Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:44 AM   #1

.............often times I find a 'wish' that I could AF the E-3 where I want it to be instead of shift the look, lock AF, and recompose.

Along comes v.1.3 that allows just such a thing so I've update to the firmware revision and it took, I see the menu option.

- Added [ FUNCTION] menu that switches the AF point using the arrow pad under [ Custom Menu 1] [ BUTTON/DIAL].

I have set the feature on.

I've not yet had it work.

Have any you who have applied the update had the same difficulty?

thanks,
_________
boBBrennan
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:46 AM   #2

You know, I've been expecting a rev 1.3 firmware thread here for a while. I almost started one myself. :-)

I also enabled the AF point movement feature. Works fine for me. Try half pressing the shutter briefly, to sort of get the camera in the "mood". After that, you can move the AF point, assuming you are in single or diamond mode of course.

By the way, it's almost as easy to use without the new feature, as you just had to press the [...] button first, then the arrow pad moved the AF point (as well as the scroll wheels).

And the reason I almost started a 1.3 thread? I wanted to know if everyone's Sigma 30mm f/1.4 suddenly started working like a real lens. I can't go back to try again with 1.2, but it seems to me that 1.3 has made focusing work much, much better with my Sigma, and even improved focusing with my other lenses.

Has anyone else found that, or am I just getting full value from the placebo effect?:G
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:22 AM   #3

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
.................you can move the AF point, assuming you are in single or diamond mode of course:G
......of Course!

Thanks, that was exactly the reason for the difficulty I was having.

The camera was set to 'ALL' AF points following the update procedure. I use a 'menu print' from the online manual marked with (my) camera settings, then reset the camera following the update.

I have an excuse (not a real reason) that I did not get all the menu reset to my list.

When I reset the camera to my marked list... AF points was not marked, when the update did not work..........well, there you go.

I hope there will be more responses to the thread to share other's experience with the v.1.3.

Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:55 PM   #4

Hi Bob

I've not updated my E3 just yet - was waiting to see what effects (positive or negative) it might have had. So far I've held off but I will let you guys know if I do update.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:34 PM   #5

...hi Harj

The easier, fixed center point focus is a bit important to me when I am shooting baseball and some framing/distance insists on focusing on something other than a players face or a base bag when doing a pre-focus in anticipation of a play. A situation does not happen often but to me that is somewhat aggravating when it does.....so I am hoping this will ease the hurry-ups in some of those situations.

I've been thinking of getting the HLD-4 for the camera and some of the update applies there too. I am not handy with using C-AF, I get by but likely won't notice a difference in performance. Overall this update seems to be applying data to bring along the E-3 to current status with the E-30.

Olympus' statement referencing v.1.3.
  • AF target selection is possible by directly pressing the arrow keys[/*]
  • New battery control sequence to improve the battery life when using the HLD-4 battery holder.[/*]
  • Improved AF accuracy when using fast lenses (f2.0 aperture)[/*]
  • Improving the C-AF performance.
    [/*]
.........good to hear from you
____
boBB