Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:58 PM   #21

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
I'll admit that it would be hard to find a tougher test than those night shots, and the camera did fine. It did better than my E-3 would do. The E-3 would have pattern noise (banding) with those shots at anything much over ISO1000.

Greg
I'm rather disappointed to hear you say that the E-3 would not havegiven as good a result as the E-620. Quite honestly, when the new E-620 starts shipping, i'm hoping that there will be a market correction on pricing for the E-3 as that is the body that I would most like to upgrade to. The larger OPV is something that I think is worth upgrading to. As is the weatherproof feature. As for the E-30, even though it has a similar sized OPV, I don't think it realistic to think the price on that body will come down anytime soon.

Well, I'm off to babysit the grandkids today for the weekend. On Monday we fly to Florida for 2 weeks. So, I'll try to post some boring photos when I get back.:-)

Zig

The banding on the E-3 is situational. Below ISO 1000, it seems to do just fine. Noise, but still random, not in a pattern.

When the ISO climbs above ISO 1000, it becomes important not to under expose. Dark areas is where the problem will show. If you use flash to keep areas from becomming too dark, you can get away with fairly high ISOs without banding.

The Las Vegas pics would have driven the E-3 nuts. You would not be able to get rid of a dark background, and the bright lights would have triggered the banding. That is just a situation where high ISO's wouldn't have been the way I would have shot that. I'd have shot at a lower ISO (800 or below) and used a tripod.

The E-3 is a great camera. I cannot really see myself upgrading for the next E-x because I'm that pleased with the current generation. Banding is a bug-a-boo, but I don't shoot much in that situation. From what I've seen, the E30/E620 handle that better. I'm not convinced that overall they beat the E-3, though.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:58 PM   #22

Doubled up and deleted.

Some days this site gets a bit, shall we say, S L O W

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote