Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:31 PM   #1

I'm a long time Nikon shooter. My D300 is my money camera, and I have a D80 as a backup as well as an older F100. I've been searching for a take every cam, but have been disappointed with every P&S digicam I've had. I went to Circuit City to see if the G10 was going for a good price. I came across an E510 for just over $300, and since I've always been fascinated with Olympus cameras and the 4/3 system I could'nt resist the deal. It will never replace my D300 or even my D80...Af is too slow, and the 3 pt system just is not snappy. I'm not a fan of the menu's and the LCD leaves a bit to be desired. But, it is lightweight, feels great in my hands, meters like a champ and has much better IQ than i expected. I took it to an aboretum to see how it would work in tough condition...bright sun and snow, and it did really well. I also felt like I could carry it all day. I think I've found the solution to my carry everywhere lightweight kit.
Attached Images

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:32 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:33 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:33 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:34 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2009, 6:15 PM   #6

Hi and congratulations.

If you got the E-520 for around 300 dollars, you certainly did get a great deal on a pretty fair little performer.

As for the photos, I think they look pretty darn good given the sun snow high contrast condition.

The Circuit City liquidation sale is a rather odd (to me) situation. I read on another site someone picking up an E-520 kit with the 14-42mm lens for 420 dollars at their local store. I thought that price certainly was enticing enough to buy one and upgrade from the E-510. So off I went to the local store. When I got there, they had 2 E-520s left - priced at 535.00. I asked a sales clerk about the pricing and he told me simply that each store had the ability to charge whatever they wanted for an item and he wasn't at all surprised to hear that it was priced lower at another location. And no, they weren't going to match the price.

Anyways............enjoy your camera and post some more pics when you get a chance.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 6:40 PM   #7

it's actually an e-510...I've got the 520 on my mind because its newer. There were many 520's and 420's instock...the 520 was about $479 and the 420 was about $439...the 510 was smaller and over $100 cheaper, and was almost the same in every other way. You're right about different prices at different stores. I stopped at a different CC today and picked up a fl36 flash for $82...the same flash at the other store was $50 more. Also all Dslr's were 30% off rather than the 20% off that was in the other store. Lenses were 30% off, but were still much higher than what you could get online. I'll never give up my Nikons, but I'm really happy with the E510 so far.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:43 AM   #8

Nice to have a Nikon user not only praising an Oly camera but actually buying one too. I realise it's never going to replace your Nikon, but I'm sure you know that many Nikon users wouldn't dream of buying an Oly. Not only that, they ridicule them at every opportunity without having actually used one. Thank you for being decent and different!
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:49 PM   #9

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
it's actually an e-510...I've got the 520 on my mind because its newer. There were many 520's and 420's instock...the 520 was about $479 and the 420 was about $439...the 510 was smaller and over $100 cheaper, and was almost the same in every other way.
I've frankly been amazed at how much BETTER the E520 works than the E510 I've owned for several months now. With the E510 I had to do the typical things, like setting sharpening and contrast way down, shooting RAW and applying exposure compensation all the time, almost as a default setting,to keep exposures under control, not to mention using centerweighted or spotmetering because the E510 was so apt to overexpose highlights.

The metering system of the E520 is almost a 180 degree difference. I rarely am using exposure compensation of any kind, using the matrix/multi-segment metering for most all subjects and the camera simply gets exposures right virtually all the time with no parameter adjustments other than I'm usually setting sharpening to either +1 or +2. The E520 is the camera the E510 should have been. It truly is a camera that cam be used in JPEG capture only if you just flat don't want to mess with RAW every once & a while and it actually delivers excellent images with very little extra work. This is the first time in a long time I've actually had to think about whether I really wanted to shoot RAW or not when I take the E520 out.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:23 PM   #10

Hi Greg,

That's pretty high praise regarding the E-520. Actually, I'm happy to hear that I may have anotherupgrade option in addition to the E-30. Pricing certainly is a lot more affordable.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote