Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:53 AM   #1

Well the weather up here in the Northeast has been abysmal since Christmas. I've been frustrated in that I recently picked up an OLy 50-200mm ED lens and haven't been able to test it out much. So, this weekI got a small bird feeder, mounted outside my office window and voila! I was rewarded with a flock of Goldfinches that visited this morning.

I took about 38 shots this morning and quuickly found out that at a distance of about f3ft. from the feeder and a focal length above 150mm, the depth of field is verrry thin. But I'm very happy with the lens overall. Just need to get the hang of it.

Here are a couple of samples:

The weather finally seems to be improving and I'm hoping to be able to try the lens out a bit more in the next few days.

Zig

BTW, These were shotin RAW with no cropping. I just converted the files to JPEG wiith a touch ofcolor correction. No other major PP done.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:57 PM   #2

Very nice! Looks like you havea verysharp version of thatlens, but Idon't recall seeinganyone say they've had a bad copy, either! Gotta love Zuiko glass.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:18 PM   #3

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Looks like you havea verysharp version of thatlens, but Idon't recall seeinganyone say they've had a bad copy, either! Gotta love Zuiko glass.

Hi Greg,

As happy as I am with the IQ of this lens, It makes me appreciate the IQ of the 70-300mm lens even more. When youconsider the price of both, the latter is a downright bargain.

Regrettably, I sold my 70-300mm to partially fund the purchase of the 50-200. I'm going to another as soon as is reasonably possible.

As far as loving Zuiko glass, frankly, I've been looking at the possibility of getting a used Nikon D200. Pricing for a used oneseems to range between 550 and 650 dollars depending on condition. But what stops me is the combination of theIQ of the Zuiko lenses and I.S. in the camera body of the E-510.

Zig

One important point I forgot to mention relative to the 2 sample shots above: Given that it was 21 degrees this morning, I was taking the shots with the storm window down. I'm sure the IQ would be sharper had I been able to eliminate the extra piece of glass.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:57 PM   #4

........hey Zig,

I think you have a keeper too, like Greg says, I think all the 50-200 Zs are keepers.

I like your birds very much, thanks for sharing.

I am walking the cat everyday and planning how to do a short video of that, I may actually use my C7070WZ for that.

BASEBALL has to start soon, I think the cat wants a reprieve too.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:21 AM   #5

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
........hey Zig,

I am walking the cat everyday and planning how to do a short video of that, I may actually use my C7070WZ for that.

BASEBALL has to start soon, I think the cat wants a reprieve too.

Seeing a video of Autumn on her walk would be a hoot.

As for Baseball, I can't wait for the season to start!!!

Zig

Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:08 AM   #6

Hi,

I've had a chance to play a bit more with the 50-200mm lens these last few days and have added a few more bird photos into a gallery. For those who may have an interest, here's a link:

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/50200mm

I think I'm improving... but then again mine is a subjective opinion..

Zig

Old Jan 25, 2009, 1:14 AM   #7

The bird feeder was an excellent idea. These images clearlyshow the very narrow depth of field of this lens, and your E510 (with your help, of course)has done an excellent job with some of these subjects that look to be backlit by the snow yet still show plenty of detail.

Comparatively speaking, it's gotten a little *cool* down here, and there's not been an opportunity to get out much, but I've managed to snap a shot or two with my E510 and 50-200 the past few days too..

Robert E. Lee and aid on constant vigil over downtown Dallas,

and with the EX25 tube fitted:

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:23 AM   #8

Hey Greg,

Great shot of the Robert E. Lee statue.

As for the weather, it seems like the entire country isfeeling the effects ofthe cold. We caught a break the last 2 days with temps in the mid 30's-which I'll gladly take this time of year. Today, the day began at 5degrees F.

Today, I plan on booking a trip to the florida Keys for Mid-March. Wish I were going tomorrow.

zig

Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:11 PM   #9

Yes, you are right about the rest of the country feeling the effects of the cold. I live to the east of Tampa, and this week we had 4 straight nights of freezing weather. Not just a brief time at 32, but 4-5 hours at below freezing. I lost all of my flowers in my backyard tropical flower garden, and also a lotin my front yard. I have never had such frost damage before. Obviously I will not be photographing my flowers for a while. I thought about taking some shots of the damage, but I decided I didn't want to be reminded of it. Guess I'll have to allocate some of my future camera budget to the Home Depot and Lowes.

Fortunately, we returned to normal this weekend, and it hit the mid 70's yesterday and today. Hopefully we'll be able to treat all the Super Bowl fans to some nice weather while they're in town for next weekend's game. Should be a pretty big crowd in town.

Zig, you should have good weather by the time you come down to Florida in March.

C-ya,

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:57 PM   #10

Hi Steven,

Sorry to hear about the damage done to your gardens as a resullt ofthe frost. I suspected your area got hit pretty hard as I talked with my buddy who is down in Key Colony Beach earlier in the week. He mentioned that the high there was about 60 with a low of 46. Folks in the Keys start talking about hypothermia warnings when the temps get that low. :shock:

Hopewarmer days are ahead for all of us..

Zig