently don't pay too much attention to the values shown in the viewfinder display, but glasses or no glasses, even at the time the shutter is depressed they're just not there. What I really DO miss is the green focus confirmation dot lighting as well as the beep sound it makes. And yes, I did check to make sure that the "beep" sound is on and it IS set to make the audible sound. I guess it'll have to make a repair trip. I'm glad that from everything I've read that the Olympus repair service is fairly prompt.
Angie