Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:45 PM   #2

Which lens? Both are very nice, but #2 is really a cool shot from a great angle. Hopefully no one was shooting at that bird from behind the dog!

Looks like alonger distance shot....the 70-300 Zuiko?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:49 AM   #3

hi Greg,

Looks like your 35-100mm is pretty darn sharp.

Have fun with it and keep posting

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:24 AM   #4

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Which lens? Both are very nice, but #2 is really a cool shot from a great angle. Hopefully no one was shooting at that bird from behind the dog!

Looks like alonger distance shot....the 70-300 Zuiko?

This is the 35-100. I bit the bullet big time.

The dog is fine. Here's the next in a sequence at the e-3's 5 fps.

Greg

Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:40 AM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
hi Greg,

Looks like your 35-100mm is pretty darn sharp.

Have fun with it and keep posting

Zig
I'm enjoying!

Using the lens, the first thing I noticed was how short 100mm is when I was so used to the 50-200. Its a big piece of glass and it seemed like it should zoom longer. The second thing was the viewfinder was so bright and sharp.

The first day out I only took the 35-100. The second I coupled the EC-14 to it and used that combo. It really makes it a better lens for my dog shots, but is insanely big for a 50-150 f2.8 lens.

The lens is sharp. When someone says its like the 50 macro that zooms from 35 to 100, that about sums it up.

The above photo is a modest crop.

The one below is 100%

Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:03 PM   #6

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
I'm enjoying!

Using the lens, the first thing I noticed was how short 100mm is when I was so used to the 50-200. Its a big piece of glass and it seemed like it should zoom longer. The second thing was the viewfinder was so bright and sharp.
Hang in there. That lens, despite being big and heavy, is the best lens there is for digital photography, that I have ever used.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:47 PM   #7

Hi Greg!!

Well done on getting the 35-100F2! Can;t agree any more than what Ted's said about the lens.. you know we both think its the bee's kness of a lens!

The second shot is a cracking pic. Have you updated the firmware on the E3 to 1.3? I;ve held off so far but am thinking of upgrading.

Your right about how short 100(35mm equ 200mm) is esp when you see the size of the beastie but you get used the lens and its focal length. Its not really a birders lens but I can see with the TC it could be well be and I've been looking at picking up the TC so post some pics with the combo!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:07 PM   #8

Just to keep this lens inan overall perspective, we need to remember that if it had to deliver an acceptable image to a FF sensor it would need to be way larger, way more expensive, and therefore probably wouldn't be an F2. (it's no accident that Canon and Nikon don't have an equivalent F2 lens.) Also, if it were a Canonor Nikon lens, it would need to have IS built in, which would raise the price even more.

Personally I keep this in mind when I lug around that lens (grin).

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:59 PM   #9

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg!!

Well done on getting the 35-100F2! Can;t agree any more than what Ted's said about the lens.. you know we both think its the bee's kness of a lens!

The second shot is a cracking pic. Have you updated the firmware on the E3 to 1.3? I;ve held off so far but am thinking of upgrading.

Your right about how short 100(35mm equ 200mm) is esp when you see the size of the beastie but you get used the lens and its focal length. Its not really a birders lens but I can see with the TC it could be well be and I've been looking at picking up the TC so post some pics with the combo!

Cheers

Harj

I did update the firmware just before I got the lens. In good light, that sucker nails focus time after time. I can't compare before and after, but I'm impressed with the C-AF capacity of the E-3/35-100 combo. The EC-14 doesn't seem to hinder inany way either.

The first three pics were taken with the EC-14. The last is without.

The size really isn't an issue for me. The good lord made me big and dumb for a reason. Dumb so I spend $1600 on a camera lens, and big so I can lug it around. All kidding aside, the combo really isn't that much more than the 50-200/E-3, and the only thing I'll be doing is to find a strap a bit more kind to the neck.

Greg
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:08 PM   #10

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
I'm enjoying!

Hang in there. That lens, despite being big and heavy, is the best lens there is for digital photography, that I have ever used.

Ted

Thanks for everything, Ted.

I'll add to the list of things I notice about the lens. When the pics load up in Lightroom, the contrast is astounding without doing a thing. The pics just seem to leap off the monitor. I'm very happy with the lens. The weight will not be a huge issue for me.

So far, I agree with both you and Harj. It is a heck of a lens. I'll try to wear the thing out!

Greg