Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:58 AM   #1

Well, It''s the first of March and my intention this morning was to go out and take a few shots of the first signs of Spring. the post was supposed to be entitled: "It's beginning to look a lot like Spring"

Mother Nature had other ideas:

E-510, 50-200mm 2.8 1/100s f/10.0 at 200.0mm iso400

Maybe later in the week, I guesss...........

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2

Zig,
...............these are Very Nice! Only, maybe, a 35-100 would make photos as well as your 50-200 has done.

It also was freezing here last night, I never count on Spring until the 1st of April because my birthday is this month and as a kid in Iowa it ALWAYS snowed on my birthday.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:34 PM   #3

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Zig,
...............these are Very Nice! Only, maybe, a 35-100 would make photos as well as your 50-200 has done.

It also was freezing here last night, I never count on Spring until the 1st of April because my birthday is this month and as a kid in Iowa it ALWAYS snowed on my birthday.
____
boBB
Hi Bob,

Thanks..and as for the 35-100mm we'll both have to wait for Greg (the northern one) to post some 'cause this boy ain't getting one anytime soon!

BTW, hope it doesn't snow this year on your birthday.

Ugh!!!! I'm sick already of the cold.......................
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:11 PM   #4

Hi Guys: Sorry for the cold weather, but you made me feel better. I've been setting here complaining because we have a 60 degree dreary, windyday, and it's going down to 39-40 tonight. Definitely not what we expect for this time of year. But at least we don't have single digits nor snow, so I'll stop complaining.

I walked around the house today, front and back, and allmy flowers are dead, except for some azalea bushes. They are the only blossoms anywhere on my property. Even one of my palm trees is dead.

It wasn't so much that we had record lows this winter; what killed everything was that the freezing temps would last 4-6 hours at night instead of the usual 1-2 hours. My plants just can not stand up to 6 hours of freezing. So no shots of springtime buds in my backyard this year.

But hang in there fellows, spring is only 3 weeks away!

zig: nice shots of the snow with the red berrys.:!:

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:59 PM   #5

Hi Steven,

This has been a most unusual Winter up and down the eastern seaboard. I talk regularlywith my fishing buddy who winters in Key Colony Beach down in the Keys. He's been grousing all Winter as to how cold it's been there.(I have no sympathy).They've had temps in the lower forties a number of times this year andstretches where the high hasn't gone much beyond the high 50's. That is cold for the Keys.

Hope this Winters' done with the cold temps down your way. I'm going down to the Keys on the 16th and heading over to Marco for a few. Bringing the E-510 with me as I'm hoping to catch a Spring Training game between the Red Sox and the Cincinnati Reds towards the end of the month.

Also, want to take some shots of Flamingos like the ones you posted. Man, they are colorful birds. (need to shoot something other than Pelicans:?).

As for us up here, afterthe storm dumps a bunch of snow on Ted, it's coming up to dump some on us too! Hi Ted

zig

Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:38 PM   #6

Hi zig: Glad you're heading down. Hopefully the weather will co-operate and you'll get both good fishing and good photography weather.

Most of the parks in Florida have colorful flamingos. I like the flock at Busch Gardens the best.

Yes, the grapefruit league games have already started, you shouldn't have any trouble catching some games. (I don't understand why someone from Mass. isnot planning to stop in Tampa and watch the NY Yankees!!!) LOL.

:lol:

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:15 AM   #7

If not for one day, Zig, I could say those images show more ice than I saw all winter! Hopefully the one recentevening we had below freezing wasn't enough to kill what was already planted around here. In one of my more favorite areas, they already have hundreds of tulips in the ground and they were probably just several days from all being out.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:00 AM   #8

Winter seems to have a grip here too. This is the first time I haven't seen a Robin in February since I have lived in Wisconsin.

It might be a late spring around here. Cabin fever is setting in:sad:

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:03 PM   #9

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hi zig:

Yes, the grapefruit league games have already started, you shouldn't have any trouble catching some games. (I don't understand why someone from Mass. isnot planning to stop in Tampa and watch the NY Yankees!!!) LOL.

:lol:

Steve R.
Hi Steven,

Actually, the Sox and the Yankees are playing up in Tampa the week we'll be in Marco. We were debating about going to that game. But, I think, it's been decided that it's too far to gobecause we're not sure of our chances at getting in. The following day, the Sox play the Reds in Sarasota. We're shooting for that game.

Zig

Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:08 PM   #10

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
If not for one day, Zig, I could say those images show more ice than I saw all winter! Hopefully the one recentevening we had below freezing wasn't enough to kill what was already planted around here. In one of my more favorite areas, they already have hundreds of tulips in the ground and they were probably just several days from all being out.
I wish I could say the same about the ice, but we've had about the worst Winter I can recall for prolonged periods of cold and icy weather.

Tulips, eh? I'm not familiar with the weather in Texas but it sure sounds to me that it's pretty early in the season to be putting those in the ground just yet. Up here, we don't plant any flowering plants 'til Memorial Day.

Zig