Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:58 AM   #1

Hello everyone,

I've lurked for some time, but I finally have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to. Does the EX25 allow for auto focusing with any of the lenses, particularly the 70-300 or the 40-150? From what I've read, I believe it's not supposed to, but I've also read that a lot of things that aren't supposed to work do. I'm new to this whole photography gig, and I'm not so good just yet. I'd like to have the autofocus to fall back on if I must.

For all y'all in TX, and it seems to be quite a few, please keep posting the pics--I'm missing home. The pics from the trip to Lubbock really tugged at the ol' heart strings. I must have driven from San Angelo to Texas Tech a hundred times in 2007 and 2008.

I'd like to include a shot of a little gibbon I took at the Seoul Zoo. It's a significant crop from a shot I took with the 40-150. I went back after I got my 70-300, but the little thing was all hyped up that day and wouldn't sit still. I hope to be headed back in a few weeks.

All the best,
--Paul

Attached Images

pwharve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:40 AM   #2

pwharve wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I've lurked for some time, but I finally have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to. Does the EX25 allow for auto focusing with any of the lenses, particularly the 70-300 or the 40-150? From what I've read, I believe it's not supposed to, but I've also read that a lot of things that aren't supposed to work do. I'm new to this whole photography gig, and I'm not so good just yet. I'd like to have the autofocus to fall back on if I must.

For all y'all in TX, and it seems to be quite a few, please keep posting the pics--I'm missing home. The pics from the trip to Lubbock really tugged at the ol' heart strings. I must have driven from San Angelo to Texas Tech a hundred times in 2007 and 2008.

I'd like to include a shot of a little gibbon I took at the Seoul Zoo. It's a significant crop from a shot I took with the 40-150. I went back after I got my 70-300, but the little thing was all hyped up that day and wouldn't sit still. I hope to be headed back in a few weeks.

All the best,
--Paul
Hi Paul!

Cool little critter.

Glad you liked those Lubbock shots. My daughter, who is a Junior up therethis year, may soon be in your position. She's in ROTC andgoing in to the Air Force and flight school right after graduation....no telling where she will "land".

The EX25 does allow focusing throughout the range with both the 70-300 and 40-150 Zuikos. There's no way I'd rely on my eyes to focus on these dim screens. I can't really even judge focus that well on the relatively bright E1 screen. I always relied, big time, on the split imagerangefinders the film SLR screensalways had.

The one thing the EX25 does do is really narrow the depth of field. In-focus areas are really narrow, as is the distance range the AF system works at any focal length. When using the EX25 you have to zoom first until the subject starts to come into focus, then press the release half-way in to finish the job. It can take a little getting used to, but it really gets you a lot closer.

The closer you are to the wider end of the zoom, the closer you have to be to the subject. By the time you zoom out towards, and are using the 200-300mm setting, you can be 3-5 feet or so away, which is a great working distance to put between yourself and, if it's a living subject, can be the difference between it staying around for you to take a shot and it flying or runningoff.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:06 PM   #3

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
pwharve wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I've lurked for some time, but I finally have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to. Does the EX25 allow for auto focusing with any of the lenses, particularly the 70-300 or the 40-150? <snip>
All the best,
--Paul
Hi Paul!

Cool little critter.

Glad you liked those Lubbock shots. My daughter, who is a Junior up therethis year, may soon be in your position. She's in ROTC andgoing in to the Air Force and flight school right after graduation....no telling where she will "land".

The EX25 does allow focusing throughout the range with both the 70-300 and 40-150 Zuikos. There's no way I'd rely on my eyes to focus on these dim screens. I can't really even judge focus that well on the relatively bright E1 screen. I always relied, big time, on the split imagerangefinders the film SLR screensalways had.

The one thing the EX25 does do is really narrow the depth of field. In-focus areas are really narrow, as is the distance range the AF system works at any focal length. When using the EX25 you have to zoom first until the subject starts to come into focus, then press the release half-way in to finish the job. It can take a little getting used to, but it really gets you a lot closer.

The closer you are to the wider end of the zoom, the closer you have to be to the subject. By the time you zoom out towards, and are using the 200-300mm setting, you can be 3-5 feet or so away, which is a great working distance to put between yourself and, if it's a living subject, can be the difference between it staying around for you to take a shot and it flying or runningoff.
Thanks so much, Greg. With the EX25, I'm primarily interested in flowers, banana spiders, and dragonflies--which is about all we have on Osan AB that I can take pictures of. With the buds, that stand-off distance is something I'm looking for. The cops here freak out if I head toward the flight line with a camera, which is too bad because I could get some great angles on the A-10s taxiing.

I thought you might have a Red Raider in your family as I don't know anyone who heads out to Lubbock from Dallas unless they need to. My wife is at Tech teaching and finishing her PhD. I was super excited to find out that they need me to boondoggle back to San Angelo to get some course materials from Goodfellow--should be back home in two weeks, even if just for a few days.

Cheers,
--Paul

Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:00 PM   #4

Hi Paul

That shot looks biting sharp and its good to see how good the 40-150 is. I've got no exp with the EX25 but Greg and a few others definitely do.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:08 AM   #5

I'm with Harj, as I don't have the EX-25. It may be just the ticket to get you closer with your existing lenses.

I just wanted to comment on the pic. I'd say I like the result and the reflection of you in the eye is astoundingly sharp. Home run on that one.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:00 AM   #6

Harj, fldspringer,

Thank you for your kind words. I thought it would be a cool picture, but I was totally surprised when I opened it in Studio and the reflection turned out to be me. I guess sometimes lucky is enough.

Cheers,
--Paul

Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:57 PM   #7

Here are a couple images I just shot with the 40-150mm f4-5.6 Zuiko and EX25 on the E520. I also used bounce flash with a little of the light sent forward fromthe FL50R with a Demb bounce attachment.

Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:10 PM   #8

These are amazing photos, as always, Greg. That's just about exactly what I'm looking to do with a little standoff distance.

All the Korean aunties laugh at me when I'm stretching and contorting, like a monkey reaching for a banana, trying to get decent shots without squashing anything at the botanical gardens. They seem to plant all their interesting stuff just out of reach of a decent framing with my 14-42. I think the 40-150 or the 70-300 with the EX-25 will work out well for me with flowers and be perfect for dragonflies, which are actually pretty patient here. I should have a EX-25 over here by next week--there aren't any Olympus vendors here that I'm brave enough to try to find with my minimal Korean language skills.

Cheers,
--Paul

Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:45 PM   #9

The 70-300 in particular is great for those blooms just out of reach for getting physically close enough, or keeping your distance from something that might otherwise fly off.