Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2009, 1:05 PM   #1

A friend of mine just got a divorce and gave me his E-500 (gift from his now ex-wife). He hardly ever used it because he is a point and shoot camera type of guy. Anyway I have updated the software and reset it but the 14 - 45mm lens won't focus. The larger lens works perfectly, focuses even in my lowlight living room. On the smaller lens I press the button halfway down and it starts to focus but never completes. The little focus light just blinks till i release the button. The fstops do change if I move the camera around. I also noticed when the bigger lens is in use there are little red lights in the focusing spot in the center of the viewfinder. None of them ever light up on the 14-45mm lens. I even tried manual focus but when you turn the focus ring, nothing that i can see happens, no change. You can turn it either way for 20 turns and nothing visible happens. I'm a little upset because the smaller lens is more to my needs, like taking pics in your living room. If the long lens didn't work and the shorter one did I could totally live with that. Any suggestions?
r1wigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:39 PM   #2

Hi,

A few things to try. (you may have done all this already BUT

1. Make sure your battery is fully charged.

2. remove the lens from the camera and inspect the 9 copper contacts that are on the bottom of the inside part of the lens. Ensure there is no damage or gook on any of them.

3. Do the same on the camera body. You'll see there are 9 spring loaded contact pins. ensure there are no damged pins and all move freely in and out.

4. Mount lens on camera, turn camera on, move mode dial to auto and press shutter release button to see if it will focus now. Make sure you AF is set to S-AF. I would do this in plenty of available light.

5. if your indoors and the lighting is not great. Turn the flash on by pressing the button on the top left hand side of the camera. The flash will pop-up and you should be able to press the shutter release button.

If there is no response. you may just have a bum lens.

Zig

By the way, there is an olympus DSLR forum on this website. You may want to try asing the question again there. As it's a pretty active forum and you should get a fair number of responses.

FWIW I owned an E-500 and now own the E-510. I'm a bit familiar with your camera but have neve rexperienced the problem you're describing.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 4:20 PM   #3

Tried all of the above. Batteries fully charged. It won't focus even outside on a sunny day.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 5:06 PM   #4

One last thing to look at. With the lens mounted to the camera, press theMENU button on the lower left side of the LCD display. Go to the Tools 2 section and scroll down to firmware. It should be the last item you see. Use the right arrow button to access the firmware. If the camera is recognizing the lens, the display should show the firmware for both the camera and the lens. If not, then........

You may want to contact olympus service. They should be able to give you further instructions. Failing that, they can give you an ideas as to the cost to repair.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...vicerepair.asp

FWIW the 14-45mm lens is a relatively inexpensive lens. used ones are available

for 70-80 bucks on EBay.

Good Luck.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:29 PM   #5

This checks out, firmware for lens is listed.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6

I thought I had it figured out but I guess I didn't. I had the large lens on the camera when I did the firmware update and I thought the 14- 45mm just needed attached and then I would go to update and it would upgrade firmware for that lens, it said firmware was already updated. Could anybody with a E-500 check theirs and see what is listed at? The Olympus website list the following firmware update numbers:

Body 1.3 - Mine is 1.3
14-45mm Zuiko lens 1.1 - Mine 1.0
40-150mm Zuiko lens 1.3 - Mine 1.1

When I follow their instructions it says that camera is already updated.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Administrator

You may have a better chance of getting useful responses in the Olympus dSLR Forum.

So, I've moved this thread there for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:54 AM   #8

The only other thing I'll mention is the button to release the lens is a "lens release " button. You should not hold it down when installing the lens. If you do, it is possible to turn the lens past its proper stop and past the contact point for the pins.

If you need another lens, I'll suggest you look for the newer 14-42 kit lens instead. If funds allow, the 14-54 is also very good. If not, make an offer for my old 14-45. Its hardly been used.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:07 PM   #9

Nope, it's not that. I don't hold the button installing the lens. I guess I'm gonna take it back to the camera store where she bought it and see if they have a similar lens and try it to see if it works. Thanx for the offer Springer but I wouldn't have a clue as to the value of your lens. Thanks for all the suggestions.