Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:54 AM   #11

Thank you Bahadir!

I did some more shooting today on the streets od downtown, shooting down the shade and light-filled canyons with auto-gradation turned onto see what the system was capable of. I did a few times use exposure compensation, but not nearly in amountsor as often asI always found myself using it, along with changingthe metering to spotor center-weighted meteringwith the E510 because the multi-segment system was not always a good option. By comparison, the multi-segment metering of the E520 seems to work extremely well with just a little bit of help sometime in more extreme cases.

This next image is the type where I would have expected the E510 to blow at least some of the detail in the white statue against the predominantly darker rest of the image, but the E520's metering system handled it beautifully.

This last image was probably the most extreme in terms of darkest darks to brightest bright values and I was perfectly happy with the resulting in-camera JPEG.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:32 AM   #12

HI Greg,

Thanks for sharing yourmost recentshots. Thelast example is, especially impressive-great detail in the darkest areas.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:39 AM   #13

Greg, I'd agree with zig's comment above on the last picture.Still what really impressed me was #3 in which thethelight shade interplayabout thecapital of theengaged ornamental columnisa joy to observe!! The brightness of the wallto thebottom right - which is quite natural under direct sunlight and can be seen as it is even with the naked eye! - could easily be softened. Oh,Can't wait to see your next Louvre series with your new gear(Please remind me if I miss!!)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:44 AM   #14

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

Oh,Can't wait to see your next Louvre series with your new gear (Please remind me if I miss!!)
That one might be a while down the road, but at some point I will be going back!

This years' trip is still "under discussion", but we are thinking about either Vancouver, where we have been before and always have wanted to go back,or Quebec Province. Vancouver is just wonderful, butwith the Winter Olympics beingthere in 2010, this might not be the best time to be going there.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:21 PM   #15

Well....something has cropped up with my E520I never thought I'd see on an Olympus DSLR....I've never encountered it yet in using either an E1, E300 or E510 since 2005....a spec of something on the sensor! I've actually noticed 3-4 of *something* but one that's particularly annoying,that rearstheir ugly head around f10-11 and is ever so slightly visible at f8, so I'll be going to the store to find one of those bulb-type blowers. I have a small one, but it's not doing the trick. This might even be something where I have to use some sort of wet cleaning since the dust filter is not getting rid of it.

Dang, last time I had to clean a sensor was when I owned one of the original Digital Rebels.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 4:11 PM   #16

Well, thats no fun at all!

I've certainly taken the sensor cleaning function of the Oly dslrs for granted. I've not had todo anything to clean the sensor YET.

Hope you don't have to do anything beyond using a dust blower/brush.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:13 PM   #17

...............hey Greg,

I have a 100 lb compressor with a 2-gallon tank, you're welcome to stop by and use it if you don't find a big squeeze bulb.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:59 AM   #18

Bob, that sounds like something that might just do the trick! I'm going by Cooters Village Camera at lunch today to pick up the items for the conservative route. If that fails, I will drop you a line:lol:.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:21 PM   #19

Thankfully....the bigger blower (not Bob's!), worked.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:59 PM   #20

..............hey, I'm happy the stuff is gone! You could've just opened it while outdoors today and nature likely would have cleaned it out.

If you're over this way and need to air up the truck tires the pump is here.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote