Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:55 PM   #1

Hi Guys and Gals

Panasonic just upped the ante' with the new 43 G1H-HD video cam and two new lenses , inc a 7-14 F4 UWA at PMA today.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...032009_micro43

http://dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3905

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09...gh1handson.asp

DPR has a hands on preview of the cam. Looking at the pics, they show that Pana's put a lot of thought into the ergonomics into the camera and the ability to switch from still to video. The other interesting news with the new cam (apart from the two lenses) is that the G1H uses a new 14MP sensor that is able to do various aspect ratios aka LX3.

According to [email protected] the new cam;s due for sale in Summer 2009.

Now what and when will Oly show an m43 cam, which is more than just a mockup ?

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

PS.

The G lenses are still too slow in my opinion.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:12 AM   #2

Hi Harjtt,

It is a bit odd to me that Panasonic continues to be the leader as far as the micro fourthirds system is concerned given that Olympus introduced the fourthirds design. It's odd, in that, I would have thought that Olympus' entry into this area would have been out by now.

Perhaps, Olympus having looked at the currenteconomic conditions, decided that their focus (pun intended) should be to continue to develop and market smaller Exxx seriesdslrs ala the E-620, that can use all their current lenses instead of having to spend time and money to develop a whole new series of microfourthird lenses-not to mention tooling up for the camera body itself.

It just may be a bit harder to develop fast lenses for micro4/3. And, I have to admit, that I while was quite interested when the G-1 was first released the E-620 killed any thoughts of going in that direction.

And yes, I agree, the lenses just released are slow.

Just to add a note regarding oly's current position on the micro four thirds, according to the PMA notes over at DPReview, Olympus is not displaying anything related to microfourthirds at this years show.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:28 AM   #3

Maybe Olympus' non-action is aimed at letting Panasonic make the most of this new format up front and also to point out, especially with the introduction of the E620, that the main focus for Olympus is still in the original 4/3rd's concept. Panasonic is the onethat flopped in the DSLR market and has the most to gain in this new system, assuming they make enough dedicated optics available for the users who don't want to fool with making *other* stuff work.

What will be interesting is how well these new, high dollar optics sell. It's pretty obvious in reading some of the responses over on the Panasonic forum at DPReview that many current and prospective micro four-thirds users have no interest in high quality optics if it means they actually have to pay for it.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:17 PM   #4

I think perhaps it's also got to do with size...

The Olympus DSLRs are small, for example the E-620 is the smallest stabilized DSLR on the market. On the other hand Panasonic DSLRs are quite big and chunky, so the natural complement to these are the micro 4/3 G1 & the GH1, which are only a bit smaller than the 4/3 Olympus DSLRs.

So I think Olympus continued the development of the E-620 as they had originally planned, but will be releasing the SMALL Olympus micro 4/3 camera soon. Then for 4/3 & micro 4/3 we have larger offerings from Panasonic, and smaller from Olympus.

If the small micro 4/3 Olympus has a full set of features and it not too expensive, then it could be G1 & GH1 killer!!!!

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:34 PM   #5

hi Greg,

Your theory is as good as any I've read.

And after reading your post, (and having a cup of coffee and waking up) I'm thinking that maybe Olympus is having some trouble developing fast primes and a fast zoom lens. Since Panasonic already has the medium to slow zoom ranges covered, I don't think they would bother to release essentially a duplicate lens range.

I agreewhen you say that the existing buyers of the G1 might be having sticker shock and probably won't spring for an expensive fast lens, my guess is that Olympus is developing a fast 25mm prime, and a fast 14-100mm zoom. And the target audience would be the buyer of the Olympus version of microfour/thirds. The Oly "rangefinder" styled body has a high "cool factor"whichI think will appeal more to the existing dslr owner looking for something small, yet with high IQ lenses and a seriously classic look.

The fun is in the speculation........we'll just have to wait to see what develops.

Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:47 PM   #6

dnas wrote:
Quote:
I think perhaps it's also got to do with size...

The Olympus DSLRs are small, for example the E-620 is the smallest stabilized DSLR on the market. On the other hand Panasonic DSLRs are quite big and chunky, so the natural complement to these are the micro 4/3 G1 & the GH1, which are only a bit smaller than the 4/3 Olympus DSLRs.

So I think Olympus continued the development of the E-620 as they had originally planned, but will be releasing the SMALL Olympus micro 4/3 camera soon. Then for 4/3 & micro 4/3 we have larger offerings from Panasonic, and smaller from Olympus.

If the small micro 4/3 Olympus has a full set of features and it not too expensive, then it could be G1 & GH1 killer!!!!

Hi,

I, for one, am quite happy that Olympus decided to concentrate on their fourthirds systems and release the E-620 instead of developing and pushing to market the Microfourthirds. It is clear, that with each new release of E-xxx dslrs, Olympus is improving their product, continuing to offer features that the other guys hadn't thought of (back lit buttons), and refining the E-xxx series camera bodies to the point where they are getting some really good press.

With each new release, the slightly smaller sensors employed by Olympus vs the Canos and Nikons are becoming less and less of an issue.

The one point that has already been mentioned in another post and I find comical is that almost all of the releases and previews, I've read list the fact that the camera startup time is slow due to the SSWF is a real knock. I guess they need to harp on something.

This year should be an interesting one for Olympus.

Zig

Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:01 PM   #7

To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed with the G-1, lenses, and their approach to micro 4/3.

The lenses are generally slow zooms. The 7-14 is interesting and it remains to be seen just how it is.

When I say I'm underwhelmed, I guess I had something else in mind. To be freed from the mirror box and the associateddesign restraints, I just don't thinkwhat I see is impressive. I was thinking more of something like the Leica M8 without the design restraints imposed by the rangefinder system. A very compact body, very small, bright primes, and an extremely portable ultra wide through short tele system.

I was in hopes of a poor man's Leica. I think Leica does a better job when it comes to compact glass. I hope Oly's vision of micro 4/3 is closer to the M-series than a bridge cam.

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:32 PM   #8

Hi Guys

Some interesting replies and all well reasoned considering what we currently have from Pana. My own thoughts - m43 is a very good idea, and looking at the thinking behind it, its basically what Oly used to describe 4/3's - high IQ, small camera bodies and high quality lenses. Its also managed to make photographers like MR over LL make quotes like this:

"Regular readers will recall that I have never been much of a fan of the Four Thirds[align=left] format. It just seemed to me to offer a not-much-smaller camera system than so-called APS-C 1.5X and 1.6X cameras, but coupled with a smaller 2X sensor factor and all that entails.[/align] The new Micro Four Thirds format has really caused me to change my opinion though. As exemplified by the Panasonic G1, the first MFT camera to ship, this new format really does offer significantly smaller camera bodies and lenses than any other DSRL ....

And image quality is hardly compromised at all compared to comparably priced offerings in reduced sensor cameras and lenses from Canon, Nikon and the rest. At 12 Megapixels the G1 is right in the mainstream, and 13X19" prints are easily possible, with quality results up to and including ISO 800. "

The rest of his latest field report can be found here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...ld-notes.shtml

For exisiting 4/3 shooters like us m43 might not have the attraction you think it would hold but I think thats to be expected but for other system users like MR, I think m43 is going to entice them to buy into it which can only ultimately benefit 4/3's as a whole. The reviews web or print have been excellent for a 1st release product which I think has taken everyone by suprise myself included and from all accounts it is selling well. It'll be interesting to see how the G1H will sell with the HD video capabilities - I can see it being snapped up by film studios, TV studios etc. I think a lot of Pana FZ users esp over at DPR simply are not interested in moving to an SLR unless its small, good IQ, has a HQ fast lens and is relatively cheap (in the $300-500USD) mark. It might take another round of camera designs before that type of UZ shooter will decide that its time to switch to a camera that provides high IQ, has excellent lenses, is yet still small and priced accordingly.

My only real concern about m43 is the lack of fast glass, although pana has stated that Leica D quality lenses will be coming and I'm sure that we'll see at least HG grade glass from Oly. I'm just suprised that they Pana didn;t start of with a number of fast HQ primes >F2 (25, 50 and 90mm) primes and F2 /F2.8 zooms.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 4:34 PM   #9

My view is that Panasonic were testing the waters with the G1 and the non Leica lenses. No use wasting money and resources on producing Leica glass that nobody will use!!! The G1 without video was an indicator to me that it was a test camera.

The fact that it has proven quite popular without video, must have been VERY encouraging for Panasonic. The GH1,I think is Panasonic's REAL camera, and a taste of things to come. It wouldn't surprise me if Panasonic will try to release a compact micro 4/3 camera before Olympus. In that respect, I think Olympus needs to hurry up a bit!!!!!

So far as fast glass is concerned, I don't know if that's really what micro 4/3 is about... If you need fast glass, then use a 4/3 lens along with an adapter. Afterall, micro 4/3 is not a SUBSTITUTE for a REAL DSLR, it is a complement to it. And of course, it's a way in for current non DSLR users.

When I'm out and about (work, shopping etc) I will always carry a camera with me. Mostly it's a compact digital camera. I see micro 4/3 as a means of carrying a big sensor camera with interchangeable lenses, in a package small enough to carry around with me.

And of course, it's also a vehicle for attaching old lenses that don't fit any current DLSR, via an adapter (e.g. Canon FL/FD). Once people realise this, FD lenses will start climbing again in price!!!!!! Remember this!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote