Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:14 PM   #1

Took my E520 and the 40-150 f4-5.6 kit lens to the American Airlines Arena last night for the game between the Dallas Stars and Vancouver Canucks. I've been reluctant to try and get in with the 70-300 or 50-200, fearing security wouldn't allow either due to their physical length. I'd really like to get the 50-200 in to take advantage of the speed aspect and save myself from having to use ISO 1600, but the seats in the upper deck are a little narrow so you are relatively close if you have someoneon bothsides of you, and last night I did, so I found myself shooting and trying to avoid getting in anyone's line of sight and for that, the 40-150 is perfect.

While baseball is my all-time favorite sport, I have to admit hockey is a lot of fun to shoot. Constant, non-stop action. The first two periods I had my camera set to continuous focus to try and follow the puck, I found it slowed the burst mode down. In the third period Ito changed to single shot AF and found it made for much faster bursts of action and a better ability to try and get that one really good keeperfrom a series.

These were shot most always zoomed to 150mm, so in many cases I did some cropping on the computer to get as close as I wanted since these were takenfrom so far away. In-camera JPEG's, no RAW shooting at all, ISO 1600, manual exposure set to 1/640 second at f5.6, manual white balance and the noise filter was set to Standard. I wound up taking over 300 images over the course of the game and whittled that down to the 115 I posted here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...73285115_sPZZa

Oh, to have a $300 seat on the glass instead of the $40 upper deck ticket..

First goal of the game whizzing past Marty Turco..

The puck no one wanted..

The waiting glove..

Here it comes..

Which way would you go with it?..

Mid-ice action..

Good save..

Getting ready to make the pass for a shot at the far corner..

Taking the shot..

and making a great save..

Down 2-1 late in the game, Vancouver started making some really good rushes to the net, resulting in some fun action bursts..

Dallas wound up winning, 2-1.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:33 PM   #2

Hi Greg,

You saw a good game last night. The ubiquitous little 40-150mm lens did well. And, your shots are incredible in being able to freeze the action. Very well done.

I would have loved to see some action shots using the 50-200mm as you can see a fair amount of noise. But @ISO 1600, I think they look quite good.

as for me, I'm thinking about baseball. Spring Training: regular position players report on the 21st of February. That's a week away!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:-)

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:44 PM   #3

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

You saw a good game last night. The ubiquitous little 40-150mm lens did well. And, your shots are incredible in being able to freeze the action. Very well done.

I would have loved to see some action shots using the 50-200mm as you can see a fair amount of noise. But @ISO 1600, I think they look quite good.

as for me, I'm thinking about baseball. Spring Training: regular position players report on the 21st of February. That's a week away!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:-)

Zig

Hi Zig.

Yes, the 50-200 will have to wait for baseball season! They pretty much let anything in at the ballpark.

ISO 800 at f3.5 and having the 150-200mm extrarangewould have worked very well last night, but to be honest, in looking at the X3Large-sized image optionoffered bySmugmug, which is already bigger than I would ever print any of these, I was very please with the quality of the output taking into consideration these are nothing more than something I'm doing strictly for the fun of it. Still, I'd rather have both had my fast lens AND the seat with the hole in the glass and access to the strobes in the ceiling those press guys were using!

I noted in one shot near the glassthis lady with what looks to be something like a 70-200 f2.8 with the large hood attached, and it was obvious she was *just* a fan...

so maybe I'll give the 50-200 a try at the gate next time, leaving the hood at home...you never know....she looks like a pretty good-looking lady though. I probably wouldn't get the same consideration from those guys in security at the arena!

Old Feb 14, 2009, 4:48 PM   #4

I must say I was stunned to se it was the 40-150. You really did well with it.

Very nice work.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 4:51 PM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:

so maybe I'll give the 50-200 a try at the gate next time, leaving the hood at home...you never know....she looks like a pretty good-looking lady though. I probably wouldn't get the same consideration from those guys in security at the arena!

You could try to smuggle it in.

"Is that a 50-200 or are you just happy to see me?'

I wouldn't mind the lady in pink asking the question!

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:29 PM   #6

Thank you for the comments, Greg.

Sneaking the 50-200 in probably isn't something I'd be able to do, as they make everyone go through metal detectors and that lens would definitely set it off!