Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:03 AM   #1

Yesterday, an event occurred that took my mind off which macro lens I might want, and focussed it (no pun intended) on other things.

I was idly taking photos on a drive around nearby hills when I noticed that there was a blank portion in each photo. Worried, I took off the lens, activated cleaning mode (for the first time, of course) and saw a piece of shutter blade hanging over the sensor!

It looked a lot like this guy's one, but at a different angle:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29322016

To cut a long story short, I'm two months out of warranty, the E3 is in for service, and I've lodged my sob story with Olympus Australia. The chap on the phone agreed that a dead shutter at 31000 activations was a pretty poor effort for a product that should last 150000 activations, and I'm quietly confident that they'll cover the bill when it arrives. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, the strangest effect is how odd it feels to not have a DSLR in the house. :O I'm having to resist a strong urge to rush out and buy a E420 as a backup, and as something to play with while my E3 is away.

So, now to questions: If I give in to my impulses and buy an E420 as a backup, what use would I have for the 14-42 (and/or 40-150) kit lens(es)? I've already got a spare 18-180 I never use that could be stored attached to the E420.

And why is the Komachi bundle (E420 + 25mm pancake) more expensive than the E420 twin lens kit? Around here, it's 10% more expensive to buy an E420 + 25mm + leather case than the E420 + 14-42 + 40-150, while if I bought just the two kit lenses, they would be comfortably more than twice the price of the pancake.

Lastly, does anyone have any juicy rumours about an E420 successor arriving soon? That might just give me the power to hold off on a rush purchase!

Edit: fixed a typo.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:57 AM   #2

That's a kick in the butt. Sorry to hear. I'd be bummed too.

As to a backup camera, I just kept my old E500. It rides along in my pelican case, and when I do drag it out from time to time, I wonder if it was all that important to have upgraded to begin with. The old camera's output is quite good.

Anyway, good luck with getting your camera back up to speed. I think they should do the right thing and replace you shutter at their expense because it did fail before it really should have.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 3:07 PM   #3

I would hold on and see what the E620 will cost. I think this is the replacement for the E420?. AsI was thinking of getting this to.Forwhen u just want a light weight combination when going out rather than the E3.

Hope Olympus fix it for nothing as it has still failed what it was desighned for.

P.S Let us know what happens
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:23 PM   #4

Damn thats gotta hurt and be so annoying as well. I was tempted to give my E1 away to a close friend but I think I'll definitely be holding onto it - dodgy that it is.

Hope you get the E3 back asap and that they give you a reason to what could have caused the failure.

Not sure about the 420 replacement - the 620 kind of looks like a good update to the 420 but I could well be wrong. If were gonna see a 430 then it won;t be until July-Sept. I think the best camera for the price has to be the 520 - slightly bigger, nicer grip, very good IQ and also it uses the same batteries as the E3.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:40 AM   #5

Well, without making an epic of this message, I have the estimate for the repair (which is close to the cost of an E420, so it's not trivial), and am waiting for Olympus to stroke their collective chins over who gets to pay. I still have my fingers crossed.

To cheer myself up, I went to my local camera shop today, and tried every piece of Olympus gear they had. :-)

In rapid fire: I love the 7-14 on an E3. I wish I were rich.

The 9-18 on an E3 is kinda nice, but maybe not sufficiently better than the 12-60 at 12mm to win my cash and bag space.

The 50mm is just as hard to use as my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (but then the E3 body had firmware rev 1.0).

I can't hold the E420 and my big thumbs mash the keys. They can sell this thing to people who aren't midgets?!

The E520 seems like a real camera, but again my fingers hit buttons when I'm just trying to hold the thing. This could be a nice backup camera, if I end up with such a luxury. Perhaps if I call it my wife's camera...

The E30 is a bit small. Yeah. I'm odd.

Holding even someone else's E3 was nice. :lol:

I'll be going back with some of my gear to add to their gear to see if the 50mm + EC20 is fun, or if the EX-25 + 50-200 is more fun.

At least I'm certain now that the E3 is the Olympus camera for me.

PS: Good point HarjTT about the E520 battery. This is a clear advantage over the E620. Maybe there will be cheap E520's once the E620 arrives here.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 7:34 AM   #6

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
I can't hold the E420 and my big thumbs mash the keys. They can sell this thing to people who aren't midgets?!

The E520 seems like a real camera, but again my fingers hit buttons when I'm just trying to hold the thing. This could be a nice backup camera, if I end up with such a luxury. Perhaps if I call it my wife's camera...

The E30 is a bit small. Yeah. I'm odd.
No you're not. I bought an E500 when it first came out and used it with great pleasure for some years. But I had the same problem you describe - fingers unintentionally pressing buttons just when holding it. The E3 fits my hand very well. So I think it's a matter of how large one's hand is - we have larger hands and the controls on small cameras are just too close together for us, andthe micro-4/3 cameras are unlikely to ever be attractive to us. Folks with smaller hands find the smaller Olys to be more comfortable. That's why one needs to try a camera before buying it.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:01 AM   #7

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
To cheer myself up, I went to my local camera shop today, and tried every piece of Olympus gear they had. :-)
Quote:
I was in Arlington Camera one time when they had a 35-100 f2 on the shelf. That's a honey of a lens to play with in the store.

In rapid fire: I love the 7-14 on an E3. I wish I were rich.
Quote:
Oh baby, the 7-14 is sweet. Hadone for a good 13 months back in 2006-07. It is just so big, and when you are out shooting with your camera and main lens in-hand and the 7-14, 50-200, flash and accessories in tow,the weight effecton your shoulder from the strapreally starts kicking in.

The 9-18 on an E3 is kinda nice, but maybe not sufficiently better than the 12-60 at 12mm to win my cash and bag space.

I just picked up the 9-18 myself. Excellent little lens. While it does have "kit lens" look to the exterior, it does have a better looking finish to it compared to the two kit 14-42 and 40-150lenses, and I noticed the 9-18 was "Made in Japan", which sort-of suprised me too.
Quote:
My main lens is the 12-60, so my plans for the 9-18 are to use it often as a 9mm f4 prime extension. The extra coverage 9mm gives over 12mmI have seen so far inthe limited time I've had itseems worth it and, unlike the 7-14, the 9-18 add no additional heft to a bag. It just light as a feather.

I'll be going back with some of my gear to add to their gear to see if the 50mm + EC20 is fun, or if the EX-25 + 50-200 is more fun.
Quote:
The EX25+50-200 is a lot of fun.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:31 AM   #8

Well, here it is, just over a month after putting my E3 in for repair and it's back! Phew!

Why so long? Leaving out all speculation, finger pointing and angst, Olympus Australia just took a long time to make an offer of part payment on the repair, and while this was going on, nobody else did anything, just waited for Olympus.

Of course, people at Olympus were surprised that they were blocking the repair, and everyone else was surprised that they didn't know they were blocking the repair, and then I was surprised at Olympus's surprise, and so it goes. Then when we thought everything was sorted, they discovered there were no replacement shutters in the country! D'oh!

During this whole debacle, I looked seriously at my choice of Olympus vs the rest. I looked carefully at whether I could get by with a cheaper Olympus camera. In the end I decided that the Olympus lenses I have (and those I can afford a little later) are exactly what I want, and that in the Olympus range, the E3 is the camera I want. So, I just had to grit my teeth at the delay. :-)

In the end, Olympus paid for half the repair, and I got my E3 back. I had hoped for 100% free, but I didn't get that. I didn't get the shredded shutter as a souvenir either as Olympus wants it, presumably to work out why it died so early.

Simultaneously, I had my "in the bad serial number range" 12-60mm checked out and given the all clear. Interestingly, they upgraded the firmware on the 12-60mm from 1.1 to 1.11, which must do something, right?

Speaking of firmware, the tech cleared my camera to zero and reloaded all the eproms (yes, all my "secret menu" counters are back to zero) but then forgot to upgrade to rev 1.4 (I was basically in the repair shop at closing time on a Friday hopping from foot to foot while he finished the job). So I now have a camera at rev 1.0.

Why don't I just whack 1.4 on it? Fear! I've spent so long without it, I don't fancy risking it, and I'm going on a trip tomorrow for a few days, so I'll take what I have.

After I get back, I'll be able to do some 1.0 vs 1.4 comparisons. I'm especially interested to see if my Sigma 30mm improves in focussing. I thought 1.3 was fairly good compared to 1.2, but I'm told 1.4 is spot on.

So, there's the story. I wrote a few angry messages during this last month but decided not to post them. It seems that was a good call as being cranky didn't help anything.

Now I'll just go back to enjoying my E3! You can't really tell it's been on a long adventure. The new shutter sounds subtly different, perhaps. But that's it.