Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:21 PM   #1

Took my new E520 over to the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, along with the 12-60, 50-200 Zuikos and EX25 extension tube. Walked through the indoor tropical Conservatory and the Japanese Garden. Shot RAW+JPEG butso far I've only uploaded the in-camera JPEG's. Ido plan to eventually get both up, meaning there'll be files to compare. I've converted the ORF RAW files to DNG so I can process them in Camera RAW and Photoshop CS2.

Here were a few of the JPEG files. I made Levels adjustments in Photosopto a few of these, but that's it as far as post-processing goes. I lowered in-camera sharpening from the +2 setting I was usingto +1 and turned the gradation setting from AUTO back to NORMAL.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:16 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

Nice shots all,with, I think, #4 and #6being good examples of the E-520'simproved dynamic range over the E-510. I would venture to say that shot #4 wouldn't look as good using the E-510.

BTW, I jealous, the weather looks a whole heck of a lot warmer where you are..................

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 7:30 AM   #3

Hi Greg

Nice shots with the new 520 and a good selection of pics from the Gardens. It Looks as if its spring already where you are !

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:42 PM   #4

Outstanding series. Glad your enjoying the new camera.

I always thought you got the most from the E510, and I may see a bit of an improvement with the E520. Is it my imagination?

Nice job.

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:45 PM   #5

Nice shots Greg.

Most of my flowers got killed by our recent unusual freezes, so I had to shoot something else to share.

No pp except to reduce size.

Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:31 AM   #6

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
Outstanding series. Glad your enjoying the new camera.

I always thought you got the most from the E510, and I may see a bit of an improvement with the E520. Is it my imagination?

Nice job.

Greg

Thank you, Greg.

The E520 definitely makes getting consistent results easier. In the 3-4 outtings this past week I never had to deviate from multi-segment metering, only every once anda while did I resort to having to use exposure compensation, and when it made sense, I turned the Auto gradation feature on.

There were a couple of images shooting downtown yesterday morning where the overall scene was exposed well, but one building with a white face showed a slight overexposure so just to see, I turned on the Auto Gradation and the overexposure was gone after re-taking. That feature really does seem to work well. I also reallylike the review screen option where they combined the highlights/shadow warnings by blinking shadows in blue and overexposure in red. That is now my default review screen.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote