Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:42 AM   #1

Hi All,

I started taking some photos of traditional dry flies that I've tied over the years using the 14-54mm ZD lens. As much as I like the IQ of the 14-54mm, I'm finding that I'm really missing thedetail of the 50ZD macro.

Here area couple of images

Maybe it's time to get that EX-25 Tube!

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:48 AM   #2

........Greg has me convinced that " I need one " but I so far I've not taken the bait (pun intended)

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:31 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your cold Bob. Doesn't sound like it has effected your wit :?

Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:34 AM   #4

Just to put things in perspective, here's an image of an average saltwater streamer that I use in the salt vs a #12 Fan Wing Royal Coachman-an average Trout dry fly that I used in a stream.

Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:53 AM   #5

Smaller still.

And yes, I've caught trout on all the flies pictured:

Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:48 AM   #6

The only fly I'm able to post is one of these...

I love seeing your flys, Zig. Too bad I'd never have the patience to create something as detailed as your handiwork.

I suppose that the grass is always greener... I've been thinking of a lens realignment. I'm thinking of selling several lenses, the fifty included, to get to the kit (12-60, 35-100**, 50-200, and 35 macro) **the one I need to raise funds for

Perhaps I shound re-think. I've always loved the 50 f2.

A few more that others have never seen from that lens. A thistle flower (full frame)

A wild flower (full frame)

The planet.... Ummm.... I mean a dandelion head after the wind has done its task (Close crop)

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:39 AM   #7

Hi Greg,

If it's any consolation, the fish will eat yourfly a lot faster than they'll eat one of mine:-)

Just a quick word on whyI tied my own flies, when I first started flyfishing, I was snapping flies off at an alarming rate. I got them caught on branches, trees, bushes - my own waders everything but the intended target, trout! At the time, flies were priced around 1.25 apiece. Money, I didn't have at the time. I had to do 2 things in a hurry if I was going to continue with this maddening sport. Improve my casting and learn to tie.

One thing has come out of all ofthis effort- I can tie a pretty good fly. I still can't cast worth a lick!!! ...............and truth be told, I have never saved any money.:?

As for the 50mm vs the 35mm macro. The 50mm to me, is about as near perfect a lens as I've ever owned. I regret selling it and one day, I'll get another. I'm sure you have very good reasons for wanting a 35mm in place of the 50 but , if it were me, I'd just keep the 50mm and never look back.

As for your ideal lens assortment. That's a prettyslick collection of lenses. I've not used a 35-100mm but confess that I've looked at sample photos on various sites. It's another fine example of Olympus' outstandinglens quality.

Zig

Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:14 PM   #8

WOW! ..........that is all I am going to say.

You both have put me where I belong; in the viewing gallery at the exhibits.

tnx,
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:53 PM   #9

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
As for the 50mm vs the 35mm macro. The 50mm to me, is about as near perfect a lens as I've ever owned. I regret selling it and one day, I'll get another. I'm sure you have very good reasons for wanting a 35mm in place of the 50 but , if it were me, I'd just keep the 50mm and never look back.

As for your ideal lens assortment. That's a prettyslick collection of lenses. I've not used a 35-100mm but confess that I've looked at sample photos on various sites. It's another fine example of Olympus' outstandinglens quality.

Zig
Did I miss the two threadshere, that you mentioned - 35mm macro versus 50mm, and Greg's ideal lens assortment? Or am I just tired?

(grin)

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:45 AM   #10

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
zig-123 wrote:
Quote:

Zig
Did I miss the two threadshere, that you mentioned - 35mm macro versus 50mm, and Greg's ideal lens assortment? Or am I just tired?

(grin)

Ted

I was thinking out loud between my fly pic and the rest. The bottom line is I desire to own the 35-100 lens and it is a pretty penny, in fact about 190,000 pretty pennies.

I also have never sold a lens. There are those that I just don't use that much and they take alot of room. The original kit lenses from my E500 don't get used, I have a non SWD 50-200, as well as the SWD and only need one, the 11-22 is rarely used (I'm not a wide guy I guess) and the 14-54 which I got as the E-3 kit lens is also on my hit list.

I know I would make extensive use of the 35-100. I also know I use the 50-200 almost exclusively now. The 50 macro has been my macro lens, but I was thinking the extra magnification of the 35 might be handy, but the more I think about it, the more I enjoy the 50 f2 too much. I'll run the two (35 & 50) side by side and see which gets the bulk of the use.

So the plan is... to sell off a bunch of stuff I don't use much to pick up the 35-100, keep one macro lens, the 50-200 SWD, and pick up a 12-60 at a future date. Just four lenses, all would get used. I'd also keep the EC-14 converter. That's my plan.

Sorry for thinking out loud

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote