Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2009, 1:54 AM   #1

I've been busy following my grandson's HS baseball team. This game was 1st of a double header, the temp bottomed in high 30s F with wind the same, high 30s mph.

From the E-3 and 50-200 Zuiko... the IS came in handy with the wind as it was moving me around quite a lot. Due to the field fencing and the 'wired in' dugouts I worked this game down the line 40-60 feet beyond base. Shot in AP mode and RAW format these were converted with Bibble PRO.
_________
boBBrennan

...turning the double play, he is 16 YO, playing his 3rd year on the varsity team.

...same players, roles reversed, different outcome .. sometimes faces aren't necessary

...it is not possible to stay warm, # 5's mom & dad try

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2009, 4:12 AM   #2

These hurt my eyes, they are so sharp! Very nice. I think if I blew the one image up of the play at second where the ball got awayI could probably count a stitch or two in that ball.Not a good day to be out watching baseball. Hopefully, they weren't hitting into that head wind....everything would have been a pop up.

I went to the Stars game this evening and froze walking from where I parked the car to the arena.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 6:32 AM   #3

Great action shots Bob. Looking at the boys in the field you'd never guess it was that cold. The shot of the family sitting in the stands conveys just how'fun' it must have been to sit through the cold.

Warmer days are ahead for us all! (I hope)
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 5:18 PM   #4

First shot's a real nice one Bob. Was your lens wide open? If not, I'd open it up to help with the backgrounds. But if it's already wide open nothing else you can do.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 8:07 PM   #5

Greg, ........thanks much for the nice comments. The wind was blowing out, 3 home runs in game one, none in game two ...pop ups were a fielders worst baseball nightmare.

The team in town is a district team from Lubbock, the weather was snowing in Lubbock when they left for Arlington. We go to Midland in two weeks. For those who may wonder, Lubbock and Midland are each a 5 hour drive from Arlington. That is the scheduling price paid for private and parochial schools districting in Texas.

Zig, .........welcome home! Did you catch fish, may be a Tarpon on one of those beautiful hand tied flies? Give us some photos.

John, ........yes, max aperture for the Zuiko 50-200 (f/2.8 - 3.5). The above field shots are at 200mm f/3.5 ISO 100 1/500s. The whole game was pretty much at 200mm on the lens because of from where I had to work, but I was on the field so no complaints.

The second shot above reminds me to say your wrestling shots in the Sports forum are extra nice.

Thanks all for the comments.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 8:25 AM   #6

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:

Zig, .........welcome home! Did you catch fish, may be a Tarpon on one of those beautiful hand tied flies? Give us some photos.

Hi Bob,

Yes, I actually did manage to catch a Tarpon using a fly. Unfortunately, it was around 5:15am and it was about pitch black, save for the street lights on the bridge. We were fishing from a friend's boat anchored just downcurrent from a bridge. The lights from the bridge attract Tarpon and other predators because the baitfish & shrimpthey eat are attracted to the lights.

Shortly after I hooked up to a baby Tarpon around 50-60lbs, my buddy hooked up to a larger fish and both of us had to concentrate on keeping the fish away from the bridge pilings. Between the lack of light and the mayhem in the water, with 2 Tarpon running amock, there was no time for the camera.

This was the 1st morning that I was in the Keys and all things pointed to a wonderful trip. Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other ideas. The wind picked up later that day blowing 15 to 30mph and was relentless the next 7days. Needless to say, we didn't do any fishing for the rest of the trip.

But, it's good to be back. And, seeing your baseball photos gets me to start thinking about baseball here in the north. Between the Cape Cod Baseball League and the Red Sox, It's going to be another great season.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote