Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:52 AM   #1

Olympus is busy this year.

Here is a link to a press release issued this morning announcing a new E series DSLR named the E450.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09...lympuse450.asp
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:42 PM   #2

Hi Zig

I'm not too sure about the new e450 yet.. it just seems to early to have annouced this camera after the E620(which looks like the small E system camera to get) and the E30. Will we see a 550 soon ?? I think possibly in the summer.. but what do oly add to such a model to differentiate it between its existing cam's ?

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:05 PM   #3

Hey Harj,

This anouncement actually surprised me, in that, I was fully expecting something aboutOly's micro fourthirds entry into the marketplace. It appears to be longoverdue since it's first mention at Photokina.

With the release of the E620, and withit having many of the same components, features, and same sensor as the E30 but with a significantly lower price, it's pretty much a no brainer as to which camera I'd get -the E620. However, it's still 699dollarsUS and given todays economic situation may be too expensive for many who would like to get a dslr.

The release mentioned that the E450 is a price sensitive dslrtruly aimed at the newbie market who want to upgrade from P&S. That makes me scratch my head a bit because isn't that what Oly said was the basis for coming out with microfour thirds?

I can't see Oly supporting the E420 and E450-or for that matter, the market, buy enough of the E450 and E420 to justify keeping both in production.

Time will tell.

Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:57 PM   #4

Everyone is reporting that Olympus will keep both the E420 and E450 in the market together. I can't see how that makes any sense.

Even if they somehow had large stocks of the E420 they wanted to shift, they would have simply delayed the E450 announcement until the stock level dropped.

Truly this is puzzling.

Like others, instead of having any interest in the E450, I'm eagerly awaiting a micro four-thirds announcement. Will there be any decent lenses for this system? Or any bodies big enough to be held like an SLR? (Hint: all it needs is a really good grip, like the Panasonic FZ50. Soap bars like the E420 just slip out of my hands.)

And will the Olympus m43 bodies drive all my old 4/3 lenses, none of which are the special new CDAF style?
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:09 AM   #5

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
Like others, instead of having any interest in the E450, I'm eagerly awaiting a micro four-thirds announcement. Will there be any decent lenses for this system? Or any bodies big enough to be held like an SLR? (Hint: all it needs is a really good grip, like the Panasonic FZ50. Soap bars like the E420 just slip out of my hands.)

And will the Olympus m43 bodies drive all my old 4/3 lenses, none of which are the special new CDAF style?

I'm not sure how soon there will be any significant selection of lenses released specifically manufactured for the micro fourthirds system but there are already adapters being sold today that will allow for the use of Leica M series and screw type mount lenses. Camera Quest is one company that appears to have seen a big opportunity in providing adapters to mountlenses made by Leica, Nikon, Canon as well as Konica and others.

Here is a link to their site that provides additional information:

http://www.cameraquest.com/adp_micro_43.htm

It's a pretty good read.

Also:

43 Rumors announced today, that Olympus will be anouncing their new micro fourthirds camera on the 16th of June. Since today is April fool's Day, who knows.

Anyways, here's a link to their site:

http://43rumors.com/

Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:42 PM   #6

What is really interesting is that the E-450 w/2 lenses will be first released on Mother's day on QVC. This will be about a full month prior to its release in the general market place.
garys17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:09 AM   #7

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
Everyone is reporting that Olympus will keep both the E420 and E450 in the market together. I can't see how that makes any sense.

Even if they somehow had large stocks of the E420 they wanted to shift, they would have simply delayed the E450 announcement until the stock level dropped.

Truly this is puzzling.

Its interesting that different people would like to see different things in the camera. Panny has gone your direction, with a grip and looking like a superzoom.

I'd like to see a camera resembling the mock-up, hold the phony leather or whatever its supposed to be. Throw in some lenses that resemble the Leica-M series and they cam stop at around 150mm. Longer than that, a grip and larger camera would be better,

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:12 AM   #8

When Olympus first announced their micro fourthirds design, I have to admit, I was pretty interested. A camera that issmall-almost small enough to fit in your pocket, when traveling or on vacation but still providingexcellent image quality with the capability of using interchangeable lenses. Sounds perfect-what's not to like.

But then I started thinking about how I really usemy camera, the majority of the timeand realizedthat in practice, the micro fourthirds just can't do what I want it to do. I shoot low light-sunrises, sunsets. I like to shoot birds in flight(although I'm not good at it). I'm always shooting macro. I love using the 50-200mm F2.8 lens because of what it can do as well as the 14-54mm. So far , there are no lenses released in M43 that canmatch those two. Never mind the other fast lenses currently available in fourthirds.

The release of the E620, pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to stick with the Olympus fourthirds system and just get one whenit becomes available. A small camera that seems to be the answer to my needs. At a price that I live with.

Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:19 AM   #9

garys17 wrote:
Quote:
What is really interesting is that the E-450 w/2 lenses will be first released on Mother's day on QVC. This will be about a full month prior to its release in the general market place.
I'm not a QVC shopper so, I can't say hownovel an approach this is as I'm pretty sure other camera companies have put their cameras on that site or a similar one. One thing that I'm pretty sure of though, is that they'll probably sell a bucket load of the 450s. Good for Olympus to have thought of doing that.

The more units they sell, the better for all existing Oly owners as it will keep Olympus in the camera business.

Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:56 AM   #10

I have just checked QVC and they sell Oly, Canon, etc. The prices are higher than other online sellers. Funny though, they sell the Canon 50d and the Oly E520 and E420; and will sell the soon to be released E450 but not the E620. It is not a pricing issue as the Canon 50d is priced at $1569.
garys17 is offline   Reply With Quote