Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:15 AM   #1

Well Andrzej Wrotniak has gone off and purchased an E-30.. His review of the camera can be found here:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e30-rev.html

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:12 PM   #2

.............thanks for the post Zig.

I read the review and took a look at his sample photos. The E-30 does look and read 'impressive'.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:09 PM   #3

Hi Bob,

His articles are always a good read...even if you're not quite ready to upgrade, there's always something to be gainedfrom his insight.

Best part for me was that there was no 'circle of confusion' anywhere:?

Zig
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:36 PM   #4

....roger on the 'CoC'

I have read most of his work for several years and have been influenced more than a couple times, perhaps the best was, I have and use a Promaster 5750DX flash based wholly on his review at the time.

BTW.....raining here with temps going below freezing tonight and tomorrow into Wed. ICE, but looking forward to high 50s-60s beginning Thurs. It is an every other day thing here!
____
boBB

Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:27 PM   #5

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
.............thanks for the post Zig.

I read the review and took a look at his sample photos. The E-30 does look and read 'impressive'.
____
boBB
It does. I guess I'm one of the few folks who finds the E3's size to fit me very well. I do love it, but I do understand if some folks want a smaller camera body. I also do join the rest of the folks here, who don't understand Oly's pricing of the E30 vs. the E3. Are they planning todiscontinue the E3?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:45 PM   #6

Hi Guys

Zig thanks for the link to the review - pretty thorough as always and I'm suprised he has the time to do these to the level that he does. The interesting question to me if I was looking for a new cam would be the price of the E30 compared to the E3. A tough choice - for me it would still be the E3 - the mag alloy body and the larger OVF would alwayc clinch it. Sizewise, looking at the E30 it does look good but then again its not that much smaller than the E3 and like Ted, I;ve got pretty used to its size.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:59 PM   #7

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
I guess I'm one of the few folks who finds the E3's size to fit me very well. I do love it, but I do understand if some folks want a smaller camera body. I also do join the rest of the folks here, who don't understand Oly's pricing of the E30 vs. the E3. Are they planning todiscontinue the E3?

Ted
Hi Guys,

You can count me in the group that is hoping that there is so much interest created by the release of the E-30 that existing owners of the E-3 will want to sell off their E-3 to buy the new one. That may allow me to pick up a used E-3 ata reasonable cost. If I had to choose a camera based on current pricing, I'd buy the E-3. It's essentially selling for the same price as the E-30: Cameta Camera has it for 1299.00 including a battery grip.

As Harj said: the larger OPV and weathersealing makes the E-3 a more compelling buy.

As for Oly's pricing strategy? beats me as I don't understand how the E-30 can be priced so high.:?

Zig

Zig

Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:32 PM   #8

zig-123 wrote:

Hi Guys,

You can count me in the group that is hoping that there is so much interest created by the release of the E-30 that existing owners of the E-3 will want to sell off their E-3 to buy the new one. That may allow me to pick up a used E-3 ata reasonable cost. If I had to choose a camera based on current pricing, I'd buy the E-3. It's essentially selling for the same price as the E-30: Cameta Camera has it for 1299.00 including a battery grip.

As Harj said: the larger OPV and weathersealing makes the E-3 a more compelling buy.

As for Oly's pricing strategy? beats me as I don't understand how the E-30 can be priced so high.:?

Zig

Well Zig, I still have a job so you don't get my E3. But I don't blame you for trying (grin). But if you wanna buy my E-500 I'm open to discussion...

Just kidding.

Ted

PS: The E3 is a great camera but as I mentioned, it is pretty large and heavy. That's fine with me but I do understand that it's not fine forsmaller people...

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:52 AM   #9

Zig,
..............even though I don't have a job you cannot have my E-3 either but I expect you might find an opportunity soon.

Like Ted the E-3 fits for me just fine though I do find the E-300 very comfortable for those times I just want the difference.

The E-30 is not on my wish list but, like others, I certainly understand why it may be on some.

When I first read the specs for the E-30 sometime back it was quite surprising to me that the size difference to the E-3 is so slight and those with smaller hands may find some difficulty with a E-30 despite a weight difference.
____
boBB

Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:00 AM   #10

Hi Guys,

Geez, as much as I would like to get an E-3, I certainly don't want anything bad to happen to anyone. And, I'm happy to hear that, after having your camera for a time, you still like the E-3 and don't want to part with it.............that's a very good sign.

Well, as I sit here typing, the snow is falling and the freezing rain and damaging winds are expected to arrive later in the day. The finches are going nuts at the feeder but frankly, the temps are too cold to open the widow and try for a clean shot or two.

I did get this one the other day: