Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:30 AM   #1

Here's a link to a press release of a new DSLR camera announced today by Olympus-the E620:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympuse620/

Also, Wrotniak's already made a quick evaluation of this new dslr:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e620.html

So far, I've read 4 different perspectives on this new entry andI must say that it is a most compelling product. All of the articles were quite high on the E-620-probably the most positive comments I've read for any Olympus camera.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:44 AM   #2

I think it looks like a very compelling camera indeed - especially for the hordes converting from digicam to DSLR.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:09 AM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I think it looks like a very compelling camera indeed - especially for the hordes converting from digicam to DSLR.
Hi John,

I think you're right. up until now, most of the new E-series cameras that were introduced seemed to create a stir within the community of existing Olympus dslr users. Based on what I've been reading this morning, this may just be the Olympus camera that gets a lot of attention from people who, might never have everconsidered Olympus a player in the DSLR market.

Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:47 AM   #4

Compelling indeed.

Except for a couple of very minor things, it's got the specs of my dream camera. It would have been nice if they could have squeezed in the BLM1 battery (since I have a couple) and I'd like the electronic level from the E30. But those aren't complaints...you have to leave something for the E30 .

I only regret that I can't justify a new DSLR body this year. I bought the E-500 in 2007 and the E-510 in 2008. If I buy another body this year, I'll have some " splaining' " to do. Remember the old film days when you could buy one body per decade? Nikon spent about 20 years just tweaking the "F" before they dida major redesign. These days, something new tempts you every 4 months.

That 620 is going to be very, very hard to resist.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:57 AM   #5

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
Compelling indeed.

Except for a couple of very minor things, it's got the specs of my dream camera. It would have been nice if they could have squeezed in the BLM1 battery (since I have a couple) and I'd like the electronic level from the E30. But those aren't complaints...you have to leave something for the E30 .
Quote:
I have five BLM-1's, so it definitely would probably be a while before I'd consideran E620. Before that, the E30 may come down in priceto the point of being worth the difference since it has one or two additional userfeatures that make it preferrable, like two control wheels and it's a little better spec'd in a couple of other areas over the E620, but there's no doubt the E620 is the best featured entry model to date from Olympus.

I only regret that I can't justify a new DSLR body this year. I bought the E-500 in 2007 and the E-510 in 2008. If I buy another body this year, I'll have some " splaining' " to do. Remember the old film days when you could buy one body per decade? Nikon spent about 20 years just tweaking the "F" before they dida major redesign. These days, something new tempts you every 4 months.
Quote:
I WISH I only had two DSLR's! Of all people, I have no reason to even be looking at anything new. I am tempted way too easily, but again, my interest would be more in an E30 or even, possibly,an E3in a few months. I need to clear out 1-2 bodies in the mean-time. Not that I'd expect much in terms of funds. It just makes no sense at this point to have one or two bodiesjust sitting and doing nothing. E1, E300, E510, E520, the list just keeps growing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:51 PM   #6

Hi Guys

Greg, For a sec I thought there was an extra EXXX cam on the end of that list! The new cam does look like its going to be a wee cracker of a cam but like Brent I wish they had kept the BML-1 battery and also keeping the LCD at 230,000 pixels - it should have been on par with the G1's 400k+ screen. It'll be interesting to see how well the 620 compares IQ wise to the ASP-C cams.

I'm wondering if we're gonna see anything regards an E4/E5 and also what Panaleica plans are for their 4/3 line and m4/3 cam's.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:35 PM   #7

Hi Fellas,

For me, as much as I enjoyed reading about a new E-series camera that had the authors of the articles singing it's praises, I'm not sure if it's my ideal camera. It certainly sounds feature rich and borrows generously from the E-30. But, i'm not really looking for a smaller camera.I like the size of my E-510. In fact, I think it would be great if it was a bit larger.

The real important feature to me, it does not have and that's a larger OPV. Albeit, it's larger than the one on the E-510, I'm talking about the viewfinder found on the E-3.

I wonder how this will impact Panasonic's G1 sales? Hmmmmm

Zig

Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:58 PM   #8

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:

I wonder how this will impact Panasonic's G1 sales? Hmmmmm

Zig

The potential is definitely there for it to hurt the G1 the longer Panasonic waits to start selling more dedictated lenses for the G1. Like with their DSLR line,Panasonic lens*roadmaps* seem to say more than whatthey actually deliver in practice. Two lenses does not a system make, especially as slow as those two lensesare. While hundreds ofoptics are being adapted to use with it, none work as seemlessly as dedicated lenses would, and they've been talking a 7-14, 14-140 and 20mm f1.7 prime now ever since the G1 hit the news and they seem to be no closer to releasing them for sale.

Non interchangeable lens Digicamsare Panasonic's best market. They do them extremely well. I have a couple of them and would not buy anything else they make.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:52 PM   #9

As a person who recently fell into the E system, the 620 is very compelling. It offers a lot of great features at a very good price. The small form factor with the rich feature list should attract many people. While I'm not completely happy with the 510 because of some control issues (namely slow AF and 3 focus points, lack of top side lcd, inconsistent flash exposures, and the flash based focus assist), I am happy with the IQ (as long as I stay within its limitations) and it's small, light form factor makes it easier for me to have a camera with me at all times. The 620 addresses most of my issues (except the focus assist lamp, which drives me nuts). I can't wait to see it. I do wish they had used the battery in the E5xx series, rather than the smaller one.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:29 PM   #10

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I do wish they had used the battery in the E5xx series, rather than the smaller one.
Agreed. I'm prettysure the decision was based on the size of the camera. But, overall, there are so few issues to complain about with regards to the feature set, etc.

I hope it's released sooner rather than later as I really would like to get a chance to get my hands on one, see thru the viewfinder, see how it feels in the hand, take a few shots.

I'm sure we'll be hearing lots more during and after the PMA Show.