Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:22 AM   #1

I am a semi-pro photographer using Oympus E3's. Iam interested in using a PC lens for architectural shooting. At this point. however, I do not have resources to purchase another camera body etc. etc. so I can use a PC lens. I have seen ads for various lens mount adapters to allow Nikon to Oly 4/3 mount...is this a viable option for PC lens use...are there others??
brandtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:39 AM   #2

There's no reason why you couldn't buy an adaptor to mount Nikon F-mount lenses and find a second-hand perspective control Nikkor...I believe they made both 35mm and 28mm versions. Manual focus and manual exposure control are the only performancelimitations I could think of, but you'd probably want to do that anyway.

There's nothing you can buy that is made for the 4/3rd system that offers perspective control.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3

Thanks Greg...I have friend with a Nikkor PC lens may try this out with an adaptor initially. I just started looking into this this morning...and I had seen that there was a preference for the Cameraquest adaptors as opposed to the Novoflex...and some bad experiences with the Novoflex. If anyone else has thoughts/comments on either product it would be appreciated
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:02 PM   #4

Please letus know what your experience is. I too would love to have a PC lens, but the Oly PC legacy lenses are way more expensive than I can afford...
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:23 PM   #5

What is the approx. cost? Have you seem them for sale? I know ages ago there were some in line...
Old Feb 10, 2009, 5:01 AM   #6

Here is a little info on the Oly options for PC from someone who sells them on EBay:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../35mmSHIFT.htm

EBay has 11 Oly shift lenses available currently from 500 to 3000USD.

Obviously, an adapter would also be required. Cirrus Adapter Wholesale is an EBay store that I've previously bought adapters from. The quality is good and pricing reasonable.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:25 PM   #7

brandtb wrote:
Quote:
What is the approx. cost? Have you seem them for sale? I know ages ago there were some in line...
Oly made a 24mm f/3.5 Shift and a 35mm f/2.8 PC. I've seen the28mm on eBay for US$2K and up.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:49 PM   #8

PC lenses are always gonna be more expensive than normal wide-angle lenses. The reason is that a lens is designed to deliver an "acceptable" image across the entire area of the imaging receiver (whether film or digital sensor). Regardless of whetherthe imager is35-mmfilm or a FF digital sensor, lenses have to "cover" that area with an acceptable quality image.

When you add PC, the lens needs to be capable of delivering an acceptable image to a much larger area (related tohow much the lens can be shifted). I haven't computed the larger area for the Oly PC lenses, but it's sorta equivalent to asking for a "35-mm" lens to cover a 120-film frame. When you add the requirement to have an acceptable image with alens speed of f/2.8, you're talking about some serious lens design and lens elementmanufacturing. That's why I'm not surprised that at today's prices, the highly-regardedOly 35mm f/2.8 PC legacy lens is expensive. The24mm f/3.5 Shift lens will be less expensive because of the lower speed (light-gathering power, aka lens element diameters).

Theoretically, a PC lens for the 4/3 system can be way less expensive than the legacy Oly PC lenses were for 35mm film coverage. I suspect that the reason Oly hasn't introduced one, is simply that they're in a very competitive market,a PC lens would have to have a lot of salesto keep the unit price down, buta PC lens doesn't have a large market.

To give Oly credit, they have introduced lenses that aren't gonna sell well. The ZD 14-35 f/2 lens is attractive to anyone who needs that kind of speed across a 28-70mm (35mm-equivalent) FL- no one else makes anything like that lens.But at over US$2K, its sales have got to be limited.

I have an 8" diameterCelestron telescope that costs less than that and thru its GPS system, it figures out where it is on the Earth's surface and will aim itself at thousands of celestial objects with a simple keypad. it will find Quasar 3C-273, which is 2 billion light years away (pretty much at the other side of the universe). It is a galaxy with a luminosity 2 Trillion times that of the Sun, or 100X that of the entire Milky Way galaxy. When the light from Quasar 3C273 left that galaxy, the first abundant fossils of living organisms, mostly bacteria, had just appeared on Earth. Compared to that, the ZD 14-35 f/2 lens doesn't seem to offer the same value. (grin)

Ted
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:58 PM   #9

This may be a silly question from a non-technical person. With the high prices quoted,and need for adapters for PC lens, what about a new E-30 body with it's digital leveling system? Could it be used for the architectural shots using your existing Oly lens? toquote Oly:

"Digital Leveler
The E-30 is equipped with an internal Digital Level Sensor that detects the camera's pitch and roll and indicates it in the optical viewfinder, on the control panel and during Live View operation. This Digital Leveler is a tremendous benefit for architectural photographers who must ensure that images they take of buildings are as centered and true as the walls of the buildings themselves."

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:29 AM   #10

If you're standing on the groung shooting a building, depending on how tall it is you may have to tilt the camera to get the whole building in the shot. The problem with that is that then the vertical lines don't remain parallel - which is why Oly says the warning is helpful. But frankly, people who do this type of photography already know that.

So if you are in the above situation, you either need to levitate yourself halfway up the building, or use a PC lens.

Ted