Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2009, 4:49 PM   #1

Hello,

So i have just a P&S cam right now. im thinking of getting the olympus e-410 from futureshop with 2 lenses..

Is the "standard" lens it come with good for marco? or do i have to get a macro lens to get anything decent?

I have lots of geckos :P And i need to take pictures of them
bpcrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2009, 6:24 PM   #2

The magnification of the 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 kit lens is 0.19X. That's not macro. Since you're talking about an older model, it's possible that it will come with the older 14-45mm F3.5-5.6, which is 0.16X, which is worse. And the telephoto zoom in the two lens kit is even worse.

To do macro with an Olympus dSLR, you'll need the Olympus 35mm f/3.5 (~$185) or the 50mm f/2.0 (~$400), or the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 (~$400).

You could also use close-up lenses, but they aren't very good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:06 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Moved to the Olympus section for you so more people in the know are likely to see your question.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:38 PM   #4

Okay Thanks..

So i guess being a poor student, an SLR might not be the smartest move if I cant use macro.. I guess I could always keep my P&S for macro..
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:41 PM   #5

Is this the Future Shop you're talking about?

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Future_Shop
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:47 PM   #6

this is the futureshop

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...11&catid=22553
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:51 PM   #7

Before you buy anything from an on-line retailer, you should check http://www.resellerratings.com

On a scale of 0 to 10, Future Shop rates a 2.58. (That's bad.) I'd look elsewhere.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:09 PM   #8

No no its not online, its in store. Futureshop is a huge retail box store. There is one in every city!

Im not worried about the seller, i just want to know if the cam is good..
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:44 PM   #9

bpcrally wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

So i have just a P&S cam right now. im thinking of getting the olympus e-410 from futureshop with 2 lenses..

Is the "standard" lens it come with good for marco? or do i have to get a macro lens to get anything decent?

I have lots of geckos :P And i need to take pictures of them
If I've got the right store, they have the E-410 with the 2 kit lenses on sale currently at 399.00, which is a good deal as the 2 lenses supplied are quite sharp and will provide a focal range of 28mm to 300mm (in 35mm equiv.)

They, however, will not give you true macro capability. Olympusoffers 2 different macro lenses the 35mm macro and a 50mm macro.. Both are excellent macro lenses with the 35mm being a bit more reasonably priced. You can pick up a used 35mm macro at KEH.com for about 140.00. You could offset part of the cost by selling one of the kit lenses on EBay or fourthirds.com as they generally sell for around 100 dollars used.

There is also an EX-25 macro extension tube avaialble that can be used in combination with either of the 2 kit lenses. That will allow the lens to be used for close focuing work. New, they sell for around 120.00 but you an pick a used ne for 90.00

Not exactly sure what you are going to want to photograph with the camera but here is a sample phot taken with the 35mm macro:

The flower is normally about the size of a quarter.

At 400 dollars, the E-410 dslr with the 2 kit lenses is a good deal!

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:05 PM   #10

Thanks very much!!

wow that flower is about the size of a quarter? excellent! I will be taking pics of geckos, small ones. I sell them so I usually need pretty detailed pics.. and then i will also be using it for just casual use..

I can hopeuflly dig up some cash and go pick it up soon! not to mention 399 is canadian!