Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:57 PM   #11

The other thing that now has my attention is i can get the e500 for $300 used with 2 lenses, card, etc.. I dont know which to pic, a new 410 for $400+taxes or a used e500 for $300

grr:?:
bpcrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:44 AM   #12

For those who don't know FutureShop is the same as BestBuy...in fact FutureShop owns BestBuy, and they have the same lousy service.

Personally though I just couldn't bring myself to buy a dSLR there...for something like that I'd rather deal with Henry's or Vistek (or whatever local large camera store you may have). The most I ever bought at FutureShop was a Wacom tablet, and the sales person who was unable to answer my question still expected me to give the cashier a piece of paper with his employee number on it so he gets a commission (something I didn't do as his "help" was no help).

Nowadays I only buy supplies like toner, discs, and maybe the odd movie or game. Other than that I don't shop there anymore.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:00 AM   #13

bpcrally wrote:
Quote:
The other thing that now has my attention is i can get the e500 for $300 used with 2 lenses, card, etc.. I dont know which to pic, a new 410 for $400+taxes or a used e500 for $300

grr:?

The major differences between the E-500 and the E-410 are:

the E-410 has live view -the E-500 does not. In Macro photography of static objects, live view will come in very handy to fine tune the focus on small objects.

The E-410 has a 10MP sensor-the E-500 has an 8MP sensor.

The E-410 has body based image stabilization - The E-500 has none.

The E-410 is also a bit smaller.

This does not make the E-500 a bad camera. The E-410 is just a newer version.

There is a website managed by Andzrej Wrotniak, who writes about all things having to do with Olympus cameras. here is an article written by him comparing the differences between the E-500, E410, and E-510.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e410-e510.html

I recommend reading this before you make your decision. From this article, you can navigate back to his photo tidbits section that has a whole host of articles specific to lenses, cameras, and technical suggestions.

Also, you may want to look at a number of reputable on line dealers. Some of which are B&H Photo.com, Adorama.com, Henrys.com, and KEH.com. All of these companies havecustomer service peoplewho are knowledgable on the cameras. They may also be able to put together a kit with just the equipment you need for your intended photgraphy requirements.

One point that hasn't been brought up is that if you're going to photograph a live critter, You may not want to get too close with with the camera as you may frighten it. The 40-150mm lens will allow you to photograph the gecko from a distance of a couple of feet. You can thenedit and crop the image to what ever satsfies your needs.

I would try this approach first prior to purchasing any additional lenses.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:21 AM   #14

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
There is also an EX-25 macro extension tube avaialble that can be used in combination with either of the 2 kit lenses. That will allow the lens to be used for close focuing work.
I looked at the Olympus EX-25 Extension Tube, but found that it only permits autofocus on the 50mm f/2.0 Macro lens. All other lenses must be focused manually. And even at that, on the kit lenses, it only ocassionally allows magnifications of 1:2 or better.

I think the best option for macro work with an Olympus dSLR is the Sigma 105mm f/2.8.

If you're looking at the Olympus because of the size and weight, fine. But if you're looking at it becasue of the price, there are better options for macrophotography, especially if you're considering used.

For macrophotography in low light, you'll need to use either higher ISO settings that Olympus isn't good at, or longer shutter speeds where you'll need image stabilization that the E-410 doesn't have. Otherwise, you'll need a tripod. And you'll need to keep your Geckos from running off before you get the shot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:54 AM   #15

Thanks so much for that article! its very useful!

So here are my main concerns..

the 410 doesnt have IS, which I wont know is a big deal or not until i have some play time with the cam. I like the fact that the 410 is smaller and lighter however I think i would prefer the larger grip feel of the 500.

In my mind the only benefit to me spending the extra $$ and getting a new 410 over the 500 would be:
-10MP over 8MP
-new and not used
-lighter/smaller
-live view could be handy

So i'm still at square one.. if I can get the e500 I think i would like to do that. I would really like to have a newer one though and have the 10mp. No matter which i pick I don't get IS so im afraid all my lowlight photos will be a nightmare.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:01 PM   #16

You might also think about buying used equipment. I've had really good look with equipment from http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/index.php

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:48 PM   #17

In defense of Future Shop, I bought my E-510 and my 70-300mm from them.

I bought my previous E-500, 50mm and 11-22mm from a large, locally based camera chain (Don's Photo).

I bought my FL-36R flash from Office Depot!

I've had no problems at all with Future Shop. Their service was fine and their prices were cheaper than other places. The prices are what first attracted me...with the 70-300mm being cheaper than anywhere else.

Generally speaking, at this level, I don't know if service is a big issue. It's a camera kit in a box. Buying the E-500 at Don's was no different than buying the E-510 at Future Shop. The grab a box, open it up to see if it's all there, then they take your money. It's just a bit cheaper at Future Shop.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:29 PM   #18

bpcrally wrote:
Quote:
Thanks so much for that article! its very useful!

So here are my main concerns..

the 410 doesnt have IS, which I wont know is a big deal or not until i have some play time with the cam. I like the fact that the 410 is smaller and lighter however I think i would prefer the larger grip feel of the 500.

In my mind the only benefit to me spending the extra $$ and getting a new 410 over the 500 would be:
-10MP over 8MP
-new and not used
-lighter/smaller
-live view could be handy

So i'm still at square one.. if I can get the e500 I think i would like to do that. I would really like to have a newer one though and have the 10mp. No matter which i pick I don't get IS so im afraid all my lowlight photos will be a nightmare.
You really have todetermine what type of photography you'll find yourself involved in most often. Are you going to be photographing geckos and other creatures in the dark?

As for the cameras, the differences between 8MP and 10MP is usually overstated. Yep, it would be nice to have the extra pixels but most often you reallywont know the difference unless you want to blow up the images to 16 x 20 or larger.

Liveview is a nice feature. Will you use it? i don't know. That's something you have to decide if its important. The only time I use it is to shoot a full moon. in other words, not often.

The E-500 is a good camera. But do consider that the 2 kit lensesare really very good lenses and will hold you in good stead for years. They are a good investment. Most people hang onto their lenses for years but upgrade their camera body every couple of years.

By the way, OlympusIS A GOOD CHOICE for macrophotography. Here is a link to some photos posted just the other day. They were taken with an e-500. The imagesspeak for themselves:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=36

Granted, the lenses used are a bit more expensive than the ones supplied with the kit. But they are Olympus lenses not Sigma.

Hope that whatever you decide, you have fun taking lots of images and hope you come back and post some here for us to enjoy.

zig

Are there better cameras out there, yep sure But you'd be hard pressed to better the deal you''ve got for either the E-500 of the E-410 at the prices you've mwentioned.

Size of a camera is actually, to me, an important consideration. If it's not comfortable in your hand,, too big too small, heavy, you wont be happy.

Image stabilization does help in low light or slow shutter speed applications. If your young and have a steady hand. You wont miss it. And in those times when a tripod is the best solution, I.S. is turned off.

Sorry for the screwed up paragraphing, but you get the drift.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:58 PM   #19

In case you're wondering what other poeple have done with an E-500. Here is a link to a post I just viewed on another forum.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=30287732

Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:30 PM   #20

Thanks i think im going to go with the e-500.. plus it comes with 2 lenses as well..

zig those are amazing photos... i know im going with the right choice.. i just need to get a macro lens..