Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:00 PM   #1

Hi all,

Just read an interesting review of the 9-18mm ZD Olympus lens posted by DPreview.

Heres the link: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...-18_4-5p6_o20/

Sounds like a good "budget" alternative to the 7-14mm ZD.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2

It is quite an excellent looking lens. The 7-14 is spectacular, but can suffer as bad with regards to flarewhen usedwith side-lighting. This would be a lens I would use for the most part at 9-11mm. The lack of distortion at those widest settingsis very impressive, and the speed at those settings is very comperable to the 7-14. Those extra 2mm between 7-9mm are not insignificant for those needing the extra reach, but an equivalent 18mm view, imagequality and priceof the 9-18 is very compelling, and 9mm can capture a lot of area.

This was shot at the 9mm setting of the 7-14 I was using just about 3 years ago. I would imagine the biggest difference between this image shot with the 7-14 and one captured by the 9-18 would be chromatic abberations, where the 7-14 is very clean.

Every time I go back and look at these I kick myself for ever selling that 7-14....

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:01 PM   #3

Greg: I give up. If you had the 7-14, why did you decide that you should sell it??

:?

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:37 PM   #4

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Greg: I give up. If you had the 7-14, why did you decide that you should sell it??

:?

Steve R.
Hi Greg,

I'm with Steven on this, everytime I've viewed yourvacationgallery of France I ask myself the same question. Those images, like the one above are just wonderful. If they were mine, they would be framed and hung all over the house.

As for the 9-18mm lens, This is the one lens that I've been thinking about since the press release was first announced way back when. I've been waiting for a detailed review. If it can provide the similar results as the image youposted, then it will be the next lens thatI get. Now, all I've got to do is figure out how to pay for it.:?

Zig

Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:51 PM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
As for the 9-18mm lens, This is the one lens that I've been thinking about since the press release was first announced way back when. I've been waiting for a detailed review. If it can provide the similar results as the image youposted, then it will be the next lens thatI get. Now, all I've got to do is figure out how to pay for it.:?

Zig

Hi Zig

The ZD 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 (alens that's been around for a long time and that many of us consider outstanding) sells for about the same price as the ZD 9-18mmf/4 - 5.6. Unless you plan to always do wide-angle shots in bright sunlight, I'm curious as to why you's prefer a much slower lens just for a bit more wide-angle view.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:58 PM   #6

After getting back from that trip, I kept it for several more months, but used it less and less. Got in a mode of carrying lighter equipmentfor about a year and decided I just didn't want to keep $1,500 tied up in a lens I wasn't using as much. When I sold it, I wound up with a net loss of something over $100 or so over around the 13 month period I had it, so it did wind up being a really cheap rent(!), but now I really wish I had just held off and worked my way through that period of time, as I did get over it!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:57 PM   #7

I new wide angle is in order.....which should I get? <----sarcasim

I sure cant afford the 7-14
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:01 AM   #8

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:

Hi Zig

The ZD 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 (alens that's been around for a long time and that many of us consider outstanding) sells for about the same price as the ZD 9-18mmf/4 - 5.6. Unless you plan to always do wide-angle shots in bright sunlight, I'm curious as to why you's prefer a much slower lens just for a bit more wide-angle view.

Ted
Hi Ted,

There is no argument that the 11-22mm ZD lens is a stellar performer. And, at 2.8 is a faster lens. But its' image angle range is 89 to 53 degrees. The ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mmoffers a 100° - 62° angle of view. the 9--18mm willl then give me about an add'l 11 degrees of angle view on the wide end. for the type ofsituations that I anticipate using the lens, I''ll sacrifice the speed for more angle of view.

Honestly, if money was no object, I'd get the 7-14mm and never look back. But for what the 9-18mm offers (me) at its' price point, I think I'd be quite satisfied with it.

I'm just glad that Olympus continues to expand it's lens offering so that we have more choices.

Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:19 PM   #9

I'm not saying lens speed is everything, I was just thinking about where you want to use the lens.

If you drop the ZD 9-18mm one stop (i.e. f/5.6 to f/8, which most folks do with any lens, at ISO 200 and 1/60 sec. you'll be able to capture EV-10 to EV-11. Most outdoor daytime lighting is brighter than that so you'll be OK outdoors. But it will be difficult to use indoors - even with a flash diffuser I would guess you'd get edge darkening especially at the lower FLs.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:24 PM   #10

Hi Guys!

I quickly went through the review and can;t understand why they awarded the lens a Highly Recommend (Just) ? Having read their summary I would have given it a HR period - considering there are no major cons with the lens and IQ it seems to be just spot on for the price. SLRgear.com's review is going to be interesting if and when they do it.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote