Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1

Just updated from PhotoshopCS2 to CS4. Shot some images RAW with my E520 this evening knowing I'd want something new to try out. Boy, the difference in ACR from CS2 to CS4 is amazing. There are some really cool *new*sliders to play with.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:22 AM   #2

Hi Greg

No 2 is just pretty special - spot on composition. How do you think the files using ACR compare to the files from Oly's Master/Studio ? I've been using LR2.3 and like the files that its been able to produce but havent been able to compare the files with those from studio. My only peeve with Adobe is that they decided not to provide ACR 5.x for CS3 which is just seriously annoying if you ask me, esp if yo'd only pucrhased CS3 say 12months ago.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:35 AM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

No 2 is just pretty special - spot on composition. How do you think the files using ACR compare to the files from Oly's Master/Studio ? I've been using LR2.3 and like the files that its been able to produce but havent been able to compare the files with those from studio. My only peeve with Adobe is that they decided not to provide ACR 5.x for CS3 which is just seriously annoying if you ask me, esp if yo'd only pucrhased CS3 say 12months ago.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

I know what you mean about Adobe stopping the continued support of ACR once they switch versions, having been stuck in the final version available for CS2 now for a while. I did not convert to CS2 right away either, so ran into the same issue when CS3 came out.

A couple of images where I shot at ISO 800 here, the resulting noise characteristics seemed much cleaner than what I am used to seeing out of Studio when using one of Olympus' noise filter settings.

When I opened the folder in Studio that included the RAW files processed in CS4 I received a funky-looking message about not being able to open certain files and I want to go back and look at that later today when I get home from the office. It seemed to be with the files where I used the clarity slider in ACR, which is a really cool function.

Later note: As I think about this more, I wonder if it has anything to do with having worked the files I did in Photoshop in the 64 bit version of CS4and then not being able to open them up in a non-64 bit program like Studio? I noticed when I upgraded, I have the option of opening CS4 in a 64 bit version or non-64 bit version.

Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:32 AM   #4

After posting this, I asked the same question over at DPReview, and from one replyit does sound like using the 64 bit version of CS4 to process those RAWfiles is the issue Studio is having in not being able to thenopen them up, so if I plan to use Studio and want to try a file I work in CS4 I need to be sure and open the 32 bit version of CS4.

Not sure if I'm going to do that or not based on the output I am saw last night, but I'll go back to some older files and see what type results I get with CS4 compared to what I used earlier and see if the results are better to the point I just want to stick with the 64 bit version of CS4 and just not use Studio as much.

*UPDATE*- There's an output program optionyou can select in Studio, and I've been told there is a 64 bit CS4 option, which I will check intotonight. If that is the case, it may fix the problem I was experiencing. I'll keep you updated.

Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:54 PM   #5

Hi Greg

Thanks for the info, I'm a bit suprised about the problems with Studio is havign after the RAW's been modified in ACR. I'd always assumed that ACR/LR didn't actually modify the raw file but wrote any changes that you make to a separate file (.xmp format), so I would have assumed the same for the 64bit version of the app. The IQ from those pics is looking very good indeed.

Cheers

Harj

: o )>
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote