Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:21 PM   #11

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
Compelling indeed.

Except for a couple of very minor things, it's got the specs of my dream camera. It would have been nice if they could have squeezed in the BLM1 battery (since I have a couple) and I'd like the electronic level from the E30. But those aren't complaints...you have to leave something for the E30 .

The E-620 does use the BLM-1 battery, which is good since I already have 4 of them.

"The Olympus E-620 DSLR will be available in May 2009. It includes E-620 Body, USB Cable, Video Cable, Li-Ion Battery Pack (BLM-1), Li-Ion Battery Charger (BCM-2), Shoulder Strap, OLYMPUS Master 2 Software CD-ROM, Manuals and Registration card."

It also will have an optional battery holder which will allow you to use a different size battery, I think it was the BLS-1. Will have to check on that.

I'm really pleased with what they have announced.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:25 PM   #12

My hat's off to Olympus. They have always been bold in their product development. They do things their way, and they do things with a set of goals that go beyond strictly pleasing the marketing department.

The E620 came as a surprise to me, as well as most. They went in an un-forcast direction and most seemed pleased with the results.

I'm not in the market for the camera. The E-3 has really taken that lust away from me. I'm simply satisfied with where I'm at, but I'm also glad to see Olympus out there putting new cameras that break new ground into the market. Good for them!

Now if only I could quench the lens lust I suffer from on a daily basis

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:03 PM   #13

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
Compelling indeed.

Except for a couple of very minor things, it's got the specs of my dream camera. It would have been nice if they could have squeezed in the BLM1 battery (since I have a couple) and I'd like the electronic level from the E30. But those aren't complaints...you have to leave something for the E30 .

The E-620 does use the BLM-1 battery, which is good since I already have 4 of them.

Well, I hope you are right but, as of now, I've checked every website I could find including dpreview, dcresource, imaging-resource, olympus-europa among others and they are all reporting it's a BLS1 battery.

Olympusamerica says it's a BLS1. This is theirE-620 specs page:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=1452&fl=4
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:16 PM   #14

You're right. When I copied and pasted from one of the websites, it was BLM-1 as you can see from the quote. But when I went back to the same site, they had corrected it; it now says BLS-1. So it was just a typo on the site.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:39 PM   #15

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:

Greg
I don't want to fuel the fire:?but there is a fellow who posted a 35--100mm lens

for sale today on fourthirds.com

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=44807
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:31 AM   #16

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
fldspringer wrote:
Quote:

Greg
I don't want to fuel the fire:?but there is a fellow who posted a 35--100mm lens

for sale today on fourthirds.com

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=44807
Thanks for looking out for me Zig.

My problem is I need to offload my excess lenses BEFORE I consider making that jump. That and I remember a time when an new 35-100 could be bought for a little over $1700 after mail in rebate.

Thinking outloud again, but I wonder if buying new would be worth it because its possible to extend the warranty to five years for less than a hundred bucks. Buying that lenswould be such a financial hit for me, I'd have to make sure it was functional for a long, long time.

I do need to get at listing my lenses over there though. I do want that lens!

I'd also like the 300 f2.8 too

Greg
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:39 PM   #17

Hi Greg

Just had a look at the 35-100f2 thats up for sale... pricewise it is pretty tempting but like you mentioned Oly last year was selling it new close to 1700USD. Its a pretty tough choice, the lens itself is just shockingly good and if you get this one or one that is brand new then you'll be always itching to get something else of that optical quality. Its a good thing that the 14-35F2 has problems and is priced sky high... as I'd be sorely tempted to get one.

Cheers

Harj

:? :G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:37 PM   #18

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

Just had a look at the 35-100f2 thats up for sale... pricewise it is pretty tempting but like you mentioned Oly last year was selling it new close to 1700USD. Its a pretty tough choice, the lens itself is just shockingly good and if you get this one or one that is brand new then you'll be always itching to get something else of that optical quality. Its a good thing that the 14-35F2 has problems and is priced sky high... as I'd be sorely tempted to get one.

Cheers

Harj

:? :G
Its partially your fault for your display of pics fromyour 35-100, and part Zig's for supplying the link (even though I saw it before he posted, but I have to blame someone:-)) but it looks like a done deal.

I'm sure it will get alot of use in the tears ahead.

Now I got to get some glass ready to sell. What's the best way to make 'em pretty?

Greg

Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:52 PM   #19

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure it will get alot of use in the tears ahead.
You will LOVE that lens! It may be kinda big and heavy, but I've never had a lens that captured images with the punch that one has.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:59 PM   #20

"Now I got to get some glass ready to sell. What's the best way to make 'em pretty?")

Maybe line'em up, or bunched, on a piece of butcher paper and take a picture with the 35-100 would be nice.

Congratulations, let us see some results soon.
____
boBB

....hi Ted!
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote