Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:04 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Hi All,

Caught this gallery posted at DPreview this morning on the Oly forum. It's a link to a photo gallery taken at the PMA show in Vegas using a production model of the E-620. What's interesting to me is the quality of the night shots.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/21671/lasvegas-photos/

Zig


zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

The images look very nice, and I do like seeing others besides myself with typing issues....note the "DSRL" in the name at the top:G.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Hi all,



DPreview posted additional photos, this morning,taken with the E-620 while at the PMA Show. Here is a link to the gallery:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympuse620/page12.asp

I'll be interested to hearingyour reactions. For me, the images all look good and I can't see anything posted that would prevent me from buying the camera-from a image quality perspective.

But then, this is only one gallery.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:30 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

FOr the camera part I think the images look very nice. But there appears to be quite a bit of distortion with the photos. Is that common for the lens in question?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

The camera is really tempting, if only for the lighted function buttons! How often have I wished for this feature when trying to do quick changes in the dark. Shooting at lighted objects like buildings or Christmas lights ruins your night vision of the blackcamera bodyagainst a background of bright lights. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the ones that make you say: "why didn't somebody do this before??"

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
FOr the camera part I think the images look very nice. But there appears to be quite a bit of distortion with the photos. Is that common for the lens in question?
If you are talking about the DPreview pics, the 12-60 is known for some distortion at the wide end, but it is a 5x zoom that maxes out at 12mm.

The other site, It seems, is using a 14-42 kit lens. As with most kit lenses, there is little correction for distortion.

I'm quite impressed with the DPR pics, less so with the lets-go-digital photos. High ISO with dark areas in the frame has never been Oly's strength.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Hi John,

All the photos in the DPreview gallery while at PMA were done using a 12--60mm lens. As Greg correctly pointed outthe 12-60mm lensis known for some rather complex distortion at the widest angle of view in this case, 12mm.

In spite of this shortcoming, I would be quite pleased owning this lens as it is a fast zoom for it's range and the IQ above is extremely good with limited distortiononce you move beyond 12mm.



Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
I'm quite impressed with the DPR pics, less so with the lets-go-digital photos. High ISO with dark areas in the frame has never been Oly's strength.

Greg
Hi Greg,

The DPreview gallery certainly spans a wider area scenes so from that perspective, it gives us a better chance to see what the camera can do. The Let's go digital night shots in Vegas were of interest to me, in that, I wanted to see just how much noise would actuallly appear in the night scenes. all in all, they were okay. I will tell you that I downloaded the photos and for kicks used neatimage to reduce the noise. The images really cleaned up nicely without having that saranwrap look. i would post them but don't think it would be appropriate as they were not my images.



Zig




zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

The DPreview gallery certainly spans a wider area scenes so from that perspective, it gives us a better chance to see what the camera can do. The Let's go digital night shots in Vegas were of interest to me, in that, I wanted to see just how much noise would actuallly appear in the night scenes. all in all, they were okay. I will tell you that I downloaded the photos and for kicks used neatimage to reduce the noise. The images really cleaned up nicely without having that saranwrap look. i would post them but don't think it would be appropriate as they were not my images.



Zig



I never noticed, but others did. The pics on DPReview were taken with the noise filter set to high. Clean, but detail is going to be less. I'm still impressed.

I'm alergic to noise. Irrationally so! As much as I usually pay attention to how things print, I have a hard time applying the same standard to noise. I had the same aversion fo film grain with higher speed film too. The truth is that all or nearly all of the noise would disappear in print.

I'll admit that it would be hard to find a tougher test than those night shots, and the camera did fine. It did better than my E-3 would do. The E-3 would have pattern noise (banding) with those shots at anything much over ISO1000.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:12 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
I'll admit that it would be hard to find a tougher test than those night shots, and the camera did fine. It did better than my E-3 would do. The E-3 would have pattern noise (banding) with those shots at anything much over ISO1000.

Greg
I'm rather disappointed to hear you say that the E-3 would not havegiven as good a result as the E-620. Quite honestly, when the new E-620 starts shipping, i'm hoping that there will be a market correction on pricing for the E-3 as that is the body that I would most like to upgrade to. The larger OPV is something that I think is worth upgrading to. As is the weatherproof feature. As for the E-30, even though it has a similar sized OPV, I don't think it realistic to think the price on that body will come down anytime soon.

Well, I'm off to babysit the grandkids today for the weekend. On Monday we fly to Florida for 2 weeks. So, I'll try to post some boring photos when I get back.:-)

Zig


zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:28 PM.