Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:21 PM   #11

Going off-topic now, I know...

Oh, and the hockey game was fun too. The Stars lost 6-3, but I had a good time. Shot these (except for the first image)at ISO 1600, 1/640 sec at f5.6 with the 40-150mm kit lens. Captured RAW and processed in ACR.

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...00959134_c4stY

Yep, right through his legs..get your bottom down!

Goal..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:36 AM   #12

Zig wrote: "I realize the ability of the photographer has a lot to do with the final outcome."

........and I think that pretty well sums it as far as I am concerned. I've on and off wanted the 11-22 now for some time but the 9-18 is tempting should I get either.
____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:58 PM   #13

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
The shot of the conference room is impressive, in that, it doesn'texhibit any distortion that my eyes can see at all. I'd be curious to see how the same shot taken with the 12-60mm would compare.
I went back and shot this room, both at the 12mm end of the 12-60 and the 9mm end of the 9-18. Iaimed the 9-18 up to keep the bottom of the two files close to the same, with the result of the closer walls tilting in. Should have kept it more level, but this gives you an exact idea of the difference between 9mm and 12mm.

The other thing I did was regarding the processing. The skies today were bright, not overcast like inthe original shot I posted above. Icaptured these twoimages RAW, then processed the file twice in Adobe Camera RAW as Smart Objects...one for the room and once for the scene outside the windows, then used the Layers Style box to blend the two files together. These were the first two files I've tried this way. It's a pretty darn cool process.

12-60 at 12mm:

9mm end of the 9-18:

Old Apr 7, 2009, 5:30 AM   #14

Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking the time and bother to re-shoot this scene with both lenses. Even though there is only around a 15 degree difference in the angle of view between 9 and 12mm, the shot using the9-18mm is more dramatic (IMHO) in it's depth and overall perspective.

And thanks for explaining the process used in PP. I didn't realize ACR allowed that kind of flexibility.

regards,

Zig

BTW, the Red Soxhome opener was postponed 'til today. We gotover an inch of rain yesterday with winds whipping between 25 -40mph. The Sox ownership had the good sense toannounce the postponement at 10o am.

I guess it all starts today for us in New England! Go Sox.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:38 AM   #15

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking the time and bother to re-shoot this scene with both lenses. Even though there is only around a 15 degree difference in the angle of view between 9 and 12mm, the shot using the9-18mm is more dramatic (IMHO) in it's depth and overall perspective.

And thanks for explaining the process used in PP. I didn't realize ACR allowed that kind of flexibility.
Quote:
Smart Objects are really cool. You can open every RAWfile up that way and it really increases the versatility. You open a file up in ACR, do what you want to do, then, instead of just clicking on open, if you hold down the ALT key, the open button becomes OPEN OBJECT. The file opens in Photoshopjust like regular, but a Smart Object opens in the Layers box off to the side. At this point you can do what you want in Photoshop, but everything you do is applied in a Layers Adjustment, and if you decide you want to go back to ACR, just double click on the original file in the Layers box and the file reopens in Camera RAW.
Quote:
You do what you want in ACR again, click OK and the file opens up again in Photoshop and all the things you had done in Photoshop prior to reopening the file in ACTare still there. It's like you never converted the file, so everything you do, be it in ACR or Photoshop, is all there to go back to at any time. Once finished to can save the finished file as a JPEG and, if you want, you can save the open RAW file (Smart Object)and all the Photoshop adjustments to go back to later. It took me a while to process what the author was saying a Smart Object is. Now that it's finally clicked on in my brain, I'm going to use it a lot.
Quote:
regards,

Zig

BTW, the Red Soxhome opener was postponed 'til today. We gotover an inch of rain yesterday with winds whipping between 25 -40mph. The Sox ownership had the good sense toannounce the postponement at 10o am.

I guess it all starts today for us in New England! Go Sox.

They played here yesterday. It was cool, but few to no clouds and they actually won an opener for a change. I Shoulda been there. It's probably all downhill from here!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:26 PM   #16

Very impressive shots, Greg. I don't know how I missed this thread, but just came across it tonight.

Steve R.

P.S.
That cat weighs more than either one of my dogs!!

:lol:
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote