Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:24 PM   #1

Instead of continuing to pile on to a post already long enough, here are some from a couple of recent outtings with my E520.

This is a typical shot whereI'd expect the E510 to blow detail in the ducks and/or sky, but the E520 handled it with no blown details and no exposure compensation on my part..

A nice, quiet place to sit and do nothing..

or here, under the bare branches..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:42 PM   #2

Excellent!

Greg: What part of Dallas were these taken? I don't recognise it.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:23 PM   #3

Thanks, Steven!

The first image was shot at Robert E. Lee Park, which runs alongside Cedar Springs just north of downtown. Images 2, 3 and 5 were shot on Lakeside Drive in Highland Park. #'s 4 and 6 were just across the street from Lee Park
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:01 AM   #4

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Instead of continuing to pile on to a post already long enough, here are some from a couple of recent outtings with my E520...
Well done Greg! I've just been toyour previouspost to see the latestadditions with higher iso froma show in Texas. I shoud say, the three girls sitting in a line at thedesk was my fave : )

As for this series; Ialmost feel as if the E520 has a hiddenD-lighting feature! You don't apply any pp for the shadows, do you? The images are like what one actually sees, despite the huged-range advantage of the human eye.It is only thatthe colours in shadowareas look are a bit faint to me though, than they are expected to be. But I wasn't there of course! As I cannot see the exif, may I ask you the iso you shot these pictures at, assuming that it should be iso 100?

Ibelieve your series further attrack the attention of the users of other brands to this brave little Oly model they are already curious about, and even makethemgrabone! Again, thanks for sharing..

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:29 AM   #5

Thank you for the comments,Bahadir.

The part about D-lighting is correct. TheE520 has a feature similar which I did have turned on. They implement it in what is called Auto Gradation and itups values in the shadows. At higher ISO settings it can make the shadows noisier so it's probably not something one would want on all the time, but during daylight hours when you are pretty much going to shoot everything at ISO 100 or 200, I have it on all the time.

Yes, those ladies were very nice, both to talk to and look at!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:41 PM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the comments,Bahadir.

The part about D-lighting is correct. TheE520 has a feature similar which I did have turned on. They implement it in what is called Auto Gradation and itups values in the shadows. At higher ISO settings it can make the shadows noisier so it's probably not something one would want on all the time, but during daylight hours when you are pretty much going to shoot everything at ISO 100 or 200, I have it on all the time.
Dear Greg, thanks for the useful information! Now, I'm curious tohearyour comment aboutcomparing a selectivehighlight/shadow applicationat the Photoshop to the Auto Graduation feature of the camera. Well, considering the jpeg performance of the E520 comparable to its raw output, surely many peoplewouldwelcome the practicalityofthe auto graduation as well. Still, I'd like to learn your verdict.

Quote:
Yes, those ladies were very nice, both to talk to and look at!
Ha ha! I'm sure the ladies were even nicer to 'someone' who'd do justice to their prettinessthrough the art of photography:-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:45 PM   #7

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

Dear Greg, thanks for the useful information! Now, I'm curious tohearyour comment aboutcomparing a selectivehighlight/shadow applicationat the Photoshop to the Auto Graduation feature of the camera. Well, considering the jpeg performance of the E520 comparable to its raw output, surely many peoplewouldwelcome the practicalityofthe auto graduation as well. Still, I'd like to learn your verdict.
Quote:
I'll preface this by saying my experience with the highlight/shadow filter in Photoshop is limited to CS2. I (finally) have ordered a new computer and soon after it comes plan on upgrading Photoshop to CS4. I'm sure CS3 and now CS4 have tweeked this filter and it probablynow works better than ever.
Quote:
I prefer the in-camera processing of the E520 compared to applying the filter in Photoshop to a JPEG that's already had some data thrown out in processing, be it in-camera or through a RAW converter. Assuming a RAW file is captured with all luminence levels intact, I would figure that givesan opportunity for the best possible result, but at the expense of a lot more work on the computer. The E520 sure makes it easy for anyone to achieve the result.
Quote:

Ha ha! I'm sure the ladies were even nicer to 'someone' who'd do justice to their prettinessthrough the art of photography:-)
Quote:
No doubt. Some day I will have to get up the nerve to ask one of them!