Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:49 PM   #1

Everyone has their favorite sunrise shot. This one, shot while at Vero Beach last week happens to be one of mine:

The morning light and just a hint of a breeze made for this interesting(to me) image:

While in the Keys last week, we had a daily visitor to the back dock of my friends home. This 'fellow' apparently liked the 'digs' inspite of my friends dog that harassed him constantly. Since he was about 4-5ft long, I didn't think it prudent to get any closer than about 10ft away. Another benefit of the 70-300mm lens.

An interestingflower at a farmer's market

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:01 AM   #2

HI Zig

I really like the second reflection shot and the one of the lizards pretty cool too! What caught my eye about the lizard is the size of the claws, so Im not suprised you kept your distance.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:18 AM   #3

Hi Harj,

The lizards are interesting critters. They like to warm themselves in the mid day sun and sit still for an extremely long time. This gives you an impression that they are docile. Ifwe got too close they started to bob their head up and down, and most of the time, just moved away a few feet. Theywere pretty stubborn and didn't leave until the dog got too close. But, they surprised me as to how fast they can move when they want to. Here's the lizard with a couple of friends:

Old Mar 30, 2009, 8:05 AM   #4

Hi all,

Didn't have much of an opportunity to take a lot of photos while we were in Florida the last 2 weeks. A few days before we left, my wife 'blew' her knee out playing tennis. This made taking walking toursimpossible. So, most of the time spent was sitting by the pool, or on a beachand fetching stuff for the missus. I know, this sounds like I'm whining. I don't mean to-just trying to explain how I could be in such a wonderful place as southern Florida and not take advantage of the beautfiul scenery.

I had packed the E510 with a 70-300, 50-200mm, and the 14-54mm. I also picked up an EX-25 tube on Craig's List. I felt like I was properly equipped and ready to take some great shots. Oh well, there's always next year.

Anyways, rather than fill up this post with mundane photos, here is a link to a short gallery of snapshots taken during our trip.

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/colors

Old Mar 30, 2009, 8:42 PM   #5

Great shots zig, excellent colors! Captures the Florida lifestyle; if I didn't already live here I would want to move down there! LOL!

And the iguana shots were nice. They are not aggressive, but if cornered they can bite, scratch, and also try to swipe you with their tail. They were not native to Florida, butpets got loose back in the 60's and they have thrived in the wild, and keep reproducing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the shots.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:12 PM   #6

Vero Beach! Did you gosee Dodgertown?

Tell your wife I said I hope she gets well soon. Bum knees are a PITA.

I really like that reflection and sunrise. The floral closeup is very nice too.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:54 PM   #7

Hi Greg: If he saw the Dodgers, he took a long plane ride; Florida lost them to Arizona. They play in the cactus league now!!! It's a shame, they were in Vero Beach for years.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:29 PM   #8

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Vero Beach! Did you gosee Dodgertown?

Tell you wife I said I hope see gets well soon. Bum knees are a PITA.

I really like that reflection and sunrise. The floral closeup is very nice too.
Hi Greg,

I did drive through the Dodgertown complex. Trouble was, like Steven mentioned, that the Dodgers moved to Arizona some time ago. I did, visit the complex a few years ago while visiting friends and saw them practice. It happened to be the year that Grady Little took over as manager. Also on the roster were Derek Lowe, Bill Mueller, and Nomar Garciaparra-all former Red Sox players. It was a little strange to see so many former Red Sox in Dodger blue.

BTW, the complex is actually quite impressive. A great place to see a game. My friends tell me that the town is working hard to secure a team to play there. I hope they're successful as it would be a shame to see the complex go to waste.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:43 PM   #9

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Great shots zig, excellent colors! Captures the Florida lifestyle; if I didn't already live here I would want to move down there! LOL!

Steven R.
Hi Steven,

There is somethingunique about the colors found in the Florida landscape that I haven't really seen anywhere else (that I've visited). I don't quite know how to explain it but the color combination of the water and sky combined with the palette of colors found in the plantings just make it a ratherspecial place. The range of colors seen at sunrise and sunset are really quite spectacular.

It also doesn't hurt to have the temperature around 80 degrees when it's in the 40s at home.:?

You're a lucky man!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:12 AM   #10

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
They were not native to Florida, butpets got loose back in the 60's and they have thrived in the wild, and keep reproducing.
For the same reason, there is a small lake surrounded by trees at the ocean inRehoboth Beach, Delaware, that has a stable population of parakeets. It's a mind-warp to walk around there and see those colorful birds, especially considering the area can get some pretty bitter nor'easters in the winter.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote