Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:33 AM   #1

While at the Dallas Auto Show today, I had to go gawk at the local Corvette Club's toys on display. The new one's are really nice, but these classics are gorgeous.

Shot with the E520 and 12-60 Zuiko..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:25 AM   #2

......hi Greg,

It was a better day inside yesterday than out and the auto show would be a good place to be......... I've begun a COLD and ain't feelin good so I am kinda cranky .

Knowing that, I am going to say these shots do not cause me to think of you. The composition, color depth, sharpness, just the overall IQ, as I see it, of these photos just does not match up to Greg, the 520 and the 12-60.

The fourth shot down is close but still not your usual, did the new computer show up maybe?

BTW, this could all be just me. I've started baseball and have made pretty much just crap for pictures so far, tell me so if you think I've overstepped.
____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:47 PM   #3

Oooo...I'm a big Corvette lover. I actually own a '59.

I won't lie to you,it's undergoing theworld's longest restoration (i.e. I haven't worked on it in years) and I haven't driven itin over a decade. I miss it everyday. Owning an old Corvette is one of those things that everybody shouldput on their "to do" list before they die.

This pic below is a 1960 which is identical to a '59 (even owners can't tell a '59 from a 60). My photograph is rather "busy".There is too much going on to really make it a great photo. Heck, the car is so shiny you can see more stuff in the reflections that you can see on the actual car.

This wastaken last year as the first use of my "car show combo": the 11-22mm and theE510. I wanted the wide angle and the image stabilization. Basically it's the same thing you get from your 520 and 12-60. This was done at ISO 400, hand held 1/25 sec at F3.1. I included a 100% crop of the brochure sitting on the windshield.

Greg, I don't have a handy exif reader...what kind of exposure date have you gotfor those pics? Do you have any trouble with chromatic abberation...specifically on the multiple small reflections on the cars. I don't see any at the posted size. I knowthat it's an issue when I take indoor car pictures. I get some significant purple fringing on the reflections. That's one reason I preferthis particular Corvette picture in Black and white. Monochrome is the lazy man's way to eliminate CA .

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:59 PM   #4

Hi Guys: don't ever forget the fact that there is no such thing as a bad picture if itincludes a Corvette!!! And Brent, that 60 looks good in B&W.

Seriously, I've always had trouble with perfection if it's an indoor auto show with the glare of florescence lights, often mixed with other special lights from the different displays. I've always had much better results with outdoor natural sunlight with automobile shots. If you have any tips for indoor auto shows I would welcome any help.

I took a peek at your SmugMug album, and there was one I really liked that you didn't post. So if okay, I thought I would add it. If you don't want it here, just let me know and I'll delete it.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:20 PM   #5

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:

Greg, I don't have a handy exif reader...what kind of exposure date have you gotfor those pics? Do you have any trouble with chromatic abberation...specifically on the multiple small reflections on the cars. I don't see any at the posted size. I knowthat it's an issue when I take indoor car pictures. I get some significant purple fringing on the reflections. That's one reason I preferthis particular Corvette picture in Black and white. Monochrome is the lazy man's way to eliminate CA .

Hi Brent.

Since I wasn't using a flash and was trying to maximize the shutter speed they are all pretty much taken with the lens wide open, so depth of field was never going to be great when you add in I was pretty close to the front subject and was focusing on the closestname plates. The files are here and you can open a dialog box with all the exposure data on any specific image..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...78195844_HzUGm

I've not noticed any purple fringing issues with in-camera JPEG's. RAW conversions probably would require some sort of correction applied in the converter or later on the resultingJPEG's, but these were shot in JPEG capture and the JPEG engine seems to have done a very good job eliminating any CA, even looking at the many overhead bright lights that were pinging down on everything. I have been to this show in the past with compact digicams and been in purple fringing heck, so I know what you are talking about.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys: don't ever forget the fact that there is no such thing as a bad picture if itincludes a Corvette!!! And Brent, that 60 looks good in B&W.

Seriously, I've always had trouble with perfection if it's an indoor auto show with the glare of florescence lights, often mixed with other special lights from the different displays. I've always had much better results with outdoor natural sunlight with automobile shots. If you have any tips for indoor auto shows I would welcome any help.

I took a peek at your SmugMug album, and there was one I really liked that you didn't post. So if okay, I thought I would add it. If you don't want it here, just let me know and I'll delete it.

Hi Steven.

No problem!

I don't know there's much anyone can suggest for indoor auto show lighting other than getting permission to bring in a lighting set up and somecurtains to blocka fewof thehundreds of light bulbsbouncing off all the shined paint and chrome. I know what those chances are in my case!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:40 PM   #7

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
......hi Greg,

It was a better day inside yesterday than out and the auto show would be a good place to be......... I've begun a COLD and ain't feelin good so I am kinda cranky .
Quote:
I haven't caught that yet, butmyeyes have been watering for days nowfrom something in the air.

Knowing that, I am going to say these shots do not cause me to think of you. The composition, color depth, sharpness, just the overall IQ, as I see it, of these photos just does not match up to Greg, the 520 and the 12-60.

The fourth shot down is close but still not your usual, did the new computer show up maybe?
Quote:
I wish!

BTW, this could all be just me. I've started baseball and have made pretty much just crap for pictures so far, tell me so if you think I've overstepped.
____
boBB
Quote:
Not at all. If you can't take critiques and criticism, you don't need to be posting images on the internet.
Quote:
I could have done a few things differently. I was focusing near the front of each image, usually where I could find a name plate. Combined with the near wide-open to completely wide open apertures and beeing really close to the front subject, there was going to be a fast falloff in depth of field. Shutter speeds were fast enough I could have stopped down at least one or two more stops and focussed a little deeper into the image to incread depth of field.
Quote:
I did open these up in Olympus Studio and applied the Auto Tone Curve adjustment as some of the files were a little darker than I wanted. It didn't really seem to affect colors, but did open up some shadowy areas and may have made them look flatter on some screens than they looked on mine after making the correction.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:23 AM   #8

Well now I'm annoyed .

I looked at some of your Corvette pics full size and chromatic aberration is almost non-existent.

After some more research on the net, there seemed to be a general concensus that the 12-60 displays much less CA than the 11-22. Hmmm. I would have THOUGHT that I dedicated wide angle with a limited zoom range would be superior at the widest angles but apparently it's not.

I've tried to avoid buying the 12-60 simply because it's rather pricey when I consider that it overlaps my current lenses. Now, I've got to consider it. I reviewed many of my car photos (I've got a ton of them) and CA with the 11-22 is a non-issue with the outdoor shots. By the time you get up to F6-f7, it's virtually undetectable. However, it can be pretty bad with the lens wide open during those indoor shoots. That's ashame because the darn thing is incredibly sharp. Look at the 'Vette picture I posted (completely uncropped) and it's sharp from one end to the other at F3.1.

I'll also have to investigate some software solutions for the problem.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote