Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:15 PM   #11

pip22 wrote:
Quote:
Nice to have a Nikon user not only praising an Oly camera but actually buying one too. I realise it's never going to replace your Nikon, but I'm sure you know that many Nikon users wouldn't dream of buying an Oly. Not only that, they ridicule them at every opportunity without having actually used one. Thank you for being decent and different!
I don't know that all Nikonians are snobby and turn their noses up at Oly. I've been in several forums and was suprised at the number of multi-platform users. I've always been curious about Oly's and thought it was too good of a deal to pass up when I saw it. The 510 isn't on the same level as my D300 (and nor should it be), or even my D80. I really miss the dual control dials, and top side LCD...but it is much smaller and easier to carry, and I foresee using it for party's and get togethers and whenever I need to go small and light.

Quote:
've frankly been amazed at how much BETTER the E520 works than the E510 I've owned for several months now. With the E510 I had to do the typical things, like setting sharpening and contrast way down, shooting RAW and applying exposure compensation all the time, almost as a default setting, to keep exposures under control, not to mention using centerweighted or spot metering because the E510 was so apt to overexpose highlights. The metering system of the E520 is almost a 180 degree difference. I rarely am using exposure compensation of any kind, using the matrix/multi-segment metering for most all subjects and the camera simply gets exposures right virtually all the time with no parameter adjustments other than I'm usually setting sharpening to either +1 or +2. The E520 is the camera tIhe E510 should have been. It truly is a camera that cam be used in JPEG capture only if you just flat don't want to mess with RAW every once & a while and it actually delivers excellent images with very little extra work. This is the first time in a long time I've actually had to think about whether I really wanted to shoot RAW or not when I take the E520 out.
In my limited time with the E510, I've found the meter to be pretty accurate for the most part. The one area I have been disappointed in has been flash exposure. I got an FL36 and used it at a party over the weekend. I took about 75 shots with flash, and wasn't really happy with any of them. Most were hot, even with compensation, and bounce exposures were all over the place. My Nikons nail these shots almost every time. Some of it may have to do with not knowing the camera.

By the way, I've been to several Circuit City's (5 in the area) and there are at least 25 E520's. If they make it to 40% off, I'm probably going to pull the trigger. I'm also looking to get the 70-300 (sadly none of the CC's have it). That kit will probably replace my D300/D80 70-300VR for when I need the extra reach. I've never been happy with that combo for long tele shots. I think for now I'm committed to a two brand system, and will need a backup body, so the 520 makes sense at a good price.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:55 PM   #12

Hi RJ,

Regarding the 70-300mm lens. When I was at the CC City store on Saturday I picked up a 70-300mm lens @ 239.00. While talking to thesales clerck there he volunteered that if I was looking for anything that was not in stock, they could find it for me and have it shipped in or to me-whichever was easier.

I don't know if that comment was on the level but it may be worth exploring.

Zig

Also, While the 70-300mm lens has good IQ, it is a tad slow at an aperture range of 4 to 5.6 At low light, it will be slow to focus. You may want to consider the 50-200mm ED f2.8-3.5 lens which much faster, has great IQ and is built like a tank. KEH.com has 3 used ones at 599/ea. I only know because I check there regularly for used equipment. I recently bought a 50-200mm ED there and was very happy with the transaction and quality of the lens.

Just my .02cents

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:37 AM   #13

Rjseeney,

I think your experience with the e-510 is similar to what most olympus shooters feel about it.

In fact, I think the olympus did a very smart thing with its line up. By that I mean the focusing on the amateur/entry level side of the market (especially with the micro 4/3s coming out). It is a shame that olympus marketing is so poor though, as I think a lot of consumers would be more than happy with it if they knew about it. The CC closings are a good example of this. Here in Atlanta even in the stores that are virtually empty now most olympus are still behind glass displays/under the counter, while bits and pieces of what remains of canon and nikon kits are on display, and the sellers know next to nothing about it.

I really think that for the budget conscious entry level photographer who wants a walk-around solution you can't really go wrong with the oly. I am more than happy with my kit, which is the e-510, the 14-54mm, the 70-300 and the FL-36, which with a little searching can be had for under $1000 nowadays if you know where to look and take advantage of the CC closings and such. Light, cheap, and pretty good IQ for an entry level, especially coupled with the above lens.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:38 AM   #14

double post. sorry.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:33 AM   #15

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
In my limited time with the E510, I've found the meter to be pretty accurate for the most part. The one area I have been disappointed in has been flash exposure. I got an FL36 and used it at a party over the weekend. I took about 75 shots with flash, and wasn't really happy with any of them. Most were hot, even with compensation, and bounce exposures were all over the place. My Nikons nail these shots almost every time. Some of it may have to do with not knowing the camera.

Brighter-lit days where shadows are a bit deeper and sky with clouds are where I havefound the E510's multi-segment metering system to really be the mostunreliable and where the E520 is so much better, and this attached image, where I have no doubt the E510 would have blown these ducks and/or the sky in the background, but the E520, with multi-segment metering and no compensation implemented by me, captured it with no blown detail anywhere..

I've had moments like you described with the flash system with my E510 too, especially if I had to use the non-TTL auto option. In TTL mode it's usually been pretty reliable used with an FL50 and Demb bounce attachment, but still never as accurate as my older E1 has always been...it just always gets exposures right like I used to see whenI was using a Nikon F4 and SB24 flash combination, and the E520's flash performance is closer to what I typicallyget with the E1.

My only real complaint with the current TTL implentation is the TTL pre-flash. With the E1 and E300, the pre-flash and actually exposure popare very close together. With the E510/E520 they are still close, but if you look close, you can actually see the TTL pre-flash go off in the finder a split second before the mirror raises, and some people with sensitive eyes have a tendancy to close their eyes in a higher percentage of shots. In one wedding I had to switch to non-TTL auto because the bride blinked in the first 2-3 shots I took. After swtiching to non-TTL auto, which eliminates the TTL pre-flash,it never happened again. With the E1 and E300 bodies, you never see that. The last couple of weddings I've shot, I went back to the E1 for this very reason.

At some point between the E300 and E510, Olympus madea change in the pre-flash to actually exposureflash sequence in the E system to this less than optimal method, at least in the consumer line. I never owned an E500 so I don't know if that's where the change took place or if it was later withthe E510. I ASSUME the E3 still utilizes the betterE1/E300 type sequence....whatever Olympus did, they need to change it back in the consumer line to how it worked in the E300.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Also, While the 70-300mm lens has good IQ, it is a tad slow at an aperture range of 4 to 5.6 At low light, it will be slow to focus. You may want to consider the 50-200mm ED f2.8-3.5 lens which much faster, has great IQ and is built like a tank. KEH.com has 3 used ones at 599/ea. I only know because I check there regularly for used equipment. I recently bought a 50-200mm ED there and was very happy with the transaction and quality of the lens.
I know the 50-200 would be much better IQ wise...I'm just not prepared to spend that much on a secondary system to my needs. I haven't seen the 50-200, but I assume it's much bigger (it has a tripod collar), and would defeat my goal of staying light. I see my OLY kit as being 3 lenses (the kits...14-42, 40-150, and 70-300), and maybe a macro lens. Knowing me that list will grow as time goes by. As it is, I'm trimming some of my unused Nikon lenses to get rid of what I don't use. I've got lenses that haven't been on a camera in a couple years.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:43 PM   #17

The Olympus kit lenses are quite good. While I now mainly use the 12-60 and 50-200 Zuiko's there are times, like this Friday night, where I will be taking my E520 and the 40-150 to a Dallas Stars NHL game. I can get my big lenses into the localmajor league baseball stadium, but the arena here in Dallas where the NBA and NHL teams play is a different story. I don't think I'd make it past security with the 50-200, even mounted on the smaller E520, so I take the 40-150, which anyone would have a hard time classifying as *professional* equipment(!), but it does do an excellent job.

I've thought about whether I could get by securitywith the 70-300. Maybe I'll try that. The only thing that might stop me is, ifsecurity turns me away, it's a long walk back to my office to take the lens back and thengo back to get in!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:58 PM   #18

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I know the 50-200 would be much better IQ wise...I'm just not prepared to spend that much on a secondary system to my needs. I haven't seen the 50-200, but I assume it's much bigger (it has a tripod collar), and would defeat my goal of staying light. I see my OLY kit as being 3 lenses (the kits...14-42, 40-150, and 70-300), and maybe a macro lens. Knowing me that list will grow as time goes by. As it is, I'm trimming some of my unused Nikon lenses to get rid of what I don't use. I've got lenses that haven't been on a camera in a couple years.
Hi,

Those 3 lenses will hold you in good stead for a long time.Prior to my getting the 50-200mm lens, my go everywhere kit consisted of the E-510 with the 70-300mm on the camera. I would stick the 14-54mm lens inthe pocket of my cargo pants. Essentially,I was covered for any situation.

By the way, the 70-300mm can double as a macro lens on it's own. If you add an Ex-25 converter it's even more impressive.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote