Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:31 PM   #1

Hi guys,i`ve just bought a copy of paint shop pro x2 after doing a bit of research on value for money,useability and olympus compatibilty only to find it will not open olympus raw files from an e510 ----but if i upgrade to the ultimate version (for an extra 30 odd quid) this will be able to view the files from an e520.
In my simple way i would have thought that any orf file generated by any olympus camera would be identical

Obviously I did`nt do enough research

BUYER BEWARE

sandancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:59 PM   #2

All RAW files are not created equally. Whenever a new camera is released, most software will require an update to be able to read it's RAW files. Lightroom, Photoshop, et al, all require updates to be able to read the newest RAW files. This is true for most camera makers (at least the one's i have experience with, Canon, Nikon and Olympus)
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:20 PM   #3

sandancer wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys,i`ve just bought a copy of paint shop pro x2 after doing a bit of research on value for money,useability and olympus compatibilty only to find it will not open olympus raw files from an e510 ----but if i upgrade to the ultimate version (for an extra 30 odd quid) this will be able to view the files from an e520.
In my simple way i would have thought that any orf file generated by any olympus camera would be identical

BUYER BEWARE

Probably the best reason not to shoot in ORF or RAW is the fact that each time you buy a new camera or a new version of graphics editing software, you need to ensure that the RAW file by the exact camera is supported by the software. And, an E-510 RAW file in NOT the same as an E-520 RAW file.

And, if you save all your files as RAW files, you tie up huge amounts of memory.

Frankly, I gave up shooting in RAW. Instead, I've set up my e-510 to show the overexposed sections of an image when I view the image on the LCD display. That gives me the ability to change the settings on the camera and take another shot.

I shoot exclusively, in SHQ.......you're milage may vary.

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 1:47 AM   #4

sandancer wrote:
Quote:
Actually, just the opposite!!! The RAW file from EVERY different brand and model of camera is different! Even if two cameras use the same sensor, there is some signal processing so the RAW file will be different!

Quote:
Or you didn't ask here before buying. Forums are there for that purpose.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:59 AM   #5

The original poster has my sympathies because I was surprised when I first realized that the RAW files from the 510 couldn't be opened by the same software used by my 500. There's a natural assumption that files with the same sufix will be opened by the same software. It's probably not the kind of thing you would think to ask about in advance. Jpegs are jpegs...you could easily think that orfs are orfs.

Fortunately, in my case, it was an easy fix for the Photoshop Elements 5.0 that I've used in the last two years. Adobe has a simple update (free) that got me in business with the 510 orfs.

But I'm betting that most of us (users of ALL brands) are a bit taken aback when we buy our second cameras and discover that our RAW files are unreadable.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:11 AM   #6

The real worry would be backward compatibility. When will Adobe or ever the camera makers stop supporting a camera that was discontinued. I guess it might be a good idea to back up you files in multiple file types

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote