Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:23 AM   #11

Greg wrote:

The maincommand in Photoshop I use that is missing in Elementsis Layer Masks, which I love using. I also very much prefer the way Photoshop is laid out compared to Elements, and there are features available in Elements that are more customizeable in the full version ofPhotoshop. The times I've played with Elements on my girlfriend's computer I've always wound up saying to myself "I sure am glad I don't have to use this all the time" after using it.

Hi Greg,

I use the limited layers features within Elements and find it to be quite useful. Since I've never owned a full version of Photoshop, I don't know what I'm missing relative to the other features within.

As I'm saving up to upgrade the camera body when the E-620 finallyarrives. I'd rather not invest the money in new software. So, sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Hargtt wrote:

Regards the RAM its so cheap now that getting an additional 1GB or 2GB would be a good way to help speed up any machine. Before you look at updating the ram - check to see how many free slots you have - the XPS usually has 4 slots and fingers crossed you have a single 1GB stick or 2 x 512MB sticks worse case you might find 4 x 256MB.

Hi Hargtt,

I checked and I've got the 2 x 512MB sticks. I've visited the DELL site and they're offering a 2GB upgrade for about 25dollarsUS. Hard to beat. At that price, I'm thinking of just getting4 sticks. According to the specs, that will actually give me 3GB of RAM that is usable on a 32 bit Windows XP machine.

BTW, dwig's suggestion apppears to be working. I used the elements program extensively last night and it worked as it should.

Thank you, dwig

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:14 AM   #12

Just a quick note of thanks to dwig. I've had a chance to work with Photoshop Elements 6.0 extensively after making your suggested changes. I'm happy to say that I've had no issues of any sort since the change.

Thanks again,

Zig

Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:26 PM   #13

....hi Zig,

That is great (your problem alleviated) and what a terrific thread, dwig came through with a suggestion that helped you...... this is what the forum is really about isn't it.

I upgraded to PSE 6.0 for the same reason as you, but for the E-3. I don't use PSE for RAW conversion at all but for that one first time need/want it really ticked me to find that the new codec would not apply to PSE 4.0...........I nearly just junked PS because of it. BUTTTTTTTTTTTT, I upgraded to 6.0 and have been happy with it since.

I have no operating difficulties with PSE 6 on Vista. I have 4GB RAM and 125 MB NVIDIA video on this computer but the old XP machine did hang up once in a while with PSE 4.0, maybe the same problem there, I will check it out with dwig's suggestion

Raining Cats & STUFF here all day & COLD, 41F right now and was 76F this same time yesterday. No snow though, we do need the rain and we are getting lots of it.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:25 PM   #14

Hi Bob,

Yes, this forum is a great site to learn and exchange information. I certainly would have never figured the hardware acceleration fix- for sure.

As for PSE 6.0 actually it serves my purposes quite well and I'm satisfied with it. Still sticks in my craw the reason I bought it-but what's done is done.

As for the rain, those flowers in the Arboretum are going to need it.:-)

Zig