Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:30 PM   #11

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Ah, He coulda gotten closer! That guy looks *busy*. I can say that of course, because I was here, not there.
Actually Greg, I did get closer. But I didn't post the shot because the exposure was off. Though I have to admit, I really didn't feel like sticking around to adjust the camera. However, even though it is a bad shot, I'm posting it anyway to prove that I did get close to the subject. (Actually, it was only because of the relatively small size of the gator; if that had been a 5-6 footer, you would have to use a magnifying glass to find the gator in the photo!!)

Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:39 PM   #12

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
You talkin' to me?

Hey Brent: Nice stick and hat. I have a similar hat that I use for walking in the summertime. What's the stick? Looks about 6x52 corona extra.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:21 PM   #13

Gee Steven,

You really did get closer! Way too close for me........

BTW, that rope looks like an Ashton Corona to me.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:18 PM   #14

I went back and looked at the originalphoto in color (man, I have to do a better job of organizing my photos!).

I'm sorry to say that the cigar is rather pedestrian. The cigar band is the OLD styleDON TOMAS band. The only old Don Tomas cigars I have on hand are their "Rothschild"s which is a 50 guage robusto. I have a couple of their nice Presidentes on hand but they are from the recent period (Don Tomas changed owners, changed blends and changed their cigar band art). So if I'm smoking an old Don Tomas, it's a Rothschild. In fact, I just checked my supply and I've got two boxes of the Rothschilds...one box is the old, curved-side,solid wood box. It must be TEN years old! That's basically my "go to" cigar

If that photo was taken at a better time, I might have been smoking a better cigar (although I really like the Rothschilds).Being in Canada, I have legal access to Cubans. Also, my home town is the headquarters of Thomas Hinds Tobbacconists which is a major seller (they even have a store in Beverly Hills). They have a huge walk in humidor within walking distance of my house. Last year, my neighbor gave my a couple of Cuban Bolivars (picture taken with the 50mmF2 macro) for helping him with some car problems. This photo taken just before "the fire" . Thanks to these circumstances, I've been able to sample every major brand...but I can't afford the good stuff on a regular basis. A big Cohiba here can run $60.00. I used to buy Montecristos all the time but the market pushed them from $5.00 to $25.00. Still I make an effort to buy a few premium cigars every year.

The hat is a Tilley LT5. Being as I have nice, white, freckled skin from my Scottish ancestors, I'm inviting skin cancer if I don't keep myself shaded. I consider that hat a medical necessity! To tell you the truth, the reason that photo is black and white is because my white, pink, freckled face just looks "wrong" in color!

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:50 PM   #15

Hi Brent: Thanks for the info. Interesting info on Canadian prices. I get Cubans from time to time when I'm in Canada or the Caribbean; buthave felt for several years that they are not worth the price difference. (I think all the really good makers fled Cuba a long time ago.) Anyway, Itend toward The Dominicans and Honduras makes now. Really like Hoyo de Monterray, Punch, and El Rey de Mundo, among others. I do recommend you purchase on-line at: J R Cigars.

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=home

I've bought from them for over 10 years; very reputable, prompt service, and usually the best prices.

Steven R.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:08 PM   #16

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
Interesting story to go along with the pics. Thanks for sharing.

Now the reason I don't live in Florada, ot other gulf coast states:G

Hey Fldspringer: No problem; so your dogs like to go swimming. You can move to Florida. Most of the houses have swimming pools. Justlet your dogs jump in the pool and have fun!!

:lol: