Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:30 PM   #1

Well, the weather may Stink around here but, at least, the birds have been cooperating. Actually, I may have created a problem for myself as I have a fairly large group of birds that show up each day. Meaning, that I'm going thru bird seed at an alarming rate. It would be irresponsible for me to just stop putting feed out as, I think, the birds have grown a bit dependant on the feeder.

Anyways, I have a 50lb bag of sunflower seed which should get me thru the Winter and then Spring.

A few from the last few days with a couple of birds I don't generally see:

and a surprise since I don't generally Carolina Wrens around here. At least, I think that is what this bird is.

Not sure what it's up to here:

BTW, I'm really not doing a lot with trying to get rid of the noise. Although I'm using Neat Image, I'm not being overly aggresive with it. I fgure at ISO 800, these are pretty decent images.

For those interested in seeing a few more pics added recently, here's a link to the gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/50200mm

Stay warm up there in Whiskeyconsin, Greg, the Robins will be there before you know it.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:10 PM   #2

Great bird shots zig; I think you're having way too much fun with that lens and the bird feeder.

Hope the bird seed bag lasts all winter. Quick short story: I had a bird feeder lastsummer that attracted a large number of cardinals to the sunflower seeds I kept in it. But I could not see how those little birds were eating so much seeds every week. Seems like I was buying a ton of it. Then one evening we're setting on the lanai with some visitors, and someone said: "you've got a big raccoon in your tree!" I ran out to yell at him and scare him away. But the fat creature just looked at me, and returned to eating the bird seed like I wasn't even there! The only way I got rid of him was to turn the water hose on him. Moral of the story: you might be feeding more than birds.

Stay warm,

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:43 PM   #3

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Well, the weather may Stink around here but, at least, the birds have been cooperating. Actually, I may have created a problem for myself as I have a fairly large group of birds that show up each day. Meaning, that I'm going thru bird seed at an alarming rate. It would be irresponsible for me to just stop putting feed out as, I think, the birds have grown a bit dependant on the feeder.

The food isn't something I'd worry about so much as whatmight be beginning to accumulate (depending on the surface, of course)on the ground underneath and around the feeder!

These are really nice, and I wouldn't have bothered with doing anything about the noise either. I'm not even noticing it in looking at the images.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:52 PM   #4

I like all of them, but love the titmouse. That is a great bird pic IMHO.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 5:52 AM   #5

Hi Guys,

Yes, I'm having a lot of fun with this lens and the feeder. So far, it's about the only to do around here right now. And while I'm familiar with Racoons and their habits, that's yet to happen-fortunately.

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
The food isn't something I'd worry about so much as whatmight be beginning to accumulate (depending on the surface, of course)on the ground underneath and around the feeder!

These are really nice, and I wouldn't have bothered with doing anything about the noise either. I'm not even noticing it in looking at the images.
you're right, I hadn't figured on the resultant droppings. Luckily, there is nothing below except for the gravel drive leading to the garage. Once the weather warms up, I'll need to find a more suitable location. 'cause it ain't gonna be pretty in the warmer weather.

Hi Greg (the northern one) - grin

Glad you like the Titmouse photo. Happens to be a favorite of mine.I think the lighting on that one gives it a a rather nice touch.

Zig

BTW, can't wait for the weather to improve so I can get out of the house, shoot some other types of subjects and give the birds arest.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:17 PM   #6

HI ZIG: speaking of birds, you must be a real "early bird". The time stamps on many of your posts are so early, they are only a few hours after I've gone to bed!!

:lol:

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote